Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mpokorny

You know those "Cave-In"s that are like ... double "Cave-In"s.

Recommended Posts

 

Playing another DQ crawl yesterday and my adventurer wandered into a Cave-In Chamber.   Upon pulling the Dungeon Card, I pulled the Cave-In Event Card.

Naturally, on my next turn, I wanted to press forward and not backtrack.

So, in this situation to cross the Cave-In Chamber, do I have to pass two separate Agility Tests (one for the Chamber and the other for the Card) or just one?

 

The pertinent text from the Chamber description "...If you attempt to cross the cave-in, test Agility.  If you succeed, you cross the cave-in and continue your turn as normal.  If you fail, you become trapped and must stay in the chamber...."

The pertinent text from the Card "... At the start of each of your turns, test Agility to cross the cave-in.  If you succeed, ... continue your turn...  If you fail, your turn immediately ends."

 

It seems to me that two separate tests are required.   

Thoughts?

--mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

talismanamsilat said:

If you move onto a Cave-In tile and you draw a Cave-In card, you only need to test your agility once to continue moving forward next turn. This works in exactly the same manner as passing through 2 doors on adjacent tiles!!!

Elliott.

Not sure I agree with you here. There are two things that are happening. The tile and the card... If it was anything else on the card you would have to encounter that separately. Just because it is two similar events - does not therefore mean only one check would be required.

One is a tile - the other is a card - you must roll and encounter and pass both of them to move forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SoylentGreen said:

talismanamsilat said:

 

If you move onto a Cave-In tile and you draw a Cave-In card, you only need to test your agility once to continue moving forward next turn. This works in exactly the same manner as passing through 2 doors on adjacent tiles!!!

Elliott.

 

 

Not sure I agree with you here. There are two things that are happening. The tile and the card... If it was anything else on the card you would have to encounter that separately. Just because it is two similar events - does not therefore mean only one check would be required.

One is a tile - the other is a card - you must roll and encounter and pass both of them to move forward.

I think this is probably correct. Although, I suspect that once you pass the card related cave-in, it's done and out of the way even if you fail the tile cave-in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SinisterCheshire said:

SoylentGreen said:

 

talismanamsilat said:

 

If you move onto a Cave-In tile and you draw a Cave-In card, you only need to test your agility once to continue moving forward next turn. This works in exactly the same manner as passing through 2 doors on adjacent tiles!!!

Elliott.

 

 

Not sure I agree with you here. There are two things that are happening. The tile and the card... If it was anything else on the card you would have to encounter that separately. Just because it is two similar events - does not therefore mean only one check would be required.

One is a tile - the other is a card - you must roll and encounter and pass both of them to move forward.

 

 

I think this is probably correct. Although, I suspect that once you pass the card related cave-in, it's done and out of the way even if you fail the tile cave-in.

Yes - you would be right. If you pass the conditions on the card - yes - the card is discarded and conditions are met. And unfortunately you cannot discard a room. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mpokorny said:

 

Playing another DQ crawl yesterday and my adventurer wandered into a Cave-In Chamber.   Upon pulling the Dungeon Card, I pulled the Cave-In Event Card.

Naturally, on my next turn, I wanted to press forward and not backtrack.

So, in this situation to cross the Cave-In Chamber, do I have to pass two separate Agility Tests (one for the Chamber and the other for the Card) or just one?

 

The pertinent text from the Chamber description "...If you attempt to cross the cave-in, test Agility.  If you succeed, you cross the cave-in and continue your turn as normal.  If you fail, you become trapped and must stay in the chamber...."

The pertinent text from the Card "... At the start of each of your turns, test Agility to cross the cave-in.  If you succeed, ... continue your turn...  If you fail, your turn immediately ends."

 

It seems to me that two separate tests are required.   

Thoughts?

mike

 

I encountered this same scenario in one of my games.  At first, I was confused and had thought I only needed to resolve one of the cave-ins.  But then I remembered the "Start of Turn Effects" section of the manual (page 27), which is what the Cave-In Dungeon Card is, and realized I first needed to resolve it before continuing my turn, which would be to resolve the Cave-In tile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!

Real nasty situation there.  Really ugly.

Soylentgreen is right, I think.  After all, you could decide not to cross the room (and so, not be affected by the room effect), but the card would still be there affecting your hero. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...