Sign in to follow this  
Mjoellnir

Being kicked out of the Inquisition?

Hello, page 324 of the Rogue Trader rulebook mentions that  some rogue traders are former inquisitors (or acolytes) who got their warrant of trade because their colleagues wanted to get rid of them. Now I'm wondering what would happen in such a case. Would an Inquisitor who is kicked out in that way continue to level in the Inquisitor career or switch to the Rogue Trader career?

Former inquisitors (??) or acolytes given a warrant of trade because their collagues wanted to get rid of them?

Oh, God Emperor, I was suspecting that that book was a form of heresy, but now I know it for sure! gran_risa.gif

I'm pretty sure that's a VERY rare occurrence. Why take an enemy and give them a ship with unlimited resources at their disposal?

Most times, anyone that the Inquisition is unhappy with will end up as a servitor, get mind-wiped, or end up dead. Encarceration is a possibility as well, but that would be a drain on imperial resources. I'm pretty sure one of my first three options would be most likely to occur.

csabesz said:

Former inquisitors (??) or acolytes given a warrant of trade because their collagues wanted to get rid of them?

Oh, God Emperor, I was suspecting that that book was a form of heresy, but now I know it for sure! gran_risa.gif

Tsk. “He who is not a Puritan in his youth has no heart; he who is still a Puritan in his maturity has no brain.”lengua.gif

LeBlanc13 said:

I'm pretty sure that's a VERY rare occurrence. Why take an enemy and give them a ship with unlimited resources at their disposal?

Most times, anyone that the Inquisition is unhappy with will end up as a servitor, get mind-wiped, or end up dead. Encarceration is a possibility as well, but that would be a drain on imperial resources. I'm pretty sure one of my first three options would be most likely to occur.

Well, Rogue Traders don't have unlimited resources by default, in fact they lose the ability to requisition imperial assets at will and don't have the right to command an Exterminatus anymore. Even though it is stated as being rare it seems to be a way to get rid of people who are too powerful or well-connected for your solutions.

The description in the RT bookhandles the matter well. Essentially if there's an annoying yet totally untargetable Inquisitor (or other high ranking subject) that his peers want to remove from their hair, they will petition for a new Warrant of Trade to be created because the guy is so awesome (not at all because they want him away from them!).

If this is successful and their target is 'promoted' to a Rogue Trader then it's highly likely guy/gal will be sent to a distant reach of the galaxy. Yes the RT can become quite powerful, possibly even able to weild greater influence than the individual Inquisitors who petitioned for his change of status, but there's not a lot that he/she may do with all this wealth when they're stuck in the arse end of the universe trying to establish a new imperial world.

One of the best things though is the Calixis system is too well established to need or want another RT house. It's almost guaranteed that the Inquisitor would be removed so far from the petitioners that he would effectively be dead to them.

Something like this would be vanishingly rare though in my opinion. As such I would use it so sparingly as to be nigh impossible. Then also don't forget that the petition would have to go through all the correct channels and (if I remember correctly) has to be approved by the High Lords of Terra? That would take at a minimum, decades. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have the turn-around time to edge close to a century during which time the players' Inquisitors are still rubbing shoulders with the target of their ire.

As to your initial question, given the aboe explanation I wouldn't do it. If you're too far gone down that path however, then I'd immediately stop any advancement in the DH ranks and transfer them to RT if possible. It's very likely that the characters would lose some abilities particularly if they've Ascended (having characters from Ascension would be exceedingly complex in itself). You would need to spend some time getting it right - obviously a Psyker wouldn't just suddenly turn into an Astropath for example so you'd possibly need to retain the DH career path but modify the available advancements.

Promoting has always been a good way of getting rid of undesirables. Those troublesome persons that are to well connected to remove politically and to guarded to be easily assassinated. The founding of a RT Dynasty is such an honor that most Inquisitors cannot fight it.  The end result will be that one troublesome competitor or medler is safely gone in some Emperor forsaken area and you can go back to business as usual.

Everybody wins,sort of. Very neat and tidy. Remember that most quarrel within the Inquisition is about politics, most promoted away will not be heretical. Those you can deal with in other ways.

It's also a way to get rid of people who may be troublesome, but whom you don't want dead in case they're skills or connections are needed at some future point.

PullsyJr said:

As to your initial question, given the aboe explanation I wouldn't do it. If you're too far gone down that path however, then I'd immediately stop any advancement in the DH ranks and transfer them to RT if possible. It's very likely that the characters would lose some abilities particularly if they've Ascended (having characters from Ascension would be exceedingly complex in itself). You would need to spend some time getting it right - obviously a Psyker wouldn't just suddenly turn into an Astropath for example so you'd possibly need to retain the DH career path but modify the available advancements.

Thanks. At the moment it's just an idea, because I think that it would be the perfect starting point for a crossover campaign with all three systems. Don't forget that the characters are unique in their world. Yes, it's rare, but they are the ones and they simply won't run into anybody else who became a Rogue Trader the same way. That's the same reason Ascension characters would be necessary. You can't combine Dark Heresy and Deathwatch without Ascension.

The rules aspect is what I think is a bit problematic. Some careers don't make sense anymore like a "promoted" inquisitor continuing his career even though he will need to develop a different skill set to become a good rogue trader. On the other hand a storm trooper and hierophant could make a good arch-militant and missionary without changing careers. Primaris psyker to astropath can create problems again etc....

