Sign in to follow this  
Dicenilee

Looking at starting playing this game

Hi all, i have been considering trying Tannhauser it for sometime.

I have read a number of places that the first edition rules are abit gash but the revised addition is alot better, can you tell me, are they now stocking the original game with these new advised rules, or do you still need to buy them as a supliment ???

I have noticed there are a number of expansions avalible, do they make the game more complex or are they a welcome addition?

I have noticed also extra miniatures, are rules for these included in the expansions, what purpose do these new figures have.

I'm going to get Dust tactics when its launched ( fingers crossed anytime soon ) so dont want to end up with two games with bucket loads of expensive add on sets.

Cheers in advance for help

Niv

There should be a sticker on the box telling you if the new rules are included.

As for Tannhauser's expansions, while they are not necessary to enjoy the game the do greatly expand your options, and you may find that some of the expansions fit your play style better than others. Also, they don't add tons of new rules and Tannhauser is designed to reduce complexity as much as possiable.

Finally, the price of most Tannhauser expansion is $20 or less so, expensive is always a matter of oppinion.

Another couple of thoughts, some people have been buying the download of the new rules for $5 to see if they like the game based on that alone.

Also, there are a few people like myself producing Tannhauser custom material, if your in to that sort of thing, this game lends it self to a vast array of custom creations.

If your interested in seeing some Tannhauser custom stuff, check my blog link in my signature, if your there, be sure to check out Doc Savage's blog there's a link on the right.

OK, ATM in the shops their are copies of the game that include the Revised Rules, and those without, their is a sticker on the back of the Box to mark the ones that have the revised rules, some stores and distributors may still be trying to clear old stock so their are still some 1st ed copies of the game out there. the ones strait from FFG come with the Revised Rules book

You don't need the Expansions, but it makes the game better, any complexety added is optional, the 1st ed rules are included in the single Figure packs along with the Minituere Character Card, Character tokens and Bonus Tokens, the Revised Ed Rules are included in the Revised Edition Book, the Troops Packs are for 2nd ed and include the rules for the new Tokens that come in the pack.

the Expansion Characters and Troop Packs add more options to you game allowing you to vary your force structure so you can try different tactics

Novgorod is a Map Expansion, it adds a new Map and a new Faction, the Revised rules for everything in Novgrod appear in the Revised Rules.

upcoming is Daedalus, Two new Maps, Campaign Rules, Campain Tokens, Bonus Tokens, a Campaign and a few odds and ends. Also coming are new Hero "Single" Figure packs (al in revised ed rules) the first being Hoax.

If your undicided about the game buy the PDF of the revised rules (or DL the free preview that is still available on the Suport page) and have a read before you buy the Boxed sets  and start buying Expansion Characters and Troop Packs.

Also i think you can play a lot of variable games with base game + Novgorod (3 maps, 3 teams, bunch of scenarios). Single miniature packs doeesn't add that much (but still they are cool enough). My favourite characters are from the base set anyway.

Welcome to the world of Tannhauser! I just got the game a few days ago, and I've already spent as much time playing is as any other board game I've ever owned. It's a great game.