Sign in to follow this  
Gregorius21778

[Input Requested] Ideas for FORBIDDEN creatures of Dusk

Hi everyone,

a while ago I started a topic to milk your minds for concept for creatures to populate the miserable swamps on il-famed Dusk.

Now, I am asking for something similiar with a little bit of refinery

I am lookfing for creatures that would be FORBIDDEN to export (by imperial law).

Background:
My Dusk group completet their cult-hunting and will now be involved in a "transsion mission" where they will be recruited by badly decimated acolythe group to help them along to find out about beast hunters smuggling forbidden creatues to arena pits on other planets (They want to play "ordo xenos", I generally plan to use the Beast House as re-occuring enemy).

So, what I need now are creatures that would bef FORBIDDEN...and a reason why.

I already have the Dusk Stalker on my list...simply for the reason to less is known about it, so their is a ban (in my game world) on trading this creatures.

I came up with small semi-sentient impish creatures (nightmare-goblins) that hunt at night but use warp-senses (and are thereby banned by law) but use as "horror-show" in the "pre-main-event" shows of illegal arenas ("feeding christians to the lions")

As my third idea, I have a huge humnoid bat-thing that is able to tap into the warp to create fear and is able to senses creatures (dubbed "Soul Hunter") but has a chance of evoking phenomena if no longer on Dusk (thereby banned).

Last idea (not fleshed out to be creature) is something that procreates by implanting a larva into living or dead wood (dubbed "tree wraith" since the females tend to protect the brood-trees).

Otherwise, I am little hampered for ideas that allow to reason that a creature is FORBBIDEN. Horrible Creatures? Can come up with that. Reason why it should be illegal to export/imprt? My mind is only filled with warp.

I am thankfull for every fresh idea!

Hypnotoad. (A psy-toad, nice and simple. If you want to push the boat out, make it giant and floaty, and lazy. Like a Slann.)

Giant Spider. (A huge ol' spider. Relies on vibration to ambush prey. Not hanging about in a web, jumping out from an extravagantly elaborate trap. Super-fast sortof thing. In a square fight, it's actually not too impressive. In an ambush, it's a beast. Best thing: have it break out of a cage and set up nest somewhere...)

Velociraptors (Of the Jurrassic Park variety, not the paleontology-accurate version. I.e. hyper-intelligent pack hunters which are precisely as dangerous as XKCD's author thinks they are.)

I know they're not exactly original ideas by any means, but I think they're generic enough to be fulfilled by any sort of non-specific creature too. The 'idea' or 'niche' of the creature can be radically different. The Velociraptors could be replaced by big ducks, the giant spider by any old batrachian and the hypnotoad could easily be a hypnosheep...

My own group have recently just played a game on Dusk with my character being resident from there. She sought out a cerapede, so I'd recommend there being some 'less vicious' creatures too, just for contrast. They have, however, consistently named Dusk 'Space Australia'. So all of the above should be, of course, Space Australian Animals. Like the hypnoroo, the giant wombat and the velocioala. Arguably it somewhat lessens the seriousness of the situation, but the players will take it seriously once they start losing limbs to them.

Speaking of Space Australia: space bears.

Yeah it doesn't have to be that dangerous really.  Just weird looking (maybe it has 6 nipples or something). 

Anything that can't be controlled actively would be on the list.  If it can get loose and go do it's own thing.

Or maybe stuff that just breeds out of control in other environments.

Things with venom.

Any parasitic creature to a human host.

Maybe some type of fly that contaminates food supplies.

An endangered creature on Dusk that only Nobles/wealthy get to hunt there.  They prohibit it just because they want it all to themselves.

Maybe things are forbidden to export for the same reason as many things on Earth shouldn't be- they aggressively overrun other ecosystems.  Imagine Agri-worlds swarmed by Dusk locusts or toads.  Or voracious and quick growing vines that spread throughout and undermine a hive world. 

I imagine many plants and animals could be used as or processed into drugs (don't lick dusk frogs kids!).  If you want to push this further, some of these drugs might put a user in touch w/ the warp, insuring that they're extra illegal. 

Hi there,

first, thanks for the replies. I have some good grasp on the concept "why is it dangerous to dangerous to export". The problematic think is to combine this fact with "but it is never the less sought after in an arena". 

Example creatures or examples of how exactly would be the most helpfull to me.

