Sign in to follow this  
Tibs

A call for questions for the FAQ

flamethrower49 said:

If she is on the location where a gate opens, it doesn't.  End of story.  You don't have to draw a new mythos card.  You lucked into a reprieve.  (Unless the Deep Ones are Rising, of course.)  I don't see how this would be different on the first turn - she starts on an unstable location just for this purpose.

I agree. What possible purpose does Kate have if you arbitrarily start nerfing her ability? It is the whole point of her existence.

Sorry for the interruption. Carry on.

Hi!

I’m new on this forum but not in the game. I have a couple of questions, mostly from CotDP:

-Is this any official answer about how does the Escape from Arkham Asylum mythos card from CotDP work?

-Marking of Isis from CotDP: it requires one hand, typo or not?

-Dark Druid from BGotW: how does it work?

-If you play with The Black Goat of the Woods with 5+ players, each opening gate produces 3 monsters:
 1. 2 non-hexagon and 1 hexagon.
 2. hexagon and 1 non hexagon. (This was mentioned in arkham horror wiki, however I don’t know if it’s official. For me the first option is more logical.)

-Base game encounter in the Library:
„You doze off and enter the Dreamlands. Have an encounter there, then immediately return here.”
What if a nightgaunt attacks you and you fail the combat check!
1a, If there is no open gate to the Dreamlands, you will lost in time and space.
1b, If there is an open gate to the Dreamlands, you will go through that gate and get an explored marker.
2, whatever happens, you go back to the Library.

-CotDP encounter in the Curiosite Shop:
„If you look hard, you can find some real bargains here! Draw a number of cards from the Common Item deck equal to your focus (maximum 3). You may purchase any of drawn items for 1$ less than the list price, and must discard the rest.”
You can buy only one item or all of them, if you choose?

-CotDP encounter in the Science building: „Wandering the labs at night, you are suprised by a strange, winged, crab-like creature. It attacks. Make a speed (-2) check and encounter a Mi-Go from the monstre cup…”
This suprise differs from the others, because it is not printed in italics. So the mi-go suprises you or just simply appears?

-CotDP red other world encounter in Platue of Leng: „From these alien heights, everything seems so clear…gain 1 Clue token, then pass a Will(+1) to snap out of reverie and descend to a safe elevation. If you fail, lose one stamina and continue making the check until you pass or are unconscious…” What happens if your investigator is Michael McGlenn and you have no chance to make this check?

-Mark Harrigan CAN go through Other Worlds without an encounter. In Mythos phase a gate opens where he stands, because „One man army” he can’t be delayed so he can cast a Finding Gate in his next moving phase. Is this legal? (but with his max 3 Lore, there is no much chance to do this).

Thanks!

I haven't seen this one FAQ-ified: Elder Sign Pendant vs Strange Sightings?

"Prevent a monster surge put still put 1-2 monsters on the gate that is shown on the card causing the surge" seems incompatible with "No gates open, but a monster surge occurs".  We quickly ruled that no monsters are added, but I could also imagine drawing another mythos card for a gate location, or something similar.

zealot12 said:

Yea, in general,for  cases like the above, drawing a  mythos card with a gate location is the way to go.

Although you'd have to cycle through a lot of cards, potentially, to get an already-open gate.

Or is it the case that blocking a surge with the elder sign pendant randomly shunts a monster through any unstable location?  preocupado.gif

A nitpicky procedural question that I have never seen addressed:

When exactly do environments change?  When you draw a new environment card, do you discard the old environment immediately, or do you wait until the special text of the mythos card takes effect in step four of the mythos phase(after gates/monsters, clues, and monster movement)?  Usually this question won't matter, but here is a simple illustration of a case where it does.

The Innsmouth mythos card Relentless Doom adds a doom token on every monster surge.  Say you have that, and the next mythos phase you draw a card that has a monster surge, but also changes the environment.  Would you 1) discard the old environment immediately, before resolving anything on the card?  Or would you 2) do the surge, add the doom, add the clue, move the monsters, and then replace the environment?  I have always done 2), as it seems logical to me. 

Yea, the second way is more logical since it also stays true to the correct order of resolving a mythos card. The monster surge occurs at the gate opening part of the mythos phase, while the special text of the new card is resolved last, which is when the replacement should occur.

