Sign in to follow this  
H16HP01N7

A Question on Pronounciation

I've always wondered what is the accepted pronounciation of some of the words in the 40k universe, il note here how I pronounce them, but I am willing (and happy to be corrected)

Slaanesh - Slarn-esh

Tzeentch - Zeent-ch

C'Tan - K-Tan (or is it like Sir-Tan)

I also thought it would be nice for there to be a collected 'database' on the pronounciation of some of the more complex words

Cheers

C'Tan, yes, hard "C", not "S" sound.

Correct with Tzeentch. Or Zehnch (shoulder "e" sound like 'kept' rather than "eeeee" like 'cheese').

Slaanesh would be "Sl" (as in 'slime'), "a" (as in 'and'), "nesh" (rhymes with mesh).

BYE

Whilst C'Tan is technically a hard 'C' (/k/ in IPA), I much prefer it as a soft 'C' (/s/ in IPA)...

All the others are as H.B.M.C, but technically you can call Tzeentch whatever you want to, considering the fact he is the lord of change, he would go by almost any imaginable name... I like to mix it up whenever I have his name mentioned in game. I always make it similar to each other, but with slight differences (like slightly pronouncing the 't', or maybe changing one of the vowels etc).

As far as my group and the people I have played with over the years it has always been the following:

Tzeentch  = Zeen-Ch

Slaanesh = Sl - a (as if saying Ahhhh when at the doctor) - Nesh

Ctan has really never been used by my group however so I have always thought of it as a hard C -Tan but thats more from lack of use than actually using the word.

Of course with the nature of the chaos gods and evil entities it makes since for them to be pronounced differently.

Gvegas67 said:

Slaanesh = Sl - a (as if saying Ahhhh when at the doctor) - Nesh

I always thought it was pronounced Slarnesh (like u say), had a row when i was stil @ skool wiv 1 of my gamer m8s, coz he was certain it was sla-nesh lol, the joys of being 14 lol

I refuse to pronounce "R"s where none are extant in a word.  So for me it will always be:

"Slah-nesh" and "Kuh-tan" (though with the Kuh made so sharp as to sound as much like a hard C with no vowels as possible)