@Hypno-Toad
I thought about it one minute for myself. But all of my players in this group are huge fans of Futurama, so they will laugh non-stop and all atmosphere would be gone. lengua.gif

@Giant Spider
I think I will turn it into a jump spider (the ones that neither build traps nor nests but simply go around and tackle their prey while jumping). In addition, the beasti will be able to spin up prey and it with eggs. And will be able to do so very frequent and for a long-long time (ones "mated"),  thereby spreading aggressively. On Dusk, this is kept in check by a huge population of other creatures that hunt the smaller spiders. On any other world, it is a threat to the ecosystem since it is able  to spread much to fast. THANK YOU!  I think it will be named the "Dusk Xisor Spider", named afert the Magos Biologis who discovered and cataloged it.

@Homo Velociraptus
Hmm... an interesting idea. Have to think about it

A few suggestions of my own:

Slaybacks - Vaguely humanoid, multi-limbed ambhibious creatures.  Their skin is a pale grayish white, the kind of color that tends to absorb light rather then reflect it.  Equally comfortable in either water or on land, all four limbs end in three clawed (toed?) appendages.  The claws are hooked, but not particularly sharp, however they can lock together, either singly around a limb or claw to claw around larger targets.  This gives the Slayer a significant bonus to maintaining a grapple, once its got a good hold.

On the ovoid torso is a large rubbery orifice, disturbingly similar to an inverted lamprey mouth that pushes outward and into the body of the victim.  The fangs on this orifice flex and tear, as the orifice simultaneously bores and shreds into the target, loudly slurping down blood and viscerae.  The Slayback seems to instinctively seek to prolong the suffering of its victim, consuming both the blood and screams of its victim in equal measure.  If the target dies, the Slayer immediately loses interest in the victim, regardless of how much blood remains in the corpse.  As long as a Slayer is feeding, it allows the Slayer to regenerate at an extremely rapid rate, giving others nearby the stark choice of either killing the victim to stop the regeneration or raining blows on the Slayer that disappear as fast as the damage is done...

Slaybacks vary greatly in size, with most being the weight of a large canid or small human, though the weight is distributed oddly, much of the mass being in the extremely powerful limbs and heavy clawed hands.  Slaybacks exhibit no sign of sentience but have been known to hunt in packs, often centered around one or two particularly large examples of the breed, often assumed to be the patriarchs or matriarchs of the group.  Psykers react very poorly to the Slaybacks, citing nausea and a deeply disturbing mental "static" whenever the creatures are near.  The Slaybacks (like many Dusk creatures) are highly resistant to the warp and psychic powers, and seem to prefer hunting Psykers. 

Some anecdotal reports suggest that Slaybacks reproduce after feeding sufficiently, and that consuming the life energy of a Psyker allows them to propagate faster.  Slayback spawn are much smaller then full grown adults and usually drip from the torso of their spawnparent, immediately seeking to feed and grow.  Sometimes these spawnlings follow the parents like a small horde, other times they spread out and attempt to establish their own niches.  No pattern has been discerned in this behavior.

Slaybacks are favored in the arenas due to the gruesome deaths they cause, but utterly banned because spawnlings can easily be overlooked after an adult makes a kill, causing further infestations with the potential to grow dangerously out of control.  The unknown nature of the creatures psychic characteristics also places it firmly on the list of Ordo Xenos' banned creatures.

Wireworms - Living primarily in the trees of Dusk's swamps and jungles, wireworms are actually amalgamated creatures, consisting of three or four  symbiotic creatures.  The result is a strange, elongated cluster of writhing tubes, grouped around several swollen pods housing the creature serving as the digestive system.  At a distance, the creature can be mistaken for a very large snake when in motion.  Favoring ambush attacks, wireworms generally prefer to find a high place and lay in wait, draping itself throughout the limbs of a jungle tree.  Except for the occasional writhing twitch, the wireworms can make themselves look very much like mosses or other vegetation, but their natural camouflage and ambush tactics fail outside of their preferred environment.

