Sign in to follow this  
FFG_Sam Stewart

Announcing the next Rogue Trader book: Edge of the Abyss

I am excited for these waits. I do not know about you Peace, but I like getting new reading materials for the only active game setting I am currently following. All the other games I play are oop collections.

Its like trying to find treasure the week they release. I drive to every game store in the area, peruse their section and see if they will be the first to get them in, if they will be I pre-purchase.

Alexis

*smiles*

Cailieg said:

I am excited for these waits. I do not know about you Peace, but I like getting new reading materials for the only active game setting I am currently following. All the other games I play are oop collections.

Its like trying to find treasure the week they release. I drive to every game store in the area, peruse their section and see if they will be the first to get them in, if they will be I pre-purchase.

Alexis

*smiles*

Thats all and good and I too look forward to these works. But lets be honest here, unless some miracle happens, but "This Fall" they more that likely mean "January", but I hope they prove me wrong.

Peacekeeper_b said:

Thats all and good and I too look forward to these works. But lets be honest here, unless some miracle happens, but "This Fall" they more that likely mean "January", but I hope they prove me wrong.

The releases around GenCon tend to be the trickiest, really - convention season and summer holidays tend to interfere with things running quite as smoothly as desired. Certainly, since FFG gained the 40kRP licence, I've noticed that the products intended for an August release tend to have a little more turbulent time reaching the shops - Rogue Trader had the same problems that Deathwatch now suffers.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to Edge of the Abyss - it was my first real opportunity to get my teeth into writing background for the Koronus Expanse (the background I wrote in Into the Storm is primarily to give context to the rules, rather than anything that touches upon the big picture), exploring a number of different topics and different ways of presenting things that might otherwise be quite familiar.

whats up with FFG,, a gazetter to the expanse is wayyyy down my list,, why do they waste time on this when what everyone wants is a book on ships (the focal point of every campaign/adventure !!!!) i'm very disappointed!! its like playing 5th ed. 40k with 3rd ed. vehicle rules , get to it! 

! : ? said:

whats up with FFG,, a gazetter to the expanse is wayyyy down my list,, why do they waste time on this when what everyone wants is a book on ships (the focal point of every campaign/adventure !!!!) i'm very disappointed!! its like playing 5th ed. 40k with 3rd ed. vehicle rules , get to it! 

Sadly for you, and thankfully for lots of other people, including myself, FFG don't work by your list, they work by theirs. In the same way as Disciples of the Dark Gods was released at this point for Dark Heresy, Edge of the Abyss is being released now for Rogue Trader. Given I've already seen the book, I f-ing love the thing, and it's provided a hell of a lot more to my games than a book of space ships would, though obviously YMMV.

I for one can't wait to get my hands on the finished article, the art for RT has been **** impressive, in my opinion, and I'm sure this one won't disappoint.

MILLANDSON said:

Sadly for you, and thankfully for lots of other people, including myself, FFG don't work by your list, they work by theirs. In the same way as Disciples of the Dark Gods was released at this point for Dark Heresy, Edge of the Abyss is being released now for Rogue Trader. Given I've already seen the book, I f-ing love the thing, and it's provided a hell of a lot more to my games than a book of space ships would, though obviously YMMV.

I for one can't wait to get my hands on the finished article, the art for RT has been **** impressive, in my opinion, and I'm sure this one won't disappoint.

It will make an excellent Dark Heresy sourcebook. :)

The starships book, Battlefleet Koronus, is on the release schedule. It is, in fact, the next thing on the Rogue Trader release schedule after Edge of the Abyss. In the meantime, there is a chapter full of material concerning Starships in Into the Storm.

A starships book is on the way. Perhaps not as soon as you'd like, but it is coming. In the meantime, a book full of those other important parts of a Rogue Trader adventure or campaign (worlds to explore/exploit and adversaries to overcome) is no less important to the line as a whole, and helps nicely resolve one of the more common complaints I've heard about the game - that the setting material for the Koronus Expanse isn't sufficiently fleshed out.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

The starships book, Battlefleet Koronus, is on the release schedule. It is, in fact, the next thing on the Rogue Trader release schedule after Edge of the Abyss. In the meantime, there is a chapter full of material concerning Starships in Into the Storm.

Are we going to get official rules for BC+ ships?

LordMunchkin said:

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Are we going to get official rules for BC+ ships?

Until Sam/Ross/Mack announce something, we're not allowed to comment, sorry. NDAs and all that jazz, you know. You'll just have to wait to find out what's in the book from them first, and then me, N0-1_H3r3, etc, will be able to talk about it more.

Hey Millandson and others!

