Sign in to follow this  
ellindar2

Why does no developer 'get it' when it comes to lord of the rings?

One of the most popular card games there was, was the original Star Wars CCG.  Why?  You could play as dark or light side.

So here a developer has the chance to make a new lord of the rings in which they could FINALLY make a LOTR game that could give you Light against Dark and instead they choose to do ANOTHER **** cooperative LOTR???  Why do people constantly keep doing this with LOTR?  Even decipher's was just a race to the end and it wasn't like you actually had a full dark deck against a light deck.  No, instead the bad guys were again just an after thought and just played for a phase or 2. 

People WANT to be able to play as a nazgul with orcs, trolls, etc at their command, people want to be orcs, people want to have a 'balrog' deck.  Such a complete shame and waste again of another LOTR license.

Please wake up.

I played this at GenCon by the way, and why the mechanics are fine, the coopertive play again leads to sheer boredom.  We left extremely let down.

Toqtamish said:

You could play as Nazgul in MEccg and you played as bad guys and good guys in Deciphers game. So there is two card games that both have exactly what you are asking for.

So you replied without even reading the post... like most trolls.  Had you bothered to read, you'd see I specifically stated that having bad guys as just a 'part' of the deck and as after thoughts was not even remotely close to what people are looking for.  Also, again, had you bothered to read, you'd see I specifically stated that decipher's star wars ccg where you could have a light DECK and a dark DECK was the goal.  And then I even went on to describe having a nazgul deck commanding orcs, trolls, etc.  Love having to repeat the whole post since you can't be bothered to read it in the first place but want to respond because you feel the need to jump into a conversation you apparently don't belong in.

Kzer-za said:

Try War of the Ring or Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. Those games let you play on the bad guy side.

Are these card games? If so I'll take a look as I am not aware of them but that would be great if so.  And thanks for the reply.

ellindar said:

Toqtamish said:

You could play as Nazgul in MEccg and you played as bad guys and good guys in Deciphers game. So there is two card games that both have exactly what you are asking for.

So you replied without even reading the post... like most trolls.  Had you bothered to read, you'd see I specifically stated that having bad guys as just a 'part' of the deck and as after thoughts was not even remotely close to what people are looking for.  Also, again, had you bothered to read, you'd see I specifically stated that decipher's star wars ccg where you could have a light DECK and a dark DECK was the goal.  And then I even went on to describe having a nazgul deck commanding orcs, trolls, etc.  Love having to repeat the whole post since you can't be bothered to read it in the first place but want to respond because you feel the need to jump into a conversation you apparently don't belong in.

Sorry ellindar but Toqtamish is right. In MEccg with the Lidless Eye expansion you could play as oneof the Nazgul. And there were also the fallen wizard expansion (with it you could play as a  fallen wizard- like Saruman after being corrupted) and with th Balrog expansion you could play as the balrog or Sauron himself 

PS: sorry of my english, it isn't my native language :)

The troll in this case is you. You came here specifically to rant about something that is not true. With ME CCG you played as the Nazgul with the lidless eye expansion and you could play as corrupted evil versions of the wizards with another expansion. There was an expansion, the last one, that was entirely fixed and let you play as the Balrog of Moria. With Deciphers you could build decks built more around the shadow side than the fellowship.

If you want to complain or get involved in the other games they still have very active communities.

MECCG: http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/index.php

LotR TCG: http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php

lol, I'm not talking about a ccg that is 20 years old... what a joke... I played ME ccg a million years ago and while it was an 'ok' game, its not a new developement with new art, etc.  And as for decipher, you refuse to read my posts again.  Either read it and reply intelligently or stop trolling my thread.  You can not play as a full good deck or full bad deck and your statement you could play as more of a shadow than fellowship is false since your cards had to be exactly split between the two.  I am here 'ranting' about something that is very valid in my opinion.  Two LOTR card games in a row that again don't give you the choices you should have.   And that is lame in my opinion.

I am quite thankful that we are not playing as the Shadow.

The reason this worked in Star Wars was because through the movies, we saw both sides of the story.  A significant amount of the time we watched the Empire plan and maneuver without the Rebels around. 