Wireworms earn their name when they spring into attack, typically dropping down on their victim or propelling themselves onto the enemy in an almost engulfing attack.  Once in close combat, the Wireworm's many flailing tubes will latch on to the victim and begin to convulse and spasm, sending out thousands of tightly bundled, nearly mono-filament wires.  When they strike the victim, these bundles will usually penetrate the outer layer of skin and even flak armor.  As soon as the tip of the bundle encounters soft tissues however, the bundles burst open in a spray blood and destruction in a fashion very similar to bolt rounds.  For this reason, if a wireworm deals any damage in excess of a target's Toughness and Armor, the damaging attack automatically deals an additional 1d10 damage.  A victim fully engulfed by an ambushing wireworm is usually attacked multiple times and ripped apart from the inside in short order.

The only real way to fight a wireworm is to keep it at a distance, which is not impossible to do as the creature is fairly slow moving.  However, even so, the bundles of "worms" can lash out to many meter's distance from the central mass of the creature's digestive system, grouped in several large swellings near the center of the worm mass.  Preferably, these organs should be targetted by ranged fire, since attempting to damage them in close combat would expose an attacker to multiple "worm" assaults.  If no ranged weaponry are available, an attacker is better served attempting to duel the worms themselves, slowly reducing the worm's ability to fight back.

For an unknown reason, wireworms stop growing when removed from Dusk, so only adult sized Wireworms (usually massing up to 300 kilograms) are favored by the arenas.  However, such huge creatures are very dangerous, especially in the close confines of most arena fights, and very spectacular to see as the gladiators contend with lashing, whip-like attacks from hundreds of worm-limbs.  Of course, the spectacularly explosive results of a wireworm's successful attacks are also crowd pleasers.

Wireworms are not really banned from exportation, since they seem to be unable to grow or breed when removed from Dusk, and in fact are known to enter into a fatal frenzy shortly after being removed from the planet.  However, they are extremely hazardous to obtain and thus full sized specimens are exceedingly rare and correspondingly expensive.  They also require a great deal of care to restrain, since they seem to never sleep and when removed from their familiar environment enter into a semi-permanent frenzy as they attempt to find their way back into a familiar setting.  Some beast slavers have circumvented this by transporting entire trees, only removing the wireworms for arena bouts but this is at best a temporary measure, as Dusk vegetation is notoriously difficult to keep alive away from the planet's tainted eco system.

Due to the diluted nature of their nervous systems, Wireworms are all but impossible to affect with psychic powers targetting the mind, and for some reason they are all but immune to fire.

Hi BladeHate,

thank you very much, this were quiet inspiring. The Slayerback is really bizarre. I think I will focus on the "blood" part and make the regeneration ability the reason for the ban. In addition, I will make this creatures rare on Dusk.  First reported by the famous Beasthunter "Balin Hayt".  For my language (german) I will translate them into "Schlachterrücken". In case of procreation, I am actually thinking of a sludge that is poured out of the same orifices as waste. With the difference that this sludge will develope into some kind of blobb which forms a larva stadium. Later, it will puppeteer and and the slime-bag will hatch a Slaughterback. The only way to destroy the slime effectively is fire...so one would need to burn everything the creature excrates in order to be on the sure site...

I am still puzzled about how a Wireworm looks like and how it attacks. This will be due to my lack of englisch, but the concept of a moving(?) cluster of flaying worms sproting tiny piercing tentacles like in "The Faculty" is pretty "far-out" as well. In order to increase the "ban-value", I will change the attack from "ripping the target appart" into "causing a unbelievable fast evolving cell-cancer due to unindentified bio-poisons". If delivered in to weak a dosage to maim (15 secounds) and finally kill (one minute) the victim, the poison still remains active in the cells and will  be delivered by body fluids. With a small but heinous chance of infection of third parties. Which will be the reason why this creature is banned from all other worlds.

Thank you very much for the inspirations, this was very helpful!

Anytime =).  I like your additions too.

I sort of left the descriptions slightly vague for a reason, since that way it gives people a chance to let their imaginations run wild.  But essentially the wireworms are just a huge bundle of living whips clustered around a lumpy, slow moving center. 

I also tried to consider that the beasts would need some kind of entertainment value, as well as thinking ways to challenge players.  So yeah, the Slayback was designed to "abuse" the Grapple mechanic (with the regen twist...especially if its a PC caught in its grip) and the wireworm was a way to inject some "ranged" melee combat or reach based fights where the players couldn't just whack away at the wounds on the creature (well, they can but some kind of creative tactics might serve them better...).

I'm glad you found it helpful =).