I'll no doubt appreciate this book as well as the other FFG products already here, no doubt 'bout that,, i just find it plain silly that a "light sourcebook" that every decent dm can do without is sceduled before vital rule/game information,,, it goes without saying that the all to late "into the storm" supplement is just that "all to late"! i reckon that there's loads of gaming groups out there that'll now have to go through the hassle and pc whining 'bout, oh if i had known that at character creation i'd done this and that and more etc etc,, i hate rpg coorporations for that,, every rpg i've played has pulled that trick on their customers and its crap,, sure i understand the reasons for doing so but i'm not at the money grabbin side of the table i'm at the other end!! the whole idea of a "players book" (into the storm/inq handbook) is nuthing but a money grabbin scheme and every one knows,, and every one pays!! just goes to show that FFG isn't (as well as all the other companies) taking the rpg entertainment genre seriously from anything but a sellers point of view,,, sure you could say that, hey just wait two yrs after gamerelease before you start your campaign, but,, but what? the point being that if i start gaming at the beginning my enjoyment of the game as a pc or dm would be far less than..... people playing rpgames (pc's/dm's) take the time they spend playing and the money they spend seriously,, as shown by example the gaming companies cares a rat ass 'bout the gaming experience,, what a shame,,,,,,,,, can't wait for one of my sons to grow up so that i can hand over my 80 something chtulhu products and say, hey, have a go, it's all there... !    shame on FFG for milkin' the cow dry, shame on you gametesters for gulping down the cream and shame on us buyers for licking the bottom of the barrel!!

Sorry, but the bits I could understand in all of that (you could do with putting it through a spell-checker and using proper sentences, it would make your points easier to understand) are entirely down to opinion, which, whilst valid to you, can be entirely incorrect to others. Who says that "every decent DM can do without [Edge of the Abyss]"? Why do you have to be a bad GM to use these products? Similarly, if you were a "decent DM", couldn't you do without a Spaceship Book, because obviously, by being "decent", you can just make the rules for it all yourself, right? Why would you need FFG to do it for you?

I honestly can't really agree with any of what you just said at all, because it mostly came across as a rant that bordered on the paranoid (especially when it got to "it's all just a money grabbin scheme". If that's the case, a book on Starships is "money grabbing", so you shouldn't buy that either) in my opinion.

Plus, lots of people have been asking for a book on planets, factions, and more setting information for Koronus, so FFG are giving a lot of people exactly what they want. How is that a bad thing? They seem to listen to their fans more than some companies *cough*WizardsoftheCoast*cough*.

MILLANDSON said:

Until Sam/Ross/Mack announce something, we're not allowed to comment, sorry. NDAs and all that jazz, you know. You'll just have to wait to find out what's in the book from them first, and then me, N0-1_H3r3, etc, will be able to talk about it more.

Oh how you tease! babeo.gif

Hey Millandson and others!

I'll no doubt appreciate this book as well as the other FFG products already here, no doubt 'bout that,, i just find it plain silly that a "light sourcebook" that every decent dm can do without is sceduled before vital rule/game information,,, it goes without saying that the all to late "into the storm" supplement is just that "all to late"! i reckon that there's loads of gaming groups out there that'll now have to go through the hassle and pc whining 'bout, oh if i had known that at character creation i'd done this and that and more etc etc,, i hate rpg coorporations for that,, every rpg i've played has pulled that trick on their customers and its crap,, sure i understand the reasons for doing so but i'm not at the money grabbin side of the table i'm at the other end!! the whole idea of a "players book" (into the storm/inq handbook) is nuthing but a money grabbin scheme and every one knows,, and every one pays!! just goes to show that FFG isn't (as well as all the other companies) taking the rpg entertainment genre seriously from anything but a sellers point of view,,, sure you could say that, hey just wait two yrs after gamerelease before you start your campaign, but,, but what? the point being that if i start gaming at the beginning my enjoyment of the game as a pc or dm would be far less than..... people playing rpgames (pc's/dm's) take the time they spend playing and the money they spend seriously,, as shown by example the gaming companies cares a rat ass 'bout the gaming experience,, what a shame,,,,,,,,, can't wait for one of my sons to grow up so that i can hand over my 80 something chtulhu products and say, hey, have a go, it's all there... !    shame on FFG for milkin' the cow dry, shame on you gametesters for gulping down the cream and shame on us buyers for licking the bottom of the barrel!!

Minor point; I'm not a playtester. I'm one of the writers of Into the Storm (and Edge of the Abyss, and other forthcoming books).

Now, you're welcome to your cynicism, but consider that some of the material in Into the Storm was material that was cut from the rulebook for space reasons (400 page rulebook, only so much you can fit in there, and while everyone has an opinion as to what is or isn't superfluous, each of those opinions is different), some of which was then expanded (the Ship Roles and vehicle rules, for example). In all cases, it's optional material, not compulsory for running the game, but useful to have anyway... which is the point. Nobody is forcing you to buy the books or use the contents, nor is it, IMO, a valid reason for a long run-on paragraph of ranting with far too many commas.

