Sign in to follow this  
dvang

Sneak Peek at Signs of Faith (long + pics)

HedgeWizard said:

I am a little disappointed that there isn't a career path (yet?) for non-caster priests.  Even an appropriate listing for NPCs.  Not a big deal, to be sure, but I would have liked to have seen that (as there was eventually created in v2). 

I think the priest career path does that just fine. Initiates don't start out being able to cast blessings as it is. They have to buy into it.

dvang said:

I agree with Monkeylite.  I never interpreted Shallyans as being anti-medicine. On the contrary, AFAIK they use medicine to augment their faith healing.  As Monkeylite said, it is the concept of greed for healthcare that they have problems with.

I guess that it is just my player group's interpretation of the setting. We have a sardonic and cynical view of the organized church in medieval history, so we paint the various religious orders in WFRP in that light.

We're also definitely bringing in the theme of religion being a major force for controlling the masses (ie- the worst parts of medieval European history). For example, the priestly orders not liking the idea that the common folk are learning to read, that a middle class is emerging and are distancing their dependence on the clergy because of their increasing self sufficiency.

One way that this takes form (in our variation of the Warhammer World) is that even the Shallyans are wary of non-clerical healers of any sort (herbalists and doctors).

Yeah it's definitely not canon, but we like this kind of added historical gritty-ness.

EDIT: This interpretation probably isn't very popular in these parts, but to each their own.

Since the Signs of Faith still has not arrived here in Sweden, I'd like to ask what career skills Chamberlain possess. Since a player is rather interested in moving into that career in the future. Also, what talent slots does the career have?

Chamberlain:

Characteristics:  Int, Fel

Skills: Charm,Discipline, Education, Guile, Intuition, Observation

Advances: Action 2, talent 2, skill 2, fortune 1, con1, reck, 1, wound 1

Talents:  Focus, Reputation, Reputation

Races: Human, Dwarf, High Elf

Traits:  Bureaucrat, Intermediate, social, urban

Amazon has finally shipped my copy of Signs of Faith. Since we're on a break from WFRP currently, I was willing to wait rather than look for an alternate source when it became available. At least I didn't get a "your order has been canceled" email like I did for the Deathwatch GM Kit.

Ok, so readed all SoF carefuly and it's a great expansion - after Winds of Magic - a must have. But I have a strange feeling that Nurgle is much more powerful than Tzeentch. Have You also got that feeling? He can regenerate, he has disease and a band of powerful daemons. Tzeentch now looks like a weenie compareing to his. Maybe it's just a feeling but still. What do You think?

ffgfan said:

Ok, so readed all SoF carefuly and it's a great expansion - after Winds of Magic - a must have. But I have a strange feeling that Nurgle is much more powerful than Tzeentch. Have You also got that feeling? He can regenerate, he has disease and a band of powerful daemons. Tzeentch now looks like a weenie compareing to his. Maybe it's just a feeling but still. What do You think?

Tzeentch strength does not come from stats, and ability to fight.

It comes from his constant, and very competent, use of others to do his fighting. With that he balances out with the other deamons, as it should be. The 4 deamons will constantly fight each other, but never win. Khorne wins on the field of battle, but what good is that when his soldiers might suddenly turn on him due to promises made by Tzeenth?

Of course, ability to plot can't really be shown on stats, but Tzeenth uses it, he uses it a lot happy.gif

I was just thinking about this last night while reading the Liber Infectis.

I actually think Tzeench is far scarier.  Mostly reading the book the Nurgle demons are certainly challenging, and the diseases they bear are terrifying, but from a crunchy player challenge stats factor the Tzeench servants come preloaded with alot more spells and powers that can alter the battlefield at high speed, plus much more severe corruption rules (which while less immediately deadly than diseases, are still clearly a way to permanently off/remove a character).

That said - yes.  Regeneration, vastly higher health levels, and the ever difficult to shake pestilences they leave behind make Nurgle and his servants quite, quite scary.

Necrozius said:

dvang said:

I agree with Monkeylite.  I never interpreted Shallyans as being anti-medicine. On the contrary, AFAIK they use medicine to augment their faith healing.  As Monkeylite said, it is the concept of greed for healthcare that they have problems with.

I guess that it is just my player group's interpretation of the setting. We have a sardonic and cynical view of the organized church in medieval history, so we paint the various religious orders in WFRP in that light.

We're also definitely bringing in the theme of religion being a major force for controlling the masses (ie- the worst parts of medieval European history). For example, the priestly orders not liking the idea that the common folk are learning to read, that a middle class is emerging and are distancing their dependence on the clergy because of their increasing self sufficiency.

One way that this takes form (in our variation of the Warhammer World) is that even the Shallyans are wary of non-clerical healers of any sort (herbalists and doctors).

Yeah it's definitely not canon, but we like this kind of added historical gritty-ness.

EDIT: This interpretation probably isn't very popular in these parts, but to each their own.

Hey, I don't mind your interpretation at all.  If it works for you, use it.  I was just explaining why Medicine did not seem to be a strange skill choice to me. I'd agree that religion is a major force for controlling the masses. I could also easily see Shallyans being wary of non-clerical healers of any sort.  That doesn't necessarily mean that they eschew non-magical medicine, though.