Sign in to follow this  
Zhumogg

Preparing the players for Dead Stars

I have just finished playing Damned Cities with my group. The players are rank 4 to 6.

Any suggestions on adventures to bring the players to rank 6-7? I have played all the published adventures so far. Are there any good scenarios on the website?

[spoiler ALERT]

Use this opportunity to include more Haarlock adventures. I’ve never liked how Damned Cities is just a murder-mystery with no solid Haarlock connection, and then suddenly that thing in the mirror blurts out where the acolytes have to go for the final episode in the trilogy. It would be more rewarding, I think, if the acolytes have more deductions and investigations to do before they are set on track for Mara.

If they already know they have to go there, you could include adventures obtaining permission to go there, finding a ship captain crazy enough to venture to that damned planet, or interviewing survivors (who ofcourse are now locked away in asylums and speak only in delirious rants) to learn more about the place, possibly tying it up to the Mara Landing Massacre background material in the Inquisitor’s Handbook.

Thats good advice. The guardsman in  my group has the mara masacre background, so that gives som opportunities.

Im also considering making something more out off Inquisitor Herrods background. The players can investigate some of his works and find out he is dead...I would also like to flesh out Inquistor Marr. Any suggestions?

I think I would keep Marr as mysterious and enigmatic as possible. In The Radical's Handbook I believe is suggested he is part of the Ordo that monitors the assassin temples of the Imperium. Good luck tying that in to the Haarlock storyline. I think it would be way more thrilling if there is some sort of connection between Marr and the House of Haarlock, perhaps a bloodline ...

Who was Herrod again?

Herrods the Inquisitor potentially behind the Spectre Cell in Damned Cities and part of the Tyrantine Cabal. From what I've read so far he sounds like a rogue element of the Cabal (i've only just got Dead Stars).

Inquisitor Herrod is legate of the Tyrantine cabal. He was once a brilliant Inquisitor held in high esteem. Most think he has perished, but he has been cybernetically resurrected and are leading one of the other groups drawn to Mara.

Hi

If you fancy running something a little different I have just posted a link to an additional scenario i've put into my Haarlock campaign called The Twisted House, it start off not being Haarlock related at all, but ends up with the acolytes in a Haarlock created maze, with the cheese at the end being a Greyskin Psalter.

Let me know how it goes if you do run it, or if you need any help with the scenario.

Thanks

Surak

Surak said:

Hi

If you fancy running something a little different I have just posted a link to an additional scenario i've put into my Haarlock campaign called The Twisted House, it start off not being Haarlock related at all, but ends up with the acolytes in a Haarlock created maze, with the cheese at the end being a Greyskin Psalter.

Let me know how it goes if you do run it, or if you need any help with the scenario.

Thanks

Surak

I skimmed it earlier tonight.  It has some possibilities.  Surak has provided some nice details and NPC data but has left plenty of room for other GMs to all sorts of extra material and scale the adversaries according to the player group.   What would moderately annoy my team, briefly, would murder the heck out of a rank 4 cell of acolytes, so this is a good thing...

Recommend slipping in some extra goodies that will get your players to sit up and take notice, then cunningly slip it into an ongoing adventure series so they don't see the obvious "module starts here" line painted on the deck plating.

Somehow I am seeing a Haarlock induced "Scooby Doo hallway scene" as the inspiration for this one.   Either that or some movie that will be seen on SciFi channel but never in theatres.  partido_risa.gif

Quick question about Inquisitor Silas Marr and the Haarlock's Legacy line.  This thread seems like the right place to ask it.  My bunch just finished playing House of Dust and Ash and I intend to run all of the other Haarlock books for them.  The only book I don't have yet is "Dead Stars" and it's on its way.  In Tattered Fates I remember reading that you shouldn't kill off Inquisitor Marr if you can help it because he appears later.

Can anyone provide context for me?  My reason is that I want to throw in a bridging mission.  I'll tell you guys the premise and those who know can tell me if it might screw things up later.

At then end of House of Dust and Ash the players rescued an NPC, one I made up on the spot who isn't in the book as part of the adventure.  They kind of got attached to the dude, but when they got back for debriefing, Marr took the guy into custody for interrogation and they haven't seen him since.  This seemed logical to me.

In their bridging run, I want their Inquisitor to ask them to go in and retrieve this NPC from Marr for his own ends.  Marr should not know who acted against him.  Basically I want the NPC to appear later in other adventures as another agent of their own Inquisitor, and want to build a strong connection between them.  I also want to start reflecting the internicine warfare between various inquisitors of the ordos.  If they pull it off without Marr knowing who rescued the NPC, would it affect things later or make anything unplayable? How about their attitudes toward Marr, if say they developed a strong distaste or distrust of the guy, would that damage things later?  Also if Marr found out that it was them, again, would this close any doors in the later books?

Thanks in advance for any answers.