Sign in to follow this  
JudgeGrimm

Having trouble finding a game

Ever since I picked up my very first Warhammer 40,000 RPG Rulebook; Rogue Trader, I have been attempting to find a group whom plays any of the three games in my area. After that failed I attempted to locate anyone on my ship. Failing at that, I have decided to try going around to see if anyone in the Norfolk, VA area was playing and would be willing to let me join. I have never played for real, but I am fairly used to the mechanics and am a 40k addict, so I know my way around the universe pretty well.

Anyone up for it?

No everyone digs play by post but there are quite a few Dark Heresy, Warhammer Fantasy and Rogue Trader games on rpol.net.  Deathwatch games are also starting to surface.

Look me up on the site-

Flakk=:)

And I can try and help you find a game if you want to try PBP.

I could never find anyone to play in my area for the longest time (Cincinnati), so I eventually just decided to start my own game, be the GM, and convince people to give it a try. Now I run a weekly Rogue Trader group of 4 or 5 guys and we're having a ball.

My secret weapon: Convince a fellow gamer or sci-fi fan to read the Eisenhorn trilogy of books. It works like a charm. Once they fall for the setting, they'll want to give the game a shot.

I used to be stationed at Norfolk, and I had to go all the way to the Newport News side of the world to find a game.  It was Warhammer 40K TT as there were no RPGs then, but I did find a pretty good store.  It was on Warwick Blvd I believe, Sherwood shopping center or something.  Course it might not even be there any more.  That's where I started to play RPGs actually.

Oh yeah, same problem in Bangor, Maine.

Deadline247 said:

I could never find anyone to play in my area for the longest time (Cincinnati), so I eventually just decided to start my own game, be the GM, and convince people to give it a try. Now I run a weekly Rogue Trader group of 4 or 5 guys and we're having a ball.

My secret weapon: Convince a fellow gamer or sci-fi fan to read the Eisenhorn trilogy of books. It works like a charm. Once they fall for the setting, they'll want to give the game a shot.

I did this years ago when stationed in Germany, when I was in the army. That was 1981 & 82, the game then was D&D, but this fits for any game system. I did the same as above, but handing out my copy of The Hobbit.

I went through my whole barracks and found 1 guy who was interested. Went through 3-4 other companies in the area, gained 2 people who would try it (in both cases found bored people in the day room). One had played D&D previously, and the other had never played it. I went to the local youth center, and found a number of kids interested. While some of the younger kids drifted away after the first session or two, 2 stayed. So when all was said and done, 2 months after starting the thing I had 5 or 6 regulars, and we were allowed to run the thing every Saturday (barring military duties) at the youth center. Once in a while, we'd do other games for a break like Risk.

After running for about 20 months (my tour was 2 years), with occasional guest GMs, I had to rotate out. But by then, there were 3 rp groups running every Saturday with a mix of GIs and dependent youths.

More recently, I tried to find an active group of players for DH, nearer to my home, than the one I have to travel to every other week, about 20 miles away. I started with one regular player, then two at my local game store, and by being there every week, rain or shine 5pm to 10pm, every Sunday night. After 3 months, my regular group had 5 last week, and 9 the week before (every other week 2 players can't make it, and 2 had to miss last week because one got VERY sick).

My answer to you is if you haven't found anyone, then you really haven't tried.

You're not going to have a group find YOU. You have to go out and recruit THEM.

Don't know about your town, but here in Portland, OR, there are a number of web sites that match games and gamers.

Like this: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pdx-gamers/  

When I moved down here from the Seattle area, I Googled for Portland RPG Gamers Role Playing.... and so on. I ran into a few sites that were dead before I found ones anyone used any more.

Deadline247 said:

Well, I had my players read some 40k fiction as an introduction to the setting and some of them didn't like Eisenhorn (surprisingly, Sandy Mitchell's books about the I and James Swallow's Faith & Fire went down far more easily). A player described the main character as a "bland, unlikable jerk" and the whole book as a "series of predictible fight scenes badly strung together" and I had a hard time selling her the setting for a rpg campaign. So, better enquire first about the litterary tastes of your prospective players before handing them the books.

Kyorou said:

Deadline247 said:

Well, I had my players read some 40k fiction as an introduction to the setting and some of them didn't like Eisenhorn (surprisingly, Sandy Mitchell's books about the I and James Swallow's Faith & Fire went down far more easily). A player described the main character as a "bland, unlikable jerk" and the whole book as a "series of predictible fight scenes badly strung together" and I had a hard time selling her the setting for a rpg campaign. So, better enquire first about the litterary tastes of your prospective players before handing them the books.

I handed my players the background pamphlet from the TT boxed set, For the Emperor by Sandy Mitchell, Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett and Relentless.

Try RP Tools, home of map tools. Not only does it come with a convenient forum where a lot of these smaller RPGs can quickly gather 5-6 replies, but it is also home to a pretty decent set of online RPG tools for maps, dice, etc..

Free, i might add.

www.rptools.net