Sign in to follow this  
jack merridew

T,arg deck and Baelerion the Black

Its a fun casual build - teh Wildling who lets you play creatures for free is a lot of laughs Its kind of neat to kneel everything out and let him rampage.

But not something i would bring to a competitive tournament.

I agree.  I also build a draghon deck for Targ which is fun to play and yes it could also win games, but it get´s crushed by more viable deck strategies. I also think it can´t be wrong to include one copy in your usual Targ deck, if it´s ever able to him. 

Unfortunately, if Balerion is "put into play" via Varamyr's ability, his "when played" effect (that kneels all Dragons) does not occur.

But I played a Dragons and Burn focused Targaryen deck the other night, and on a whim, just before the game, I added Balerion. The game was really close (I was playing vs. Stark). By playing dupes on Rhaegal and Viserion, I had managed to keep my dragons alive, but the Stark player was running a lot of 2-claim plots, and he kept jumping ahead in power. As we entered the late game, I managed to get Drogon into play, too.

I had drawn Balerion into my hand on the previous round. On the final round, I considered my locations very carefully. I had 3 "+1 Gold" locations," and two "eastern fiefdoms." I played "Take them by Surprise" (5-gold), and named my opponent first player. He put out some characters, and then it was my turn to marshal. I counted out my 8 gold and knelt both my fiefdoms.

He groaned when Balerion hit the table. All his characters where knelt, but I still had 4 characters standing (Balerion, Rhaegal, Viserion, and Drogon). He immediately conceded the game to me.

If I had gotten Balerion early in the game, he might have cost me the game (I wouldn't have been able to play him). But late in the game, he won it for me.

I probably won't run Balerion in a tournament (if I play in a tournament), but man, she feels sweet when she hits the table.

Balerion is more of "Haha, that's funny" card more than anything else at the moment.  Until we see more ways to reduce the cost of Dragons, it won't really see any competitive play. 

Not to hijack this thread, but a bunch of LI/NY players are meeting up next Thursday to play AGoT, jack.  You and your friends should definitely check it out! 

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=137&efcid=4&efidt=201834&efpag=0#379717

an italian player "dragonlord" played a summer deck based only in balerion and run very well. Lots of gold

plot high claim. Summer. Summer encampement. And balerion jumping in jumping out. Bay of ice. He had always initiative and made opponent start. Then balerion in game. All knelt.

Unluckly this is a slow build so he suffered rush decks a lot. At the moment I agree that Balerion deck is just fun.

I built a Targ Legacy deck recently and included Baelerion.  I actually got him out the second turn if I remember correctly.  I almost won the game but my buddy was not playing the highlander format so he did have an advantage.  It seemed to work out pretty well and I think that I will keep the deck and continue to work on it with the release of new cards.  Its seems to me that ffg is just re-releasing old cards anyway with new artwork.  Hoping to see new dragon cards with the new chapter packs.

Geez - in Legacy you could play him for Plot gold with Empty the Vaults. Or with Trading with teh Pentoshi (i miss that Plot though i know its never coming back) you really wouldn't need much else.