Sign in to follow this  
guest450670

Has an expansion been annouced?

Im just wondering if an expansion has been annouced, and if so have any details to contents been given?

If the answer to the above is no, then does anyone know why FFG hasnt done this yet for runewars, whens there is obviously quite a bit of demand for it, and it is a very popular game, and yet a brand new game "BoW" already has 2/3 expansions in development, and its level of popularity is still to be determined?

Battle of Westeros may be a new  game technically, but the Battlelore system on which it's based is hardly new - even before it was released, it would be a pretty familiar game and genre to people.  Runewars really doesn't have any previous background (Battlemist maybe, but that's an older game, and itself does play very different).  

Considering Runewars has only been out a few months (just over 6), I don't think we'll really see anything about an expansion until next year at the earliest.  And that's assuming there will be any expansions at all.  Runewars would benefit from them (and be able to add them easily), but that doesn't mean that they will ever happen.

Nope, no official information about an expansion as yet.  I hope we get at least one, but I wouldn't expect it until next year anyway since the base game was released this year.

This game is SOOOO ripe for an expansion. New races, more quests, more cards, you name it......

Slap it down, press it into cardboard, more mini Descent figures, I'll buy it.

Comon.....bring it on FFG!

On top of that, this is my 12 year old sons #1 game, HE wants an expansion even more than I do.

To be honest, I would be very surprised if this game doesn't get an expansion of some kind.  While Corey has apparently said the game was designed to be "complete", I don't know if that necessarily would preclude expansions - I think if he indeed said that, it was 1) To cover his butt in case the game bombed and no expansions would be made, and 2) That the base game IS a "complete" game and doesn't NEED an expansion to be complete - anything added will just be extra options that enhance the game, but don't "complete" it.

sigmazero13 said:

To be honest, I would be very surprised if this game doesn't get an expansion of some kind.  While Corey has apparently said the game was designed to be "complete", I don't know if that necessarily would preclude expansions - I think if he indeed said that, it was 1) To cover his butt in case the game bombed and no expansions would be made, and 2) That the base game IS a "complete" game and doesn't NEED an expansion to be complete - anything added will just be extra options that enhance the game, but don't "complete" it.

Personally, I would hope that any game is designed to be "complete" in the base box.  Expansions should be extras and varaitions, not something that was missing from the base and needs to be added.  Now, in the past there have been examples where the exansion added something so fundamental that many fans consider it a "needed addition" (Shattered Empire for TI3 comes to mind) but that's not quite the same thing.  TI3 base is perfectly playable as is, the errata correct the glaring issues and you're good to go.  I probably wouldn't go back to base only now that I have SE, but I never had complaints about missing elements before I got it.  That's how the best games and their corresponding expansions should be designed, IMHO.

Designing a game with the expectation of adding more stuff in expansions is pandering to the marketing divison at best, and outright exploitation of the customer base at worst.

I guess what I'm saying, in short, is that I agree with you that Corey's statement about the game being complete doesn't necessarily preclude expansions, although we might not see as many as Descent or Runebound for Runewars.  Personally I don't think that's a bad thing, either.  One or two is probably enough for me, and they might have trouble coming up with sufficient new material for more than that anyway.

Even if Corey's intention was not to make an expansion, I'm sure that if the base game sells well enough and the fans keep up with the good ideas in these forums, they'll at least consider the idea. =)

Well, what I meant by "complete" in this sense is that at least from what Corey apparently said, there was nothing intentionally left out.  IE, from what he implied, there were no factions that were cut from the game for inclusion later, for instance.

IE - by "complete", it means that while there's certainly room for things to be ADDED, it sounds like there wasn't anything that they decided to leave out specifically to include in a future expansion.  Contrast that with, say, World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game, where most of the characters were NOT included in the base game, but were instead released as separate expansions - that is an example where the game itself is still stand-alone, but not really "complete" in the sense that stuff apparently was left out of the base box intentionally (possibly to reduce costs of getting into the game, for instance).

Descent and Runebound were also probably built with expansions in mind specifically, again probably to save costs (it would be prohibitive to have all that stuff in one box, cost-wise!), and to allow players to buy the expansions they want to customize the game as needed. 

With Runewars, I'm guessing they built the game planning for NO expansions, but not necessarily precluding the idea if things were successful; IE, I see it more like TI3 (which apparently had no plans at all for expansion when first released) than games like Descent or Runebound or World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game.

sigmazero13 said:

Descent and Runebound were also probably built with expansions in mind specifically, again probably to save costs (it would be prohibitive to have all that stuff in one box, cost-wise!), and to allow players to buy the expansions they want to customize the game as needed. 

I can certainly see that for Descent.  Runebound not so much, considering how much of the base game gets thrown out to use one of the big box expansions, anyway.  I'm quite sure RB 2e was designed with the intention of making expansions, but since each expansion essentially replaces the base game by and large, they aren't really adding in anything missing so much as providing a whole new game with some recycled components.  I would qualify those as expansions that add extra stuff rather than filling the gaps - if anything, the base game fills in the gaps for each expansion. =)

I suppose you do have a point with regards to the card expansions though.  Everything except the adventure variants and character decks, anyway.

This is all academic, of course.  I think we both agree on the main point that an expansion for RW is likely (and certainly welcome!) despite Corey's statement.

Considering how new the game is and all the new game development going on I would be very surprised to see an expansion before next August if one is released at all.  The game could be expanded, really any game 'could' but Runewars just doesn't seem like it was meant to be.  Having said that if they released new races and/or map tiles I'd buy them in a snap.

