Sign in to follow this  
larryhoteep

problem with blessing of health.

I have a problem with a priest in my group. He always uses Blessing of Health to clean the stress and the fatigue from the other characters. This makes the rest, or lack off, not so dramatic... 

How could I discourage him from keeping him to do that. I would prefer the solution being in-game, not just talking to him...

Thanks guys! 

LarryHoTeep said:

I have a problem with a priest in my group. He always uses Blessing of Health to clean the stress and the fatigue from the other characters. This makes the rest, or lack off, not so dramatic... 

How could I discourage him from keeping him to do that. I would prefer the solution being in-game, not just talking to him...

Thanks guys! 

I go for that outside combat 1 turn is roughly one hour. So the recharge of 2 means that you have to wait a couple of hours befor doing it again. Why does it take so much longer to recharge outside combat you might ask. Well, the god do not care about you as much when you are not in trouble in my opinion. When in combat the god you pray to is activly helping you, hence the speed of the blessings. When you have more time on your hands, the god can prioritize someone else, or just make you wait for the heck of it.

That slows the usage quite a bit I've noticed. The player needs to prioritize those with most stress/fatigue, and let the others sleep it off instead. And I find that when the priest have to make decisions like "I'll help you, you have to wait" is adding to the warhammer feeling. Mostly I only allow one Curry favour attempt every hour, and that slows the casting quite a bit, since in my oppinion the recharge tokens are not added to the blessing untill it is invoced (when the favour requirement is fulfilled). The same thing may be applied to the blessing itself, if you fail the invocation check you can not retry until about an hour has passed.
The gods do not liked to be disturbed about the same thing over and over again and this is something the priest knows and respects (hopefully the priest respects his gods wishes).

Another effect of this is that it makes the favour recharge slower outside of combat, as you regain 1 at the end of each turn, so 1 each hour. And the rule also makes most other out-of-combat actions more useful when they have success lines like "while this card is recharging". It also limits the use of certain exhaust to use talents, since you can only use them every four hours or so. I let all cards fully recharge at the beginning of combat though.

I really need to read on the recharge mechanics, but the way i work is very similar to the above.

In my mind ... a 'turn', can be considered an action or roll, regardless of the RL time duration such an action would take. Maybe link it to a given unit of adrenaline consumed :) Therefore, in combat each turn involves people attacking, rolling and risking stress and fatigue, Adrenalin flows, the gods look on etc. And then you spend the afternoon doing house to house enquiries for the .. whatever .. each house a different encounter, maybe a single roll to determine reactions - really looking for boon and banes to get story ideas, not so intense, each 'turn' here is lasting about 10 minutes. Realise they are in the wrong place and need to travel somewhere else through dangerous woods. Maybe now every hour with observation rolls to see what happens, if a bunch of banes appear 'ambush'.

Favour recharges on an 'end of turn', therefore there needs to have been a 'turn' for this to occur :)

This might not be your issue, but this is why i asked where they were getting the favour from. The priest in my group slipped into thinking that favour recharges when nothing else is happening. No .. something is always happening, even if that is just sitting round for a morning. In combat situations, he was using Curry Favour a lot, to power Sigmar's Hammer, but the stress gains he was getting were becoming problematic.

Check the video of a "Small But Vicious Seminar" from Gencon this fall that Jay Little did.  He clarified in there that the intent was for healing to be allowable only once per Act (essentially).  It doesn't matter how long an Act technically is, whether hours or days, a particular person can only be healed by a particular method once in that Act.  Thus, no spamming of the same healing blessing over and over outside of combat, nor continuous first aid checks outside of combat, etc.

For me it's very simple really.

While you can use the "once per act" thing, I'd rather keep it in the spirit of the game.

So if a priest keeps calling for his god to aid him, then at one point the god will teach him a very valuable leason!!!

Try being without favour for 1 week, or untill severe penance has been done, that will teach the priest to be more humble...

To me priests have their gods they can anger, and mages have the chaotic forces that can interrupt them, it's a nice balance.

Fabs said:

In combat situations, he was using Curry Favour a lot, to power Sigmar's Hammer, but the stress gains he was getting were becoming problematic.

Can't do this.  Sigmar's Hammer specifies you must have the favor before you cast it (so you can't curry for the hammer).

BUT - as to the OPs questions ... what type of priest is this?  Sigmarites and Ulrican's would probably just tell people to suck it up and take a knee.  If people are deep-bone weary from fighting all day, they might have 'uncurable' fatigue/stress that just re-apply as soon as they are healed.  If its a shallayan, they may not want to keep healing even stress away unless its significant (know a battle is coming up) as the people may come to rely on this.

Possibly their god can show disfavor/displeasure with their actions?

Alot that can be done.

shinma said:

Can't do this.  Sigmar's Hammer specifies you must have the favor before you cast it (so you can't curry for the hammer)

Ta. It was actually this post that reminded me i wanted to go and check up on that as it just felt worng when in game, and i questioned it. The player seemed quite adamant that was how it plays out so I let it slide for that session. This thread reminded me to go back and check, and actually read the card (those rules are there for the players not for me) and discover for myself that little clause. Makes a lot more sense now.

Anyway ... back to the thread.

Fabs said:

Ta. It was actually this post that reminded me i wanted to go and check up on that as it just felt worng when in game, and i questioned it. The player seemed quite adamant that was how it plays out so I let it slide for that session. This thread reminded me to go back and check, and actually read the card (those rules are there for the players not for me) and discover for myself that little clause. Makes a lot more sense now.

Anyway ... back to the thread.

I play a sigmarite ^_~ Quite familiar with that little clause.  Figured I'd share.