Sign in to follow this  
Captain Harlock

Into the Storm - Clippers and Q Ships

Still waiting for Into the Storm to enter the UK. Does anyone know what clipper and Q Ships are fluff wise? Im assuming that the Q-Ships are the same kind out of battlefleet Gothic, but waht about Orion Class Clippers, What kind of transport is it and how does it differ from a Vagabond or Pilgrim  Transport Ship (No need for game details, just the fluff aspect) Is it some kind of small fast transport?

Captain Harlock said:

Still waiting for Into the Storm to enter the UK. Does anyone know what clipper and Q Ships are fluff wise? Im assuming that the Q-Ships are the same kind out of battlefleet Gothic, but waht about Orion Class Clippers, What kind of transport is it and how does it differ from a Vagabond or Pilgrim  Transport Ship (No need for game details, just the fluff aspect) Is it some kind of small fast transport?

A Q-ship is essentially a normal transport with concealed weapons, just like in BFG. The Orion-class Star Clipper is a fast, but quite fragile, transport ship.

How is the Q ship different from say a transport ship that has the machine spirit quirk "wolf in sheeps clothing"? Does it genuinly mask ALL  the weaponry?

Also is the clipper just as fast as a raider with transport capacity, or is it just really a tiny vessel ala Firefly but with a warpdrive and a souped up plasma drive?

The Clipper is a full size vessel, not a tiny Firefly. "Serenity" is more like a large lander in 40k terms. The clipper is 3km long and 400 meters wide at its fins. It has 14,000 crew. Its HI is low, and it cant be equipped with additional armor. It does not give any info as to what rule-wise this extra speed does for it though. The Manoeuverability is a +25. I am not sure what this does in terms of actually moving cargo. I would have thought that having the ship would increase profit in cargo endeavours or something.

The Q-ship rules are not vast. It does not say how the hidden weapons affect gameplay, just that they are hidden until the enemy is up close, and then gets blasted.

Grand Inquisitor Fulminarex said:

The Clipper is a full size vessel, not a tiny Firefly. "Serenity" is more like a large lander in 40k terms. The clipper is 3km long and 400 meters wide at its fins. It has 14,000 crew. Its HI is low, and it cant be equipped with additional armor. It does not give any info as to what rule-wise this extra speed does for it though. The Manoeuverability is a +25. I am not sure what this does in terms of actually moving cargo. I would have thought that having the ship would increase profit in cargo endeavours or something.

The Q-ship rules are not vast. It does not say how the hidden weapons affect gameplay, just that they are hidden until the enemy is up close, and then gets blasted.

A Ok so the vagabond is still the smallest ship then a, while the manouvrability puts it on par with a merchant raider. This is what I was getting at. In age of sail terms a clipper was a small fast ship that was meant to move perishable comodities from the colonys back to the old world quickly (ie tea/exotic fruit) and I wanted to know if this reflected in the fluff. Im suprised its 3km long, just short of the size of a light cruiser and 14000 people... must be quite an empty ship.

Captain Harlock said:

A Ok so the vagabond is still the smallest ship then a, while the manouvrability puts it on par with a merchant raider. This is what I was getting at. In age of sail terms a clipper was a small fast ship that was meant to move perishable comodities from the colonys back to the old world quickly (ie tea/exotic fruit) and I wanted to know if this reflected in the fluff. Im suprised its 3km long, just short of the size of a light cruiser and 14000 people... must be quite an empty ship.

Or a ship filled to the brim with valuables.

Leogun_91 said:

Captain Harlock said:

5000 of the 14000 crew as ship board enforcers eh? Voidsmen can be so untrustforthy nowadays...

Captain Harlock said:

Leogun_91 said:

Captain Harlock said:

5000 of the 14000 crew as ship board enforcers eh? Voidsmen can be so untrustforthy nowadays...

They could just have very good ship board enforcers at all exits. It doesn't matter what objects the crew gets their hands on as long as there is no way for them to leave the ship with it.

The Clipper is designed to move very valuable goods quickly. I think the 3km X 400m description is meant to mirror the clippers of old Earth, being sleek and long. That is about it. I originally did not like the Clipper, but I am now going to study it further, as it might make the perfect vessel.

The Clipper is designed to move very valuable goods quickly. I think the 3km X 400m description is meant to mirror the clippers of old Earth, being sleek and long. That is about it. I originally did not like the Clipper, but I am now going to study it further, as it might make the perfect vessel.

It is also the only ships hull so far with a Keel mount.  Woot for 360º firing arc.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Brother Praetus said:

It is also the only ships hull so far with a Keel mount.  Woot for 360º firing arc.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Clearly able to fire backwards as it tries to get away. Perfect for the rogue trader who thinks that discretion is the better part of valour but needs a 'little extra' to keep enemies off his back while he scarpers.

Captain Harlock said:

Clearly able to fire backwards as it tries to get away. Perfect for the rogue trader who thinks that discretion is the better part of valour but needs a 'little extra' to keep enemies off his back while he scarpers.

Indeed.  And the clipper's other mount is Dorsal, so it has very good coverage with all of its weapons.  All weapons can fire Bow, Port and Starboard, with half it's firepower being able to hit targets Aft of it.  It's hella fast and maneuverable.  I think I may have a new favorite hull for the time being.

-=Brother Praetus=-