The game is indeed ripe for expansion but it is also a marketing advantage as well for FFG.  The game has been released just over 7 months ago and sales for this game are probably still fairly strong.  Lets not forget the hype that still surrounds this game as well. So that makes the decision easy to hold off on releasing an expansion set.  Wait until the luster dies down for the game and sales have equaled out, then you announce a release of an expansion set and WALLA!  sales spike right back up.  Personally, I think there wil 2-3 expansion sets created for RW's that will be released within a year of each other.  Like we have all noted the game can easily acquire expansions and I am positive that FFG is not going to let that money making idea slip through their hands.

I would love an expansion that would let me take this game out to six players. Most of the time where we have a gathering of the gaming group I find myself unable to break this magnificient game out to play with them since we tend to have more than 4 players. When it's just myself and my significant other, the game is just a little too vicious for us to play directly against each other. I'd love to have two more races, a few more tiles, and maybe six more heroes (Dungeon Quest looks like it could handle the heroes part already)

However, once I started thinking about it, it'd be a lot more work for them to add races to this game than it was for TI3, for example, since each race has unique units which would require entirely new plastic bits to be made up instead of a recolor of previous units...

I won't hold my breath expecting an expansion, but I'd really like to get this game out on the table more often with the larger group. Our TI3 nights are very epic, and I'd like a mid-range alternative that could play out a little quicker on some of the nights where we get a later start.

Slackarius said:

However, once I started thinking about it, it'd be a lot more work for them to add races to this game than it was for TI3, for example, since each race has unique units which would require entirely new plastic bits to be made up instead of a recolor of previous units...

That's true.  There's also mechanical issues like the fact that every race has unique influence/tactics values.  0/5 and 5/0 are the two most obvious remaining pairs that could be used for new races, after that things would get... interesting.

I think FFG's track record for cranking out expansions, especially in Terrinoth games, still gives it a strong likelihood of there being at least one expansion for Runewars, but it won't be for a while yet.  I was already estimating sometime next year at the earliest, but you make a valid point about needing to make a whole new set of minis for each race they want to include.  The manufacturing time on that might make it two years, I have no idea how long it takes to do that sort of thing.

Then again, Descent expansions do regularly include new figures (AC expansions notwithstanding) and they seemed able to crank those out at about one a year back in the day.  I still have hope for an expansion, but I'm not expecting it anytime soon.  I also have a feeling this game will follow in TI3's footsteps (and Starcraft's and other Corey games, it seems) in that it probably won't get more than one or maybe two expansions, tops.

aziz_a_m said:

AFTER PLAYING THIS GAME I WOULD LIKE TO SEE 10 NEW EXPANSIONS, THATS HOW GOOD THIS GAME IS!

At the moment you already have 2 :)

1) 4 new heroes and a map in Realms of Terrinoth

2) 6 new heroes from DungeonQuest

And if anyone cares, over on BoardGameGeek, I posted a thread with some custom heroes for all the other Descent/Runebound heroes there are (except Mists of Zenaga, I don't have those figures yet).  It's fun playing with 42 heroes in the pool :)

I should clarify that I was asking Corey if we could see dwarves and orcs. Then I asked more about design policy such as how do they decide on what to leave out and such. I asked many questions regarding dwarves and orcs. When we could expect to see them and such. 

Answered most of the questions and concluded with " as far as Runewars the game is complete".

None of this matters though because people like myself and sig are already working on the variants and other armies. You can see a WIP dwarf army board on Board Game Geek. The game is far from dead. Just as I did with WoW Adventure Game...Avidreader and Veet are doing with Arkham Horror...my brother is doing with Grimm players should be encouraged to design and share variants for games they think they can improve or share their passion for. That is the beauty of board games...they are easy to mod.

sigmazero13 said:

And if anyone cares, over on BoardGameGeek, I posted a thread with some custom heroes for all the other Descent/Runebound heroes there are (except Mists of Zenaga, I don't have those figures yet).  It's fun playing with 42 heroes in the pool :)

Thanks for doing this. BTW why do you not have a #1 game? Is this some weird spinal tap (see youtube) logic of moving 2 to replace 1?

Curator said:

sigmazero13 said:

Thanks for doing this. BTW why do you not have a #1 game? Is this some weird spinal tap (see youtube) logic of moving 2 to replace 1?

Strange - It was Twilight Imperium... but somehow it disappeared from my collection in my profile (and thus, from my top 5 list).  I've added it back :)

The weird thing is, it's not possible to do that on purpose - if you try to do a #2 or #3 or whatever game without a #1, it won't let you save it :)

Maybe someone has some news about expansion?  I don't want to wait any minute longer :) 

Seriously: Any idea how we can influence release date and what will be inside?

berto said:

Maybe someone has some news about expansion?  I don't want to wait any minute longer :) 

Seriously: Any idea how we can influence release date and what will be inside?

Rest assured, if you keep an eye on the news page you'll hear about any announcement as soon as we do.

As far "influencing" the release date - which I don't expect will be any time this year, btw, assuming they even have plans to make one yet - I'd rather let them take their time and do it right instead of pressuring them to put out some half-baked crap right now.  Runewars is a very tight game right now.  As much as I'd like to see an expansion, I'd also like that expansion to be as finely tuned as the rest of the game is. =)

Feioo said:

I would appreciate a expansion with the neutral nations like dwarfs and orcs as well as more heroes of runebound/descent or lots of new mape tiles.

In terms of the "heroes", if you are willing to try some fan-created ones, I created hero cards for every Runebound/Descent hero in existence (except for those in Mists of Zenaga) that didn't already ahve one.  There's a link to them over on Boardgamegeek somewhere.  (NOTE: I'm going to be making some slight modifications to a few of them; specifically, Ispher, Brother Glyr, and Zyla.  So you may want to wait a little to print them).