Sign in to follow this  
AlephTau

Adventures - lack of maps

I know this has been discussed before, but more in the context of missing maps as handouts to the players. I love this game, but it irritates me, that, as I prepare sessions, there are no maps in the adventure books to speak of. Maybe I'm just a more visual reader, but I really like to know where my group will be at what point in the adventure. For example, as I prepare TGS I'd really like to have a map of the way to the herdstone, the ossuary, etc. The card-sized maps are totally fine with me, but I don't want to hold cards while I read an adventure book. All these maps and some additional ones (like details on the garden of Morr) should be printed in the book as well. I know this system (rightly) shuns too much detail, but this just would make preparing so much easier for me as the GM.

No, they are not. Look at the 'Time to Mourn' Chapter. It is basically a creepy dungeon-crawl. The PCs are railroaded all the way to the crypt (fine by me, I like the chapter). Yet there are no maps of the temple of morr, no maps of the ossuary, no maps of the crypt.

And don't get me started on 'An Eye for an Eye'...

I agree with the last poster, I find the game lacking in maps. FFG should boost their map department.

I have said it before and I say it again, any decent rpg company should have nice maps, either printed in the book or available as a handout. I hope FFG will prioritize this for future supplements.

good gaming

What a dungeon crawl without a map bah! Come on FFG we need maps. I got the Edge of Night on the shelf right now waiting to do the adventure with my current game group as a player(got the buy FFG box sets when they come out or you'll wait months for repinting). I guess I'm going to be disapponted that FFG was short sighted about the maps again. As a game master I buy adventures to help save time for setting up the adventure. Now i'm going to have to come up with maps for this adventure down the road but maybe i get lucky and get copies from my current GM when he has to make them for our group (wink wink).

Edge of Night has a map of mansion - I think GM needs to do that up in larger size via printers etc or by drawing it out to create a big 'Clue Board' type arrangement.

I think it would have been nice if they had upped the size of the "map cards" to at least a standard letter size page.  Likely a production cost issue keeping it at the smaller size.

Rob

What do for my PC's is this

I found some maps over at www.andreas.blicher.info/, they've got maps of all the "sub-zones" in the Empire and some of the areas around the Empire.

I use my TV as a computer screen and zoom onto the area they're in and use a laser pointer to give them an idea of the area.

Then I judge from the size of the cities on the map and make a hand-drawn handout that I just draw up from mind.

After the Session I save the map for later useage, if they should happen to return to the town or city.

Hope this helps, but I do agree, would be nice with some maps.

While I agree, that there should be more maps (or rather better maps) as player handouts, this thread was intended to discuss the lack of maps in the adventure books to help GMs preparing adventures.  Again - it would really help me as the GM to have a visual aid (read: map) along with the flowtext to know where the action I'm reading about takes place...

I hate to disagree with everyone, but I think one of the great things about FFG WFRP is that it gets away from maps.  I understand what one poster said about A Time to Mourn from TGS, but I realized as I was reading it that I like that there isn't a map.  Without maps, exploration is speed of plot, and I can adjust descriptions and location cards as need be.  The lack of maps creates tension with the players, and I as a GM, love any tension that they suffer.

My personal opinion of course.

valvorik said:

Edge of Night has a map of mansion - I think GM needs to do that up in larger size via printers etc or by drawing it out to create a big 'Clue Board' type arrangement.

I did precisely this when I playtested that campaign (8.5 X 11 sheet of paper with room to place character standups). It REALLY helps.

Heck, I even did the same with the city map to keep track of where everyone was, where they had been etc...

It wasn't even a literal map: just a big grid with names of all the major places and a box to place character standups. Really helpful.

If you want to be more map based in the games, i'd suggest looking into MapTools from www.rptools.net.  Its a great digital tabletop for rpgs that you can share with your gamers remotely.  And its free! =)

I've made a bunch of maps and WFRP3 campaigns (with all the NPCs, monsters & maps) and have them availabel for download at Gitzman's Gallery

Check it out, might be right up your alley.  MapTools has a bunch of tutorials and overview videos on their site if you are more interested in what it does or how it works.

Game on,

Gitzman

Gitzman said:

If you want to be more map based in the games, i'd suggest looking into MapTools from www.rptools.net.  Its a great digital tabletop for rpgs that you can share with your gamers remotely.  And its free! =)

I've made a bunch of maps and WFRP3 campaigns (with all the NPCs, monsters & maps) and have them availabel for download at Gitzman's Gallery

Check it out, might be right up your alley.  MapTools has a bunch of tutorials and overview videos on their site if you are more interested in what it does or how it works.

Game on,

Gitzman

Yes, MapTools is great and I love your work, Gitzman. Thanks a lot for creating the maps.

In my gaming club, we have a laptop and a small LCD screen to which we send the MapTool output. We place the miniatures on top of the screen (which is protected by a hard plastic) and the result is really impressive, specially for games such as D&D 4th.

With WH 3rd edition, I don't find the need to use maps so often, but I find that not having maps can be quite confusing during combat situations, so I would also like to see some more tactical maps in the published scenarios... I would also be willing to buy, for a reasonable price, map-based products of good quality (such as the series I mention below).

By the way, if you are interested in MapTools, Paizo has a very good selection of maps created by professional designers at very good prices (the series is called Fantastic Maps).