Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RARodger

Cantrips in play

5 posts in this topic

I haven't gotten to really play the game yet, so I'm living vicariously though the forum here.

I'm curious to know what have players used Cantrip for during your games. What have the GMs allowed and where did they draw the lines. What works about the generic "little spell" in play, and what doesn't?

***** The Gathering Storm SPOILER Below **********

In the Gathering Storm adventure there is a wizard (Celestial) who has been hurt and scarred horribly and each day he casts a cantrip to make his wounds disappear ... I'm not sure I'd let a PC do this but it gives you an idea of what an NPC is doing with cantrips.

I allowed our wizard to cast a cantrip like "protection of rain" for the party.

Was a Hard Spellcraft check and his manapool was reduced by 1 to reflect maintaining the spell.

The thing I've had to remind players of is that you can only do cantrips appropriate to your school.  A fire or light wizard can whip up a little light flame etc., not an amethyst mage, a wielder of azyr can send a wind to rustle leaves over there, not a wielde of ghyr etc.

That said, fair amount of cantrip use in last campaign by one wizard player.  Current wizard player seems to have forgotten spell exists.