Sure they may laugh initially at Hypnotoad, up until you tell them their character is putting their gun in their own mouth and tightening their finger on the trigger.

Oh and make sure to record and play the sound effect when using hypnotoad.

I have almost convinced myself to put hypnotoad into the game I'm running.

Whisperwill

The Whisperwill is a rare creature on Dusk, that has developed extensive latent psychic powers to hunt and protect itself.  Known to cloak itself through the use of psychic powers, the creature is difficult to find or even to see.  While cloaked, the creature will attempt to dull the mind of potential victims, lulling them into a dull stupor before initiating an attack.  Most survivors who have encountered the creature describe this as a quiet, hissing whisper that seems to leech their will away until they fall into a semi-comatose doze.

Despite its power, the Whisperwill only risks a direct confrontation if forced into it, or if certain that the victim is sufficiently disabled.  However, once it attacks it does so with a merciless precision.  Without its cloak of psychic power, the Whisperwill is a tall, almost emaciated figure with four upper arms all ending in jagged, ripping bone blades and an almost centauriod lower body.  When it attacks it emits a constant shrill psychic scream.  If possible, the creature will use the two meter long blades to impale a victim and use the remaining blades to cut chunks of still bloody flesh from the screaming victim.  These chunks are brought to a grinding, almost cow-like orifice in the abdomen where the meat is crushed into paste and swallowed.

The Whisperwill has no head or obvious sensory organs, leading most to speculate that it operates using psychic senses.  The very few that see the Whisperwill without its chameleon cloak describe it as a nightmare of bone swords and horrid wailing like the damned crying otu from hell.

from france

psycho-reactive grass. not active not really sentient but used like a drug it enhanced a psy level by +1 but augment the risk of lossing control. after each use  you have a cumulative 5% to increase the lv by 1 and to completely loose control.  when you reach 50% and you fumble you don't roll on the psychic phenomena it 's always 99/100.

if you have no psychic power  and that you use it nothing happens but you become additct to it nonetheless and you have to roll like a psycker at the first fumble you develope a wild talent.

if you developpe a wild talent you are treated like a normal psycker for the rest of the mechanism.

it is because of it's spectacular effect tha the grass if bothbane  by imperial authourity and highly wanted by radical and heretic.

just my litlle contribution.

now back to the "aperitif"

My previous post was a bit rushed and after looking it over I decided I was trying to do too much in one creature.  Made a few changes:

Whisperwill

The Whisperwill is a rare creature on Dusk, that has developed extensive latent psychic powers to hunt and protect itself. Known to cloak itself through the use of psychic powers, the creature is difficult to find or even to see. While cloaked, the creature will attempt to dull the mind of potential victims, lulling them into a dull stupor before initiating an attack. Most survivors who have encountered the creature describe this as a quiet, hissing whisper that seems to leech their will away until they fall into a semi-comatose doze.

Despite its power, the creature is a cautious and intelligent hunter.  Whenever possible it will attack with the element of surprise on its side, or if a victim is incapacitated.  When it does attack it does so with speed and ruthlessness, the psychic whispering rising into a screaming cacophony of wails that further frightens its victims, but may also warn them of an imminent attack.  Once it drops its psychic cloak, the Whisperwill resembles a monstrous amalgam of bat and spider.  Many segmented and multi limbed, the Whisperwill is a nightmare to look upon.  Tattered, ragged membranes of flesh extend between the hooked, chitinous limbs and serve to aid it in its psychic powered flight.  The many chitinous segments are all twisted and strange to look at...resembling nothing so much as a frozen, screaming face trapped beneath the carapace...the mouths of these faces begin to glow with the pale, liquid blue light of corposanct (ghostfire) as the Whisperwill attacks and the psychic screaming begins.

If faced with a single opponent, the Whisperwill always attempts to impale the target with multiple limbs.  If this is achieved it will spasm convulsively, destroying the target in a welter of blood and gore.  The psychic screaming becomes disturbingly triumphant when the Whisperwill makes a kill.  Against multiple opponents the Whisperwill will fight cautiously, utilizing the full range of its abilities.  Using its Flight abilities and cloaks it will always attack from an unexpected direction, striking with surprise and then retreating rapidly and recloaking.

