Sign in to follow this  
Deadline247

A stupid question about calculating damage from mutiple hits

When calculating damage from multiple hits (such as semi-auto or full-auto fire), do you add the +X portion of the damage for each individual hit, or just at the end of all the rolls? For example...if a PC scored 3 hits with an Autogun, is the damage 3d10+3 or 3d10+9 (3x3)?

My group has been playing it as 3d10+9 (3x3), however I was listening to an actual play podcast today where they were playing it as 3d10+3, which made me second-guess what we're doing.

Deadline247 said:

When calculating damage from multiple hits (such as semi-auto or full-auto fire), do you add the +X portion of the damage for each individual hit, or just at the end of all the rolls? For example...if a PC scored 3 hits with an Autogun, is the damage 3d10+3 or 3d10+9 (3x3)?

My group has been playing it as 3d10+9 (3x3), however I was listening to an actual play podcast today where they were playing it as 3d10+3, which made me second-guess what we're doing.

You have 3 hits of 1d10+3, each reduced for armour and toughness separately. So if the target has 4AP and 4TB, you are looking at 3 hits of 1d10-5 each.

I assume this works the same way for ship combat...if macrobatteries make 4 hits of 1d10+2 each, you resolve each hit against the ships armor (for instance, 12) rather than totaling all the damage together and then subtracting the armor once from that total.

On a side note, can someone explain how combining multiple macrobatteries into a salvo works? And what is the downside of doing this? Why wouldn't someone always combine them into a salvo?

Sorry for the remedial questions...but I just want to make sure that I'm running things right for my gaming group.

Thanks!

For the most part, PCs with high BS have no reason NOT to combine salvos, unless they're aiming at more than one vessel or are worried about not hitting with the first shot. A combined salvo adds all the hits together into one damage roll.

Errant said:

For the most part, PCs with high BS have no reason NOT to combine salvos, unless they're aiming at more than one vessel or are worried about not hitting with the first shot. A combined salvo adds all the hits together into one damage roll.

Or they're trying to strip multiple shields off an evasive opponent. That -30 can be a killer! But generally, yeah.

Deadline247 said:

I assume this works the same way for ship combat...if macrobatteries make 4 hits of 1d10+2 each, you resolve each hit against the ships armor (for instance, 12) rather than totaling all the damage together and then subtracting the armor once from that total.

No, actually - Macrobatteries work differently to rapid fire done on a personal scale - you do add the damage together and subtract armour once in this case (compare starship armour values to macrobattery damage values; they wouldn't do anything if they resolved damage individually).

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Deadline247 said:

No, actually - Macrobatteries work differently to rapid fire done on a personal scale - you do add the damage together and subtract armour once in this case (compare starship armour values to macrobattery damage values; they wouldn't do anything if they resolved damage individually).

Thus macrobatteries can rapidly take down shields, but have to deal with armor, lance weaponry has a hard time with shields, but bypasses armor.

So to summarize...

Person-to-Person Combat: Each successful hit with a ranged weapon is calculated against the opponents toughness and armor separately.

Ship Combat: Each successful successful hit from a SINGLE macrobattery is added together and calculated against the ships armor. If you shoot more than one macrobattery on the same turn, you calculate each macrobattery's set of shots against the armor separately (two macrobatteries means applying two separate sets of shots), UNLESS they are combined into a single salvo, where the damage from all macrobatteries fired that turn are added together into a single damage total that calculated against the ships armor all at one time.

Is that correct?