Any decent sourcebook will have things that players and/or GMs will want to use. That's the point - there has to be something in a supplement that people want, or nobody will ever buy it. And if nobody ever buys the supplements, then the people at FFG who make the games, and freelancers like myself who work on them, well, end up without work. A game line cannot exist on a rulebook alone, and there is only so much content that can go into any given rulebook... meaning that sourcebooks are desirable and necessary for covering the things that need to be covered, in the detail that they deserve to be covered in. Yes, it makes the company money... but at what point is that a bad thing? So long as FFG keep making money from it, they'll keep producing material for it. If they don't produce material for it, they don't make money, which affects the people who write the rules and the background (like myself) and who create the artwork, and so on. Feel free to disagree with the premise, but please at least acknowledge the consequences.

What you consider something "that every decent dm can do without" is a useful and valuable tool for others. Just because you've no interest in it, or would prefer to see something else sooner, is an opinion you're welcome to, but hardly the only opinion in circulation. Personally, from the perspective of someone who runs the game as well as writes for it, I'd much sooner have something for a group to explore in preference to more information about their method of exploration. That is, however, a moot point - none of us has to choose between them, we just have to wait, as it'll all be available in time.

Any "decent dm" can do without any sourcebook, or even a core rulebook. Fundamentally, the difference between a GM and a games developer/designer/writer is not particularly large in terms of the skills involved. Many of the things I've been asked to write since I started writing for FFG have been things I had already thought about and written rough rules for as a fan, player and GM. Every GM, to some extent, is capable of coming up with anything and everything they need to run a game... and in that light, published roleplaying games in all forms are an unnecessary frivolity. Which means that it all comes down to what people want. You want a Starships book... well, lucky for you, one is on its way (early next year, according to FFG's release schedule). Patience is all that is required.

What more Ship info do you need? Are you trying to play a table-top ship-to-ship combat game? If so, I think Battlefleet Gothic is more of what you are looking for. Extra detailing of the ships is merely more chrome. Honestly, the ship is just another vehicle, albeit a big one. It can also be a setting, of course, but it is a minor setting and it has plenty of info already. I need info on the star systems and treasures and so forth, not more ship chrome. Into the Storm gave me enough info on ships. Give the ship book a rest!

you need a hip book that bad? seriously? what do you need it for? you cant build your own ship, any good GM should be able to mesh together a set of rules for a ship (u c what i did thar!)

personally i am nothing but greateful with how great into the storm is and a nice setting book and gm sourcebook is really what i think we could use next, the players now have all this nice new fun stuff and well, we GM;s deserve some fun stuff. i may be running a game in the eastern firinges instead of the koronus expanse but i can gladly and gleefully steal worlds from there to give my players fun and new things to explore.

With that in mind, can you guys answer questions about it yet? and if so, what is your favorite bit of it? what cool places are we going to get to explore?

Fizzywig said:

With that in mind, can you guys answer questions about it yet? and if so, what is your favorite bit of it? what cool places are we going to get to explore?

We can't really start answering questions just yet. We'll be able to go into more detail as time goes on - each designer diary releases more information to the public that we can discuss, afterall - but at this relatively early stage, there's not much we can say.

Well, I am much interested in this book. It will help me to bring more detail to my campaign. A campaign that I play slowly enough to actually benefit from the books for the same campaign. But when this one finishes and I decide on trying another RT Campaign, then it will be very nice to have extra options for the players and GM alike.

Sure, I would have liked to have a few of those option from day 1 but that is impossible. it would also make the game to complex to start with.

Well, all this anxiety over release dates just goes to show how passionate people can be about FFG's game lines.

In fact, I am continually impressed with the quality that FFG is able to put out. And I'm glad, despite having diversified quite a bit, they still support all of their 40K lines. They seem to be finding just the right balance between catering to the community and staying true to the license. Also in terms of web presence, I think they're one of the best and obviously have high production values in mind on the digital side as well as the print side. Basically I'm one of their biggest fans right now.

Looking forward to the Autumn lineup!

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Minor point; I'm not a playtester. I'm one of the writers of Into the Storm (and Edge of the Abyss, and other forthcoming books).
Is it too early to ask questions about Edge of the Abyss?

Leogun_91 said:

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Is it too early to ask questions about Edge of the Abyss?

*points to N0-1's comment further up that those of us who know what is in the book and seen it can't really start talking about what is in it until Ross/Sam give us the OK, which is usually after a Designer Diary gives out info*