Possible ways for clever acolytes to overcome the Whisperwill might include psychic powers like White Noise or others with similar effects.  As the creature possesses no physical senses, a merciful GM might deem it particularly sensitive to any such abilities or effects, possibly blinding or confusing the creature.  Alternatively, attempting to use area of effect attacks against likely hiding spots might help to flush out the creature, or at least limit its mobility.

Dammit...rushed again...

How about ...

Dusk Drake

This reptiloid predator/scavenger looks something like a large Terran Monitor Lizard. It inhabits the swamps, salt-marshes, river valleys, and inlets. It is fast for it's bulk, having long muscular legs, and can reach amazing speeds in short bursts. While it would be formidable on its own, its most horrifying feature is the symbiotic microbial warp-germs that infest its mouth and saliva. Even on Dusk, these make the Dusk Drake a menace to be feared. These sybiotes are slightly psychic, and grant the beast the equivalent of the Sense Presence power constantly. This, as you might imagine, is a great boon to its hunting ability. They also have a more dangerous ability, however. While the creature is on Dusk, anyone "lucky" enough to survive an attack by the Dusk Drake, has likely only prolonged their agonizing death. When these warp-germs are introduced into a living body, they almost unfailingly induce a virulent and rapidly progressing infection that quickly drives the victim mad with pain, before killing it in a matter of hours.

While this might be horrific enough in its own right, the true nightmare of these symbiotes only becomes apparent when removed from the tainted environs of Dusk. Anywhere else, and the infection caused by these germs progresses much more slowly, allowing time for their foul warp-taint to suffuse the victim. As such when the victims do die, they rise again as the equivalent of plague zombies, who can also spread the infection. And even if the victim somehow shakes off the infection and survives, they are forever corrupted by its touch.

That seems adequate to account for a FORBIDDEN status.

On days like these, I cannot but love the forum. One request, so many inspiring replies. happy.gif

@8th spider & the psycho-reactive grass
While not actually something a beasthunter would up-root for the arena, it makes for another good "forbidden good" for my evil-doers to transport. I the players and pc alike will not come up with any clue for the presence of loads of grass but for feeding animals. 
In addition, this grass will help to explain psychic ablitis in herbivore creatures. Anway, I will make it rare. And of course, if somebody stays for long in a patch of grass, he will need to pass a simple fear test. If failed, his fears echos and the fear tests grow worse as he gets more paranoid. Some kind of "plant defense mechanismen". Thank you very much, spider.

@BladeHate
A disturbing creature, for sure. I think I will cancel my "soul hunter" for your concept. It is more frightening and deserves the FORBIDDEN trait due to the damage such creatures can do the moral of the viewers (which was one "xenos threat" in the DotdG, as far as I remember). Instead of camoflage, I think I will give it the "Phase" Trait and this half-body trait from the xenos kit in the GM kit. Thank you very much for the refined version

@Sister
Simple idea, but good concept. Since in my personal list I already many creatures forbidden by some warp-effect, I think I will make it something else: the bite the creature is gene-altering and is bites prey regulary, for apparent reason. This not only "scare tactic", but the next generation will start to lack some chemistry so it becomes more docile. And this trait spreads by procreation. The Dusk Drake defense it´s territory (and "herd") visiously from other predators (which would have otherwise an easy way with its prey). Thank you very much for the DuskDrake

Gregorius21778 said:

@Sister
Simple idea, but good concept. Since in my personal list I already many creatures forbidden by some warp-effect, I think I will make it something else: the bite the creature is gene-altering and is bites prey regulary, for apparent reason. This not only "scare tactic", but the next generation will start to lack some chemistry so it becomes more docile. And this trait spreads by procreation. The Dusk Drake defense it´s territory (and "herd") visiously from other predators (which would have otherwise an easy way with its prey). Thank you very much for the DuskDrake

Glad you liked it, Gregorius.  I find I like your idea as well.  I may have to go back and do a little tinkering with ye olde Dusk Drake.  cool.gif

Corpse Shambler

Nowhere else is the tainted nature of Dusk's eco system and the disaster that befell the world more evident then in the Corpse Shambler.  The Shambler is a large, crab-like creature with a broad shell covering its back.  Ragged spikes, tumorous protrusions and weird ridges and whorls cover this shell.  The tumors are covered in tiny holes that constantly weep a thick, foul smelling liquid that serves as the suspension fluid for the Marrow Break virus (see below).  Arrayed under the shell are many jointed limbs, but they have no apparent symmetry and even the number and placement of limbs varies radically for every Shambler.  The random nature of the creature's locomotive limbs gives it a distinct, lurching waddle that has given the creature one half of its name.  Despite this cumbersome gait, the Shambler can actually move quite quickly over any kind of terrain.