It never came up before until last night. Playing with the Kingsport expansion, we drew the Worlds Drifting Apart mythos with the mystic environment that reads, "While this card is in play, no rift tokens may be placed on the rift track." Two turns later, while the environment was still in effect, we drew Unusual Phenomenon Sighted in Arkham saying, "The first player must choose one inactive rift (if any). That rift's track immediately fills up and the rift opens."

Well if no rift tokens go on the track, then I can't really fill it up. But maybe Headlines trump environments. One has to give. Either Headlines trump Environment or vice versa. We played it that the Environment wins out. Has this ever been answered?

I would my question if I know how, because I'm 95% sure that Environments trump everything. I've played a hundred times with that environment "Peace returns to Arkham: Terror level can't be raised." If a family is found butchered next turn and the Headline says to raise the terror level, I've never even thought of raising it.

One of the first questions I submitted to the FAQ was whether environments trump all other effects.  I was thinking specifically of whether the Planetary Alignment environment (all spells have a Sanity cost of zero) trumps the Miriam Beecher blight (the sanity cost of all spells increases by one).  I hope the answer is yes, since IMO it would keep things simple and consistent.

jhaelen said:

Looking at this thread I get a feeling we'll never see the mythical new FAQ. New questions pop up faster than the old ones can be answered.

That's optimistic, but unfortunately, someday the FAQ will no doubt be finished (and by finished I mean unfinished but released anyway).

zealot12 said:

Thanks. The terror level reaching 10 rarely happens in our games, so I wasn't clear on that. I thought  a doom token is only added once-at 10.

This was the 1st edition rule: one doom token is added, the monster limit is removed and you're done.

The 2nd edition rule is that a doom token is not immediately added, but you add one every time the terror level should increase again for whatever reason. In addition to the removal of the monster limit, if there are twice as monsters in play as the original limit, the AO awakens.

I think the FAQ covers the Terror Level 10 confusion and the definition of monsters "in play" for the purposes of awaking the AO, so that's two fewer things we have to worry about.

I'm quite certain it's already in there (unless it has been answered sometime in the last few months, I haven't been here for some time), but just in case:

The ages-old question of whether you're allowed to cast Find Gate (and other Movement Phase spells) if you're delayed needs to be answered.

I always thought it's not allowed.You can't cast movement spells, spend movement points or move in general when you're delayed. It is as though you've skipped the movement phase entirely

zealot12 said:

I always thought it's not allowed.You can't cast movement spells, spend movement points or move in general when you're delayed. It is as though you've skipped the movement phase entirely

And yet you're fighting monsters, which is also part of the movement phase. The rulebook also only says you don't receive movement points and don't move during the movement phase, not that you don't have one at all. But this has been discussed to death in the past, and this is not the thread to disuss these things.

Another thing that just came up:

If an encounter sends me to the street and there's a gate on that street, will I be drawn through immediately or not?

I had put this in another post before I noticed this thread, so here's my question.  It concerns 3 gate cards:

When I last played I was unfortunate enough to draw the gate card that told me to immediately fight Ithaqua.  Pretty awesome turn of events.  Pretty cool.  Pretty confusing.

How should we have treated that combat?  The gate does not specifically say that the Ancient One has awakened, so if any investigator had cards like the Healing Stone or Flesh Ward or any of the many cards that tell you to discard them if the Ancient One awakens, would they have kept them?  Perhaps only I would have discarded them and noone else?  Could I have chosen to play with Epic Battle cards?  Do I stop collecting money from retainers and bank loans (which doesn't make sense to collect in an Other World anyway)?  I assume the Environment and Rumor cards are not discarded?  

Can other investigators interfere with this battle?  Could Leo Anderson have prevented an investigator's losses as he fights the Ancient One? 

Additionally, there are many cards that make no sense to function in an Other World, such as retainer and bank loan.  I wouldnt mind if they were errata'd to say that they do not, but it would probably be too hard to remember unless the cards were reprinted to say so.

This isn't a question but it's a request --  can you guys have a Fantasy Flight intern or someone go through the Arkham Horror Wiki and update the hell out of it?  Since its searchable, it's a much faster and easier way to access the info I need than searching through a pdf.  Of course if you want to incorporate a similar searchable device on the Fantasy Flight website, I'd be equally appreciative. 

Hey, another request whatever your next release is, can you include little Aquatic stickers to place on the main board for River Docks and Unvisited Isle?  Would love to change that permanently instead of always searching for those two tokens.