In Lord of the Rings, we do not see the shadow side of the story.  Tolkien did not write material through the eyes of shadow.  I personally do not WANT to play those characters.  I have no attachment to them because I only ever encountered them through the eyes of the Fellowship and that has bred contempt for their brand of evil.  The Empire was sexy: awesome outfits, mechanical precision, military perfection.  The Shadow is dirty, dark and disturbing.

Chevee

Well said Chevee.

As for OP if its so lame, don't play it I guess. There are lots of options that let you play the bad guys as you want but none of those appeal to you either it seems.

And now I go back to the real world instead of talking to the proverbial wall, you are right and everyone else is wrong, blah blah blah.

ellindar said:

lol, I'm not talking about a ccg that is 20 years old... what a joke... I played ME ccg a million years ago and while it was an 'ok' game, its not a new developement with new art, etc.  And as for decipher, you refuse to read my posts again.  Either read it and reply intelligently or stop trolling my thread.  You can not play as a full good deck or full bad deck and your statement you could play as more of a shadow than fellowship is false since your cards had to be exactly split between the two.  I am here 'ranting' about something that is very valid in my opinion.  Two LOTR card games in a row that again don't give you the choices you should have.   And that is lame in my opinion.

That 15 year old CCG, had the ability to play the evil side.  After the core game and it's 1st two expansions they made a new core game called Lidless Eye.  You could play the evil side as a Nazgul and control shadow agents instead.

I am fairly certain that no matter how good this new game is, it will not be better than MECCG.  Middle-Earth CCG has a very high learning curve, but once you get it...this new CCG will look rather childish in comparison.  Also, they had access to everything back then LOTR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Lost Tales, everything.  Nowdays you can pretty much only get rights to the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and nothing else. This same thing has happened to the developers of the new Lord of the Rings RPG "One Ring".

In short, you are  wrong.  You could play a the evil side with MECCG.

Edit: I see this has already been discussed.

Would that be the same Decipher Star Wars CCG  that had more magic bullets than a Kennedy assassination?  Just checking. 

I can understand your gripe, but let's be real for a second. Is the market REALLY there for sustainable shadow faction game play? I can't say it is. Also, all the best shadow monsters ridiculously strong. It'd make for a design nightmare. We can't  beef up the hobbits to wreck shop like Conan in order to keep up, and the nazgul, dragons, balrogs, etc cannot be nerfed. It'd ruin the spirit of both.

qwertyuiop said:

Would that be the same Decipher Star Wars CCG  that had more magic bullets than a Kennedy assassination?  Just checking. 

I can understand your gripe, but let's be real for a second. Is the market REALLY there for sustainable shadow faction game play? I can't say it is. Also, all the best shadow monsters ridiculously strong. It'd make for a design nightmare. We can't  beef up the hobbits to wreck shop like Conan in order to keep up, and the nazgul, dragons, balrogs, etc cannot be nerfed. It'd ruin the spirit of both.

When one hero such as aragorn can equal 100 orcs, then yes, one nazgul can equal 100 gondor warriors.  As always, stop thinking in terms of movies, books, etc. and start thinking in terms of a card game.  Its exactly the same.  And unfortunately, this living card game will be 'ok', but will not be what it could have been, just like so many others.

And as for the star wars card game and the 'magic bullets' all I have to say is LOL... after the years and years it ran and the sheer number of cards and expansions, that's going to happen to a CCG.  Haha, omg... unless maybe you were joking, in which case I'll laugh along with you instead of at you.

In the end, you can appeal to one small crowd, or you can appeal to everyone, let the game be about the PLAYER and what the PLAYER would like to do.  If its to be successful, you need to broaden the horizons.

ellindar said:

People WANT to be able to play as a nazgul with orcs, trolls, etc at their command, people want to be orcs, people want to have a 'balrog' deck.  Such a complete shame and waste again of another LOTR license.

The tricky thing about thinking you speak for all "people" — you discover that the clever little primates want different things.