At the front of the shell, the Shambler has two "eyes" the size of dinner plates.  These eyes glow with the green, sickly light of deep cavern fungi and seem to serve no practical purpose as the creature has evinced no reaction to flash bangs or other attempts to blind it.  Arrayed beneath the glowing patches are the Shambler's grabbing limbs.  Like the rest of the misshapen monster, these limbs are random in number but usually range from 2 to 4.  These limbs are generally far stronger and larger then the locomotive limbs, and are the Shambler's primary method of attacking and feeding.  The grab claws are horridly agile, and the creature typically uses them to sift through swamp debris and catch small, agile animals such as fish, amphibians or rodents.  In combat with larger creatures the Shambler constantly rubs these limbs across the top of its shell, collecting and spreading the Marrow Break virus onto its grab claws.

The carnivorous creature eagerly attacks large prey, confident in its size and the strength of its carapace and the lethality of the Marrow Break virus.  When attacking large prey, the Shambler will strike with as many of its claws on one target as possible.  If it strikes with two or more limbs, it is then allowed to do an additional special move.  If the shambler is fighting multiple opponents, it will most often throw its targetted victim onto its armored, spiked back with a practiced flick-twitch, and then attack another target, hoping that the rough landing on the razor sharps spikes and oozing tumors will either kill or incapacitate the original target.  Against a single opponent, the shambler will instead twist and rip, doing additional damage and guaranteeing that the target is exposed to the Marrow Break virus.

The Marrow Break virus is a hemotoxin lethal to almost all carbon based lifeforms.  And in humans it has a particularly nasty effect.  When first introduced into a target's bloodstream (Either from the Shambler's claws or landing on its spiked back), the toxin paralyzes the target (Toughness saved to resist, difficulty based on how heavy the exposure is).  If the victim is paralyzed, the Shambler will promptly impale it on its back and allow the virus to continue its gruesome work.  After a minute or two, the virus will flood through the victims system, accumulating in the victims bone marrow.  As the virus builds up, it will begin a bio-chemical reaction that super heats small portions of the bone marrow, causing it to detonate as though a mini-grenade had exploded inside the victims bones.  The process is extremely agonizing and would be lethal if not for the paralytic nature of the virus.  The marrow breaks are not always enough to sever limbs or flesh, leaving the victim writhing as his bone marrow warps and deforms under the mini-plasmic explosions inside his own body.

Whether the victim succumbs on the Shambler's back or after exposure, the Shambler will endeavor to place the victim on its broad shell, preferably held in place by one or more of the spikes covering it.  This is how the creature feeds, as the virus slowly breaks down the victims body from the inside out.  The resulting putrifying ooze as the corpse slowly dissolves will run down across the shell and into small, armored ridges along the underside of the shell where the Shambler ingests the corpse slurry.

The victim usually dies fairly quickly, but it is not unknown that the victim remains alive, spiked onto the shambler's back and occasionally moaning or gibbering quietly in terrible pain.  Locals sometimes call the Shamblers the Moaners for this reason, and mercy killing such victims (preferably with a long ranged rifle) is an act of charity highly regarded even amongst Dusk's hardened indigents. 

Perhaps the most horrifying thing about the Shambler is also the easiest to overlook.  The many whorls and ridges that mark the creature's shell are identical to the patterns of a human's thumb print.  Exactly what this means or how it can even be possible is unknown.  Any character intelligent enough to see this pattern is likely to cause some very disturbing possibilities to rise up in his or her mind, quite possibly resulting in some insanity which could also be shared to his less perceptive fellows if he mentions it...

Use peoples phobias. Heartlessly.

If you got someone who dont like spiders within you group, hit them with spiderlike thing. If you have someone with clastufobia have them flee into a cave, and face them with a cave dweller. Know your group and use it against them.

I like small creatures, like millions of tiny waps. Unless you got a really good pyromancer you screwd with normal tactics and got to flee.

w176 said:

Use peoples phobias. Heartlessly.

