Sign in to follow this  
Tiziano2

Senator Rhodes Art

So what italian politiician inspired this art?

C'mon, you can tell us. We know you italians 'love' your politics as much as us americans do.

Is he famous for kicking puppies or screaming at  babies? Did he steal money from his mom in order to get enough money to bribe the senate to get elected?

Do tell! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Actually, my mother-in-law told me today that he reminds her of Mussolini (a part of it is the 'period' feel and a part the attitude, I guess), IMO he looks a bit  like my former kungfu teacher who is in local politics in the party of Senator Bossi.

Rosh87 said:

How did you (Hellfury) know Tiziano is Italian ?   Is that common knowledge around the forum, or something ?   - also, great art on the card, I have to say.

If you go to his art page (follow the "signed prints..." link), and click on profile you will see he indicates his home town is in Italy.

Tiziano said:

Actually, my mother-in-law told me today that he reminds her of Mussolini (a part of it is the 'period' feel and a part the attitude, I guess), IMO he looks a bit  like my former kungfu teacher who is in local politics in the party of Senator Bossi.

emotlaugh7ve.gif

Thanks Tiziano. I am sure many americans like myself would agree with your mother-in-law that he has a strong resemblance to Mussolini as well, but thats usually the extenet of our knowledge of Italian politics so the resemblance would be too obvious.

It seems you Italians like to elect famous entertainers too, to be public officials. Bossi seems an interesting sort.

Another great art picture from the Italian Master !!!

C'mon, it's just awesome! I love the conviction brought to this character, as he seems to claim his strong will to the people he's looking at.

Just a question : why did you chose to locate the handkerchief in the left part of the character's costume ??? Normally, it is suppose to be located in the right side, so I wonder if the original art was mirrored ???

I bet that has something to do more with art direction and composition than a mistake.

Gotta emphasize that silver twilight logo on the 'kerchief by centering it in the pic, I imagine.

@ Hellfury: yes, the basic facial shape is similar, although Mussolini was jowlier:

mussolini.jpg

But, IMO there is a strong affinity in the oratorial body-language, one that nowadays is found mostly in the populistic parties.

mussolini-image004.jpg

Don't get me started about politics...I'd rather paint. ;-)

@ Prodigee merci beaucoup! I'm really glad you like him this much. You are, of course right about the placement of the pocket. Hellfury nailed it, it was a compositional matter.

I needed to convey a strong body language, the lanctern was required, and the lodge symbol needed to be in evidence, the easiest way to solve the problem was to take a sartorial liberty and move the pocket. :)

I am sure when you are focused on summoning forth foul creatures from beyond our reality, and setting free their even more dreadful great masters, getting a suit specially tailored with pockets wherever you want them is not an issue !   cool.gif

Thank you for your answer Tiziano !!

I was wondering about this, as we already have a similar matter in the CCg version of the game, as an artist did change the global looking of one of his drawing to shapre the tiny picture boxe of the cards.

As computer now allow us to rotate/mirror a picture any time we want to .... This was the reason why I asked gui%C3%B1o.gif

Love the white knuckles.  He's really CLENCHING.  I also dig how the podium light adds an extra light source to his suit.  Piercing eyes, surrounded by rows of wrinkles...this is a face that frowns and glares.  A LOT.

LOVE the architecture!  Even more foreboding than he is.  One of those old cathedrals, one with enough "brimstone" for a dominating pulpit and a SHROUD for a stage curtain.  I can't tell if the pillars are topped with gargoyles or Mythos, or the ornate "leaves" are just playing tricks on my eyes.  (I swear the far right one looks like a Deep One watching the stage.)  Did you use a real location as a reference?  If so, do you know where it is?  (I bet halls like this are ALL OVER Italy.)

Did you make up the podium etchwork?  Eyes playing tricks again...the middle of the "mounds" to either side of the crown look like stylized Elder Things...

Fantastic work!

Sorry for the delay in answering, I can only say that I was kept really busy painting...

Thank you sop much for all the very appreciative comments, I'm humbled.

jgt7771 yes, that's based on a real building,  a neo-classical theatre...as for working on the decoration to make it more mythos-oriented, I can only say: I love to play  gui%C3%B1o.gif.

Going to post a couple of new cards, hope you'll like those too.