Sign in to follow this  
Space Monkey

Equipment cards the way to go?

Hi all!

I was just wondering, what with the high probability of using different equipment for each mission, if it would be better to put all of the requisitionable (sp!?) equipment onto individual equipment cards which could be handed out as needed and collected again when the mission ends?

Obviously this could require one hell of a lot of cards, especially due to the different craftsmanship versions and such, but I think it could work.

I was looking into doing it myself but all I really have is Microsoft publisher 2000. Still, I'll give anything a go!

Was thinking of including Requisition Cost and Reputation requirement, basic stat-line, and a short explanation of the special notes (Tearing, Accuracy, and what they do).

It would be similar to the one's that nice person did for Final Sanction, but with more detail on them. Then they could be printed and laminated to protect them from destruction by the unforgiving hands of the players.

What do you all think? Do you know someone who has already taken on this project, or are you even tackling it yourself?

All advice would be most welcome!

It might be worth it, and it might not be. After all, there should be room on the character sheets for these stats. However, should you undertake such a project, I'd say it would be a good idea to ask your players rather then us if this is a good idea, and if they think so, get them to help you complete the project. 

Realisticly, rather than create every variation of every weapon all at once, you could just create cards on a needs basis. First stat them and hand them out on 3x5 index cards, then put them into a program later.  

Or someone can create an equipment card template, with stats on the front, notes on the back. Print out a bunch of them, maybe index card sized and as players requisition stuff, they fill out the cards and when they stop using that equipment, file them away alphabetized to be reused later. 

My primary thought process was to avoid having to rub out the equipment from your character sheet each time you turn them back into the armoury.

I do like the idea of having a basic template and then getting the players to fill them in as they use them to keep for later use. Would save a lot of time without running the risk of designing cards for equipment that may never get used.

Thanks for the input!

Another plus is that players can pull the same cards for themselves across several missions, marking that they took that specific bolter over and over... As a GM, that's a great opportunity to make that weapon special, perhaps its machine spirit has attuned itself to that player more and grants some small benefit while using it.

I'm actually waiting for optional "lockable"/jigsaw character sheets and equipment cards, as well as cards for squad and solo modes, and official counters that track Cohesion etc.  FFG did it with WFRP2 and it seems to suit the flavour of Deathwatch, so... :D

Kage

When I said "waiting" I really meant to say "expecting."  It seems to be right up the alley of FFG.

Yeah, though, that's the kind of thing that I would have thought that they might have tried to create.

Kage

Have to say, GG, those cards look way nicer than the one's I've been hammering together. Makes my look like they were crafted by and Ork Mekboy! gran_risa.gif

But yes, something along those lines would be perfect. I'm still looking into it but I'm current;y in the process of scouring the internet for a list of 100 names per chapter in the book to make a name generator with. To be honest I finished the list yesterday but something went wrong and the file buggered up so I've had to start from scratch (bloody computers...).

cards are nice though a simple sheet with all the equipment on with req costs and a check box may be simpler to create.

I do like the idea of the cards though, just that you will need at least as many copies of items as players, but as quick ref is cool.

In my experience, some (especially mine) players are not too happy about equipment cards, feels a bit too much like treasure in a boardgame. not bad per so, as we like to play boardgames as well, especially those with loot and treasure cards but it can feel a bit too 'lighthearted' for an rpg, where most peeps like to write stuff down on their sheet as it feels more 'proper' somehow;

Thing is, i'm going to make a third page for the character sheet, with just some copy/pasting of Weapon tables and room for extra talents, as well as some more room ofr equipment. these things lack space on any character sheet of any rpg...

What a splendid idea. Works well with this military-type setup, where you don't own them guns, only borrow them. Maybe I could remove the weapon stats from the character sheet entirely... Hum. Nice.

Ok, as i promissed..

A PDF containing cards with Clips for Astartes Weapons (I dropped minor SP and Las weapons, because Battle Brothers won't use them any way).

Download here (611 KB)

Now I'm working on weapons and equipement cards, will upload them as soon as possible.

If You have any questions or corrections, please notice me via PM.

Have some nice gaming :]

PS:
Cards are fitted for standard A4 page, but it shouldn't be a problem to scale them for US papers. Printed at 100% on A4, cards are 63mm x 88mm and fit ideally into any protector sleeves if needed.

I'm looking forward to this!

It amazes me how quickly some of you people can put things together. When I set myself a little project it can take me ages, so much so that I sometimes end up calling it a day and not bothering to finish it angel.gif

This is a great idea. Personally, I wonder why FFG has not thought to make an equipment deck for each of the WH40K RP settings. They would just have to fit nicely into one (of the many) sizes of sleeves that FFG already provides.

I am pretty sure that they would sell. If the sales numbers for these games are as high as is thought by the general public, then they would have no problem selling them. I know another company that made card decks for their miniatures based on faction and they sold pretty well, at least enough to print and publish updated decks when they updated the rules......

I'm working on a new set, I'd like to make it as complete as possible. I'm starting out with the gear that is available at Uninitiated Renown Level.

I'm not sure what FFG thinks about it and which limitations they would want to impose though. Some game companies wouldn't want someone distributing the stats of their items for free. I'll go ahead for personal use and will put them online unless FFG asks me not to.

And it's only part of one chapter of the book in any case. It's not like someone who would want to pirate DW would resort to such equipment cards but instead get his hand on a pdf of the book which probably are easily available.

Btw, I am using the Magic Set Editor - if anyone has another/better recommendation for making these cards... I am all ears.

Alex

I'm not knocking anyone's preference, but I find it highly ironic that FFG has gone to the trouble to produce a hardback version of WFRP with optional rules to let people write stuff down on a character sheet rather than use all the cards and tokens that come with the game as it has been sold up until now, because apparently a lot of people were put off by all the "accessories". Now here we have a "traditional" game that requires you to write stuff down on your character sheet and we have all kinds of people clamouring for FFG to produce a nice deck of cards. Next thing you know, folks will start asking for wound counters because constantly updating that on your character sheet doesn't make sense.