Sign in to follow this  
Deadline247

How long does inter-system travel take (planet-to-planet)?

In the 40K universe, are inter-system planet-to-planet trips done by very short warp trips, or is it handled differently? I'm trying to figure out how much time my crew has on board as they travel from one planet to the next in the Magoros system.

It takes a few days to travel from the edge of the system to inner planets. I'd estimate it takes about a day to travel between worlds. Longer if they're in apogee, shorter in perigee.

ElfSpeaker said:

It takes a few days to travel from the edge of the system to inner planets. I'd estimate it takes about a day to travel between worlds. Longer if they're in apogee, shorter in perigee.

Alto the warp is know for making ship appear long time after they where sent out or even before they where sent out. As a Dm you hsould once in a while distort what happens in terms of time it take to travel vs time really traveled no too much just a bit to unsettle the characters if you want. a Very time important task could be made extremely critical by a day or two slip while another even made irrelevant because the player arrive days or maybe years before they really departed... or responding to a message before it arrives or is sent, etc.

A very good roll can shorten the travel time, I believe it is part of the ship section and will probably be listed more in the upcoming ship expansion book.

Also make it important to show that warp travel is never fully safe, roll a false dice once in a while when they are in the warp (more then you would do) just to put them on the edge, have a miniature section of the ship slip into the warp to show the effects maybe... creating a sort of event horizon mini game.

The book describes it as taking over a week to go from inner system to outer system, so probably a day or two for inner worlds.

I do, however, allow my players to push the ship must faster. The main reason for subluminal top speeds is the damage that microparticles can cause, so fi tehy are willing to stress their void shields and risk damaging components I am willing to let them make it from inner to outer system in a little over a day, as long as they have room to accellerate/descellerate.

crisaron said:

ElfSpeaker said:

Alto the warp is know for making ship appear long time after they where sent out or even before they where sent out. As a Dm you hsould once in a while distort what happens in terms of time it take to travel vs time really traveled no too much just a bit to unsettle the characters if you want. a Very time important task could be made extremely critical by a day or two slip while another even made irrelevant because the player arrive days or maybe years before they really departed... or responding to a message before it arrives or is sent, etc.

A very good roll can shorten the travel time, I believe it is part of the ship section and will probably be listed more in the upcoming ship expansion book.

Inner system travel doesn't use the warp.

oh inter system travel... MY bad totally shut me down please...

All star system have different layouts, they can be gigantic orbits (the far asteroid system in our sollar system can be relatively close for other size of stars) to tiny compressed start system. days to weeks depending on the reactor speed, debris, astral events, obstacles, solar grivaty, gravity wells,asteroids fields, etc.

Remember our sun is a tiny ball, out there there are huge freaking monster stars and planet. If it is irrelevant don't put to much mind to a star system size making the traval time relative to the players need, if it is important I believe you should build the star system map with a little concept in mind.

Deadline247 said:

In the 40K universe, are inter-system planet-to-planet trips done by very short warp trips, or is it handled differently? I'm trying to figure out how much time my crew has on board as they travel from one planet to the next in the Magoros system.

It's handled by travelling at STL speeds from one planet to the next. If you make a solar system with a believable size, you can use the acceleration figures given in the ship details to calculate the trip length.

I made a spreadsheet to handle the calculations. I could send you a copy if you want.

I think what often gets overlooked is that the distance between celestial bodies is not constant so really it can take however long you want it to take.  I would anywhere from a couple of days, when planets are at there closest, to a couple of weeks, when they are at there furthest.

You could warp out from anywhere, but the presence of planets/moons/debris/etc nearby can damage a vessel if it jumps to warp near them, presumably due to gravitational differences, etc. The effect of a warp rift (warp engines seem to pull open a small rift and then push the ship through it) near to a planet might not be advisable either.

Basically, it's better for everyone that you jump to warp on the edge of the system.

There are 38,2 AUs between Eris and the sun in our solar system, one AU is 150 million killometers, a Jericho Class pilgrim vessel moves 3 VUs (or 30.000km) per half hour, this may be adjusted by a skilled pilot or tech priest, that means that one AU takes 250 hours to travel, or rougly 10 days. So it would take 398 days to travel from Eris to the sun, this is greatly modified by ship type.

In short, science has no place in the WH40k universe. Roll a die/dice and make it that number of days. 

(400 days to travel from the outer-edge to the inner part of the system? Right. The example with Eris is in perihelion, the mean distance would be twice as much, meaning what - 800 days just to arrive at a planet inside a system? No, I don't think so.)

Leogun_91 said:

There are 38,2 AUs between Eris and the sun in our solar system, one AU is 150 million killometers, a Jericho Class pilgrim vessel moves 3 VUs (or 30.000km) per half hour, this may be adjusted by a skilled pilot or tech priest, that means that one AU takes 250 hours to travel, or rougly 10 days. So it would take 398 days to travel from Eris to the sun, this is greatly modified by ship type.

The flaw here is that VUs are 1) specifically stated to be abstract, so saying that 1VU always equals 10,000km is incorrect, and 2) only used as a distance in combat. They are capable of a lot higher speeds when not in combat, as demonstrated by the acceleration value for each of the hulls, which would reduce that 398 days to about 10-15 days (taking into account slowing down to pass through the asteroid belt, etc).

Personally, to avoid lots of time skipping in my games (and to bring RT speeds in line with certain other 40k publications) it takes about 9-10 hours to close from the safe-warp threshold to the inner system if you come in hot and don't take the time to register your craft as friendly.

Mostly just because I don't like saying "and eleven days pass without much of anything happening"

To appear friendly it takes about 24 hours to reach the inner system.

Leogun_91 said:

That same ship has its acceleration given as "1.6 gravities max acceleration". If I assume that it can keep that up constantly (doubtful, other ships have "max sustainable acceleration"), meaning it spends half the trip accelerating, turns around, then spends the other half decelerating, then my calculator give a travel time of 13.85 days. This assume two things:

- That the starting velocity is identical to the final velocity. Given that the ships velocity peaks at 3% of c, this seems reasonable.

- The ship turns around instantly.

- It doesn't matter how much the local planets are damaged by the ships exhaust.

So I'd then round the travel time up to the next day to allow for this, and to simplify healing.

I make the travel time from a warp transit to the planet dependent on the skill of the Navigator. In the last step he must make a roll to exit the warp properly. I use that roll to determine how far of the ship is from its target.

Say it is a 5 day transit time. Every margin of succes shortens the time by 1 day, every failure adds a day . So a good Navigator can make for a fast inter-system transit while a bad one can make it a long haul indeed

I've uploaded my spreadsheet here. It is very rough because that was good enough for my use. You will need to download a copy to make any edits.

Cells B2 B12 are the ones to change for calculating travel times.

The block A4:B9 is to calculate how long it takes a ship with the given acceleration to reach a speed given in B4. I don't have any use for it.

MILLANDSON said:

The Windows executable doesn't work, it just brings up "Could not find main class: rttraveltimecalculator.Main". Have you missed something out whilst compiling it?

Odd. Looking close I see that it works fine for me when in the same folder as the .jar, but when I remove the .jar doesn't. But that just causes it to fail without giving an error message.

This is the first time I've tried compiling a java program into a .exe.

The .jar should work on its own.