So don't pretend to speak for me. I couldn't be more thrilled that FFG made three great decisions here: 1. Solo possibilities; 2. Co-op structure; 3. LCG format. I am 100 percent onboard with the early direction of this game. I'm not in the slightest bit disappointed. And I'm also a "people," so I'll just go ahead and speak for myself.

You're right about the troll, though. You'll see him when you look in the mirror.

I wasn't speaking for 'you' specifically nor said I was, I was speaking for the crowd of people discussing it at GenCon, friends, or others who've uttered the same thing.  **** ***. [ADMIN: Edited for foul language]

... said the troll.

It sounds like you're looking for a different game. Not to mention a clue, but that's a separate subject.

You've stated your case, weak as it might be. It's no one's fault that you're not getting the reaction you're looking for. So feel free to go troll some other games now.

Oh, BTW, the LotR co-op boardgame allows for this "dark side player" thing that seems to make you so tumescent. It's called the Sauron expansion. I'll even provide a link: http://tinyurl.com/y8ufsnp

Ok little boy... I'll spell it all out for you since you still can't read... (do they teach you kids anything in school today?)

1. Not looking for a board game... referenced CARD games specifically.  Such a waste of your time.

2. Correct, this game is not for me and I will not be purchasing it, and I came in to find out why people who license the CCG seem to like to do LOTR as an adventure path, or co-op or whatever, and not finally a one against one.  And also the option of light or dark.

3. I have got the reaction I was looking for, you again haven't bothered to read.  LOL

4. I was actually at GenCon and played the game, and shared my opinion with many others who also got up from the game with the same opinion. 

5. I never said you or any other fan boy had to dislike the game.  Nor did I say you're an idiot if you do like the game.  This game will appeal to a small sector and I hope those folks enjoy it immensely.  But after decipher's game, they should have tried to appeal to a different mass.

Finally, and I hope you were actually able to read this time so I don't have to repeat any of this in later posts like always... but you are trolling my thread.  If you don't like the opinion here, feel free to shut the hell up.  Oh, and I guess now we know who has the clue, and it isn't you.

Its not your thread, you don't own it simply because you opened this particular can of worms.

YOU want a game that allows you to play as the bad guys in LotR, we have all let you know of games that allow you to do exactly what you want from them. Yes they are no longer supported product wise, but ME ccg still is supported with an active community world wide and continues to be one of the highest priced "dead" ccg's going.

YOU have also resorted to calling everyone who disagrees with you a troll, yet fail to see that you are the troll who came here simply to start an argument.

YOU also decided to then curse at someone for having a different opinion. Great way to fail at making a valid argument or winning any support.

Toqtamish said:

Its not your thread, you don't own it simply because you opened this particular can of worms.

YOU want a game that allows you to play as the bad guys in LotR, we have all let you know of games that allow you to do exactly what you want from them. Yes they are no longer supported product wise, but ME ccg still is supported with an active community world wide and continues to be one of the highest priced "dead" ccg's going.

YOU have also resorted to calling everyone who disagrees with you a troll, yet fail to see that you are the troll who came here simply to start an argument.

YOU also decided to then curse at someone for having a different opinion. Great way to fail at making a valid argument or winning any support.

Didn't say I owned it, but it is my thread, I started it, and can state my opinion (and that of a lot of others which if you would READ you would know, its not just ME.  GOD read **** before you post.  Second, no, you haven't let me know anything, ONE old card game 15 years old does, which I already know about and is in fact a dead game.  There are no others. 

I called one person a troll because of an attack post, not an opinion or response.  I didn't call 'everyone' a troll lol.  Nice generalization tho.  If I am starting an argument because you disagree, simply disagree and don't argue.  I have zero probelms with someone who disagrees and have admitted there will be some folks who like the game, even tho the majority of the folks at gencon that we talked too also disliked it.  Which i've already stated if you would f'ing READ.  Also, the second replier actually replied with simple things... two games he thought I'd like, did you see us argue?  Nope, in fact we had two nice replies.  But the 'fan boys' who attack and haven't even played the game will get their dues, sorry to disappoint.

I did not curse at someone for an opinion, i cursed at someone who posted a simple attack.  ********* [ADMIN: Edited for foul language]