If you got someone who dont like spiders within you group, hit them with spiderlike thing. If you have someone with clastufobia have them flee into a cave, and face them with a cave dweller. Know your group and use it against them.

I like small creatures, like millions of tiny waps. Unless you got a really good pyromancer you screwd with normal tactics and got to flee.

Hi

Thanks for input, but the question is not "how to make creatures scarry?" but "what would classify a scarry creature as FORBIDDEN by imperial law?" gui%C3%B1o.gif

from france

glad like you like it.

how about this one.

living mud clone: it can live for centuries inert but when someone drink water tainted with  this mud unless he pass a hard test he become weak and ill for 1.10 days. after trowing the mud (after 1d10 week during the recovery phase) he feel good like if cleanse from corruption and madness (remove 1d10 point of coruption and madness per day of illness)

it seem so that at fisrt glance it 's benefic. it's not.

the mud absorb cells of the host and began to developpe a form of primal intelligence. so it will try to reach a hot moist cavern or something that looks like. it s not know how but it grows to the size of the host and adopt it s form and gain his memories that the host has when he absorbed de mud.

after years it has all the talents and skills of the host with complet memories but the living mud clone also retains the corruption and insanity lost by the host. he also has a false memory. it certain that the host is the clone and that he is responsible for his fate. he had only one desire drive his host to the point of madness and corruption just to show him how it looks to be miserable.

it will stop at nothing to do that, it will kill, plot, usurp the identity and so on until the host suicide or as a act of justice killing him.

the living mud clone don' know that when he kills or if the host suicide it automaticaly die. if the host is kill before  the clone is fully develop it die.

the living mud clone canno't reproduce he is not fully humane and it s probably how it can be detected as a something else than human.  it has the untouchable trait when growned but before that it dies iof ingest by a psy (not sorcery)

it is know only as the "my other self" by some witch of dusk who often seek them as a form of judgement for criminal who are really gulty and who always says it was not me but someone who look like me or i wans't in control.

for the witch it s a form of poetic justice. in this case justice and poesie belong to the twisted sense of humour of the witch of dusk.

it s unclear if their is a link between the relation of the witch (psycker) and how the living mud clone react to psycker at the different periode of his life.

the clone can be kill as normal.

Bladehate said:

Corpse Shambler

A deranged mind as mine, helping me with new sets of monsters. I am so happy.

Personally, I will have the following changes.

1) The corpse -smell of the shambler is it´s method of attracting prey. Like the "light ball eyes" as well.

2) The inconstant form is a sign of a mutation the whole species seems to suffer from (**** Dusk!). Thereby, it is forbidden

3) I will either change the illness (Break Marrow...nice!) to a venom or will not incorporate that the creature is deliberately using it. This would suggest
far more intelligence then a huge mutated crab-monster should have (at least in my books).

By the way: clever approach! After the Ripsaw Scuttler AND your nice beasti here, my players will think "Dusk" when ever they see a crab or a lobbster.

@8th spider & the mud doublegangers

Hmm... mud that emulates everything thats worse in somebody and becomes his poisenous look-alike.

I think I will use this, but rather as a daemonic manifestation. Especially the "suicidal behaviour" seems rather unfitting for a biological species. For a spawn of the warp only intended on misery and malice, it is just fine. 

This could even be importet into the arenas. As some kind of Horror-show. 

Thanks again, eight-legged-one! 

So far, a big thank you to all of you!

Over the cause of the next days, I will see if I can find the time to write things up, add some stats and post it as a free PDF.

Although, I will make some change as I see fit. Of course, all of you will be credited for your original ideas.

Important: If one of you does =NOT= agree with his/her ideas being used that way, please inform me (inside of this topic). 

I honour such wishes and will thereby exclude the material. 

Thanks again!

Peacekeeper_b said:

I recommend converting some of the critters from The Warhammer Companion. Such as: Amoeba (Giant), Blood Sedges, Bog Octopi, Chameleech and Patchwork men (createdby Dusk Hags?).

A fine suggestion for sure...if one is to own that tome, that is! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Gregorius21778 said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

I recommend converting some of the critters from The Warhammer Companion. Such as: Amoeba (Giant), Blood Sedges, Bog Octopi, Chameleech and Patchwork men (createdby Dusk Hags?).

A fine suggestion for sure...if one is to own that tome, that is! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Hmmm.

Perhaps I will do it then! That'll help you out.