Sign in to follow this  
guest461286

A quick question.

Drop Bear said:

No, different colours, different paths, unless the weapon has a spechial Rule like Strife or Doom

I think otherwise. Page 21,

1. Declare target and weapon

The attacker must then choose a target character. A legal target must either share a path with the attacker or be on an Adjacent circle unless... ...To choose an adhacent targer, there is no equipment requirement.

rules are quite clear on this matter

Drop Bear said:

No, different colours, different paths, unless the weapon has a spechial Rule like Strife or Doom

Normally paths are used to determine line of sight, so if they don't match that wold indicate there's something blocking any line of attack between the two spaces, however, IIRC (at least as far as the original maps go) the only time two spaces are both directly adjacent AND not the same colour is when there's a door between them.

Whether or not you could attack through a door was somewhat unclear in the old rules, but the new rules appear to have clarified it as Falco points out.  You can't shoot further down the other path, but you can hit someone on the other side of a door.  Presumably you open it, break it down, or fight through the crack or something.  More Blood!

Arent the HtH weapons only weapon types that allow attacking through the doors?

And infact isnt that the only perk of hand to hand weapons like knifes?

And yes as steve-O said, the entire premise of the Pathfinding system is that if something is outside of your color coded path- there is an obsticle blocking line of sight and movement to it- no matter if the circles seem adjacent. 

I recently asked Adam Sadler at FFG the following question regarding line of sight and doors/being adjacent (i.e. being adjacent to another character when a door stands between the characters):

Question: Line of sight. Can two characters see each other through a door if they are on opposite sides of the door?

Answer: These characters can attack each other with melee attacks but they are not on the same path so they cannot target each other with ranged attacks.

So based on Adam's answer, only melee attacks are allowed through doors (aka adjacent). This answer supports what Fizzletop and Steve-O said in their posts.

vaanguard1 said:

I recently asked Adam Sadler at FFG the following question regarding line of sight and doors/being adjacent (i.e. being adjacent to another character when a door stands between the characters):

Question: Line of sight. Can two characters see each other through a door if they are on opposite sides of the door?

Answer: These characters can attack each other with melee attacks but they are not on the same path so they cannot target each other with ranged attacks.

So based on Adam's answer, only melee attacks are allowed through doors (aka adjacent). This answer supports what Fizzletop and Steve-O said in their posts.

there could be finally some official errata, because this is quite important, but personally I'm still sticking to the rule that every weapon unless stated othervise, can attack adjanced circle

Prof_werewolf said:

I just do not understand the rationale behind being able to stab through a door but not being able to shoot through one.

Well obviously the door needs to be opened for anything to go through it.  No one is claiming that knives and fists magically pass through a  wooden door while bullets are stopped dead (in reality the opposite is more true.)  But if you and your opponent are on opposite sides of the door, that's going to leave you in very close quarters once its open far enough to allow an attack.  Using a melee weapon in such circumstances is easy - that's the range they were designed for after all, but using a gun - especially a large gun like a rifle - at that range is difficult.  The opponent can reach out and grab the barrel when you raise the weapon to fire.

Pistols are something of a middle ground.  Realistically they could probably be used easily enough at that range, but I'm not sure if the revised rules allow for their use in this case (the original rules certainly didn't, but the original rules were annoyingly silent on anything concerning doors.)  If there's no allowance in the actual rules, it would be simple enough to make a house rule saying pistols work like melee weapons in this case.

The ideal solution would have been to include rules for opening and closing doors, of course.  Then you can simply declare no attacks through closed doors, all attacks through open ones.  The problem with that idea is how to make it work with the Pathfinder system.  You'd need to develop some sort of "conditional path" system to mark which spaces are visible through the door while its open (and heaven forbid there ever be two doors directly across the hall or room from one another.)  The original developers at TOY obviously chose to ignore that problem in favour of simpler gameplay, and FFG had one hand tied behind their back with the revised rules because they were trying to keep it compatible with the existing game components.  You can rail at the unfairness of the universe for allowing this to come to pass if you like, or you can acknowledge that no game system is a perfect model of reality and move on.