Hmm at first I thought it was how an Acolyte could be kicked out of the Inquisition (in which case the answer would be; Through an airlock!), but Inquisitors plotting against one another is another matter entirely.

And of course any book detailing how Inquisitors don't all play nicely together "for the emperah!" are of course heretical (Forbidden Lore: Inquisition).

Becoming a Rogue Trader is a great honor, but yes the Inquisitor would lose a lot of his power base and could actually be limited in his charter to somewhere AWAY from his enemies, so it's not as stupid as it may seem to be. The trick is to convince an Inquisitor Lord to "recommend" this course of action or even to persuade said Inquisitor to accept the charge. 

Are you sure about the wording? I may need to go back to the book, but it was my understanding that the new Rogue Trader was still officially an Inquisitor. After all, Kobas Aquiarre had just such an arrangement.

It's always been my understanding that the Rosette can never be taken away. Sure, you can have your influence curtailed if  you're sent off into unexplored space and the like, but you still have it. The only way out of the Inquisition is in a body bag. To that point, Inquisitors can be and are executed by their peers for different acts of heresy.

I think numbr3rc is right you can only leave the Inquisition in two ways, commit heresy and be hunted for the rest of your life or be shot in the back of the head (or sometimes both options).  That being said I think medelsom Inquisitors can be demoted to a sleeper cell that may not ever be used again.  The heretical knowledge that one Inquisitor sees or aquires in 50 years could probably be sold for a small fortune to the right kind of people.  Now imagine if said inquisitor had been around for 100+ years; that kind of knowledge must be controlled at least on some level, I mean an Inquisitor of the ordo malleus (demon hunter) would know enough to bring about a demonic armagedon if said demon hunter wanted to.

I'd say that if an Inquisitor ever left active status for whatever reason they would monitored constantly.  If your Inquisitor is on his/her way to becoming a rogue trader I would add that somewhere on the ships crew is a small kill team whose purpose is to observe and if need be dispatch your ex Inquisitor.

numb3rc said:

Are you sure about the wording? I may need to go back to the book, but it was my understanding that the new Rogue Trader was still officially an Inquisitor. After all, Kobas Aquiarre had just such an arrangement.

It's always been my understanding that the Rosette can never be taken away. Sure, you can have your influence curtailed if  you're sent off into unexplored space and the like, but you still have it. The only way out of the Inquisition is in a body bag. To that point, Inquisitors can be and are executed by their peers for different acts of heresy.

"Although no longer able to call on the nigh-limitless resources of the Inquisition, the Rogue Trader will still wield considerable powers and influence." (RT p. 324) If you combine the power of an Inquisitor with that of a Rogue Trader you could almost call that "Emperor".gran_risa.gif

Zelsior said:

I think numbr3rc is right you can only leave the Inquisition in two ways, commit heresy and be hunted for the rest of your life or be shot in the back of the head (or sometimes both options). That being said I think medelsom Inquisitors can be demoted to a sleeper cell that may not ever be used again. The heretical knowledge that one Inquisitor sees or aquires in 50 years could probably be sold for a small fortune to the right kind of people. Now imagine if said inquisitor had been around for 100+ years; that kind of knowledge must be controlled at least on some level, I mean an Inquisitor of the ordo malleus (demon hunter) would know enough to bring about a demonic armagedon if said demon hunter wanted to.

According to Rogue Trader it's mostly Ordo Xenos members who get that "honour" and they are expected to continue their mission outside of the Imperium, after all Inquisitors are supposed to actually believe in their holy purpose. And how would you want to get an Inquisitor into a sleeper cell? He doesn't have to follow orders and he can requisition anything from a gun-cutter to a battlecruiser to get away from wherever they dumped him.

Zelsior said:

I'd say that if an Inquisitor ever left active status for whatever reason they would monitored constantly. If your Inquisitor is on his/her way to becoming a rogue trader I would add that somewhere on the ships crew is a small kill team whose purpose is to observe and if need be dispatch your ex Inquisitor.

Great idea.

Mjoellnir said:

If you combine the power of an Inquisitor with that of a Rogue Trader you could almost call that "Emperor".gran_risa.gif

Well....yes and no.

While they have the theoretical power to do what the hell they want outside the Imperium (just like other Rogue Traders) and the theoretical power to do what the hell they want inside the Imperium (just like other Inquisitors) these powers are going to be fettered by the activities of...other Rogue Traders and Inquisitors.

Another thing mentioned in the Rogue Trader book is that many Warrants of Trade are issued with strict conditions, often related to conquering certain regions, destroying certain foes etc. Such conditions might make the transition from Inquisitor to Rogue Trader less "sideways promotion" than "complete death sentence."

One can imagine also that Kobas Aquairre's warrant was probably issued under circumstances where if he turned it down he probably would have been executed or assasinated by political rivals and enemies in the Calixis Sector. Accepting a Warrant of Trade in these circumstances might be (for a powerful Inquisitor) a humiliating admission that your powerbase has completely crumbled away and that your political enemies have outmanoeuvred you.

Such arrangements are extremely rare, anyway. Kobas Aquairre's the only Rogue Trader of the type in the region, as has been mentioned already. And he's (probably) been dead for centuries.

But I totally agree that this is the ideal crossover concept for a DH to RT campaign.