Sign in to follow this  
Partizan2

For once, the game was on my side.

Usually when I play Arkham Horror, the game seems to screw me on purpose. I might be in the final Other World space before I come out to seal..and then I pull one of those dual-colored Other world battle cards and get devoured. Or I'll be rolling 6 dice to close and seal in order to win the game--and I roll 2,4,4,3,2,1 and then the next Mythos wakes up the GOO.

But not today. I usually set up everything randomly. Random GOO: Hastur. Random roard: Kingsport. Random investigators: Luke, Trish, Rex, and Gloria. On my first turn with Luke in the Dreamlands, I drew the special choice gate card from Innsmouth, where I get the choice to draw any unique item and then roll a die for stamina/sanity. "I've got Luke, I've got Kingsport with the Captain of the White Ship open to get. Holy crap! I could actually do the Greater Good mission!"  I went ahead and picked it out, didn't go insane, and went for the win with a mission.

And that's what we did. For the first time in my life, I actually acquired the Captain of the White Ship cards. And for the first time, I actually won a game via a special mission. Man, I'm on cloud nine.

Yea, it's true what they say about AH:  the game often plays you, but that's part of the fun-to make the best out of what you've been dealt.

I wish they would've included more tasks and missions in the items decks-a few of the missions aren't even worth taking. Wave of Destruction anyone?

FANTASTIC, Partizan!  I've only acquired the White Ship once myself (also with Luke), but it wasn't for so noble a cause.  Enjoy your bragging rights! aplauso.gif

...because your game is listening, and is ready to take you back to your personal hell of near-misses and rigged die rolls. demonio.gif

Partizan, my deepest compliments and congratulations!  I am very impressed that you not only completed that Mission, but had the daring and vision to purposefully it with the Yellow Innsmouth Dreamlands card!  And the fact that it was Luke, of all Investigators, who dreamed up the Mission makes this arguably the most thematic Arkham victory I've ever read about! 

There were a lot things that all stacked up rightly.

1. The GOO was Hastur. Usually the Greater Good is a waste, because with just one more clue you can seal instead of spending the 4 clue tokens. But Hastur's 8 clues to seal makes the mission a lot more tempting.

2. It was Luke. His starting postion makes it faster to get the White Ship. He can close a gate quickly and then only needs 5 toughness of monster trophies to grab the White Ship. And with Luke getting a clue everytime he enters an Otherworld space, that means he only needs 2 clues before going into the Other World. That's not too hard, especially if someone gives him a Tome or something that helps out his effort to get some clues. Luke + White Ship is really an awesome combo. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't Luke.