Sign in to follow this  
Iku Rex

Hymn-caster playlist

Into the Storm has a starship component called Broadband Hymn-casters, "flooding all frequencies with deafening hymns to the God-Emperor".  

This thread is for "hymn" suggestions. happy.gif

It doesn't have to be real world hymns, just music that seems "hymny", and appropriate for blasting at the enemy. Latin or pseudo-latin ("high gothic") is always good. Some of my suggestions may be a bit inspirational - you don't want the enemy singing happily along - but I can live with that.

. Especially great for orbital bombardments. 

* Battle Hymn of the Republic (

)

(
version)

* Dies Irae/Day of Wrath (

)

* Carmina Burana

Sour Grapes by Puscifer sounds good, but the lyrics may be too obviously heretical at times. More suitable for a Tzeentch-worshipping ship.

Anything by Corvus Corax (my computer wouldn't allow me to link for some reason but you can find several songs on youtube.) Espescially the Cantus Buranus I and II albums. They mostly have grand orchestral pieces with latin lyrics sung by a choir.

Red army hymns are also suitable and can be found on youtube as well.

The gothic band Dark sanctuary is a bit more gloomy and somber, but still good.

Krzysztof Penderecki has some good choral works as do Philip Glass.

The mystery of Bulgarian voices, espescially the soundtrack to the game Alone in the dark is quite good.

Something like this Mort?

I imagine something like the March of Cambreadth would work well as well.

Maybe Brahms

, athough that is purely an instrumental piece.

Of course if instrumental pieces are allowed: Basil Poledouris'

is a must, as is his
(latter part of the video).

Hell, throw in the

for good measure...

Yup, exactly like that Alasseo ;).

For some reason I can't copy or paste in my posts or use spell-checking either.

As for other bands, E-nomine may fit as long as you don't mind the techno aspects, and on the metal front Within temptation, Epica, After forever, Tristania and Sirenia has a few hymn-like strofes in some of their songs.

Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg (pretty much the whole album)

Anonymous 4 - 11,000 Virgins - Chants for the Feast of St Ursula (for less combat oriented sequences.  also good BG music in general for 40k)

Gothic Voices - A Feather On The Breath Of God (as above.  also, hard to find)

Medieval Babes - Salva Nos

Miranda Sex Garden - Andera Sempre

Midnight Syndicate - Eclipse

E Nomine - Vater Unser, Der Ring Der Nibelungen

Michael Posch - Cuncti Simus Concanentes

Estampie - Disse Me

Rozenstolz - Amo Vitam

Adeimus - Amate Adea

Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Mutation (from the Akira soundtrack)

Gregorian - Nothing Else Matters, Unforgiven ( Metallica sung by a gregorian choir.  I **** you not)

Hans Zimmer - Another Brick in Hadrian's Wall (King Arthur Soundtrack)

Apocalyptica - Unforgiven (somewhat mellow played by four cellos)

Vangelis - Conquest of Paradise

Poledouris - Battle of the Mounds (from Conan the Barbarian)

Highland - Bella Stella (Non-Rap Radio Mix)

Kenji Kawai - M01 I - Making of Cyborg (Theme to Ghost in the Shell)

Aude/Delerium - Terra Firma (Lara's Mix)

Saint-saen - Dance Macabre

It's a quirk of the forum code. Let me guess- you have a pop-up blocker?

Copy/paste functions one the FFG boards apparently HAVE to be handled using a pop-up window. Likewise, the board doesn't seem to recognise HTML or BBCode tags.

There should be a hyperlink button at the top of the post field though (5th from the right), which bring up another pop-up. Dump the URL in there to get your links working.

Also- John Bergin did a soundtrack album for Traitor General. Maybe

or
from that? Definitely worth
 for bagpipe-y awesome. Actually, you know what? Just grab the album from his site, under the "music archive" tab. Best 140MB of 40k music I ever downloaded (also- free, which is always good).

Alasseo said:

or
 for bagpipe-y awesome. Actually, you know what? Just grab the album from his site, under the "music archive" tab. Best 140MB of 40k music I ever downloaded (also- free, which is always good).

THANK YOU!  I've been looking for that music to buy or download ever since getting the sample track of the Black Library website years ago.

Alasseo said:

Copy/paste functions one the FFG boards apparently HAVE to be handled using a pop-up window. Likewise, the board doesn't seem to recognise HTML or BBCode tags.

There should be a hyperlink button at the top of the post field though (5th from the right), which bring up another pop-up. Dump the URL in there to get your links working.

or

I disabled the pop-up blocker, but I still can't use a spell-checker. The hyperlink seems to work now though.

Thanks for the John Bergin links, I'd heard that music before but couldn't remember where now I know ;).

mortagon said:

Alasseo said:

or

I disabled the pop-up blocker, but I still can't use a spell-checker. The hyperlink seems to work now though.

Thanks for the John Bergin links, I'd heard that music before but couldn't remember where now I know ;).

The workaround to not being able to paste is to click the paste button.

I also have problems with Firefox's spell checker. After I type a word the red underline usually stays for a few seconds, then vanishes. After that happens, right clicking the word twice usually works to bring up the suggested spellings. If that doesn't work, a letter and put it back, then the red underline is visible again.

This forum has a lot of problems, meaning that it is the worst forum software I have ever seen. I suspect that I'd have to look at forum software that is still in the testing phase to see worse.

Alasseo said:

or

Wow,

Thanks for the tip.

I'm not usually a fan of (mostly) instermental music or albums, but wow, just... wow.

And the tracks Nine Wounds and Sabbat are especially haunting.

I wonder if the lyrics are avalible......

* softly whistles Nine Wounds as he heads to the Bing scriptorium *

I can imagine little that would be as effective or as motivating as a GM playing Flight of the Valkyrie as he rides the Gun Cutter to battle. A nice one for the cinematic close-combat is

, likely remembered from 300.

A big second to anything done in the Soviet Union.

im the void-master of my group and im the pilot of the ship (tyrant cruiser with lolfast engines (GM archeotech thing), armored prow AND power ram (dont ask, our gm let us do near anything if we make it feasibly within the lore and have the skills) so i always go straight to ram them for the lulz while our hymn caster play things like Age of the red moon,

, Emerald sword, etc

The first time was a lulz when we rammed an ork kroozer with 25 + 4D10 and nearly split it in half