Sign in to follow this  
Argon

Warding Statue

If you are attacked by an Ancient One in another world, and you have the Warding Statue, is the Ancient One's entire attack cancelled, or only one round of it?

One of us was attacked by Ithaqua when Nyarlathotep was the Ancient One.

We played that the entire attack was cancelled, so Ithaqua lost, because the whole fight took place within a single turn. I looked up the rules for "Final Battle", and it said the final battle was divided into "rounds"---not turns. So it seemed clear that only 1 turn was passing during the (non-final) battle, though several rounds of combat.

If you have the Warding Statue during the final Final Battle, would the same apply? Or are the rounds of the final battle also turns, and so only 1 attack by the Ancient One is cancelled?

Thanks

"Cancel one attack" means just that. The Ancient attacks multiple times during final or otherworld combat: its "attack" is specifically listed on its sheet. Besides, assuming that a single item could automatically win battle with an Ancient One is a little bold!

Tibs said:

"Cancel one attack" means just that. The Ancient attacks multiple times during final or otherworld combat: its "attack" is specifically listed on its sheet. Besides, assuming that a single item could automatically win battle with an Ancient One is a little bold!

Bold, yes! That's what some other players thought too. But it's the only way to read what is written on the card-it says "cancel an Ancient One's entire attack for 1 turn." A turn is a specific thing, and the intensifier "entire" (I thought) meant that the effect was intended to be dramatic.

So, you are saying that the last word on the card should have been "round", yes? And the word "entire" is not really needed? I'll change my card to say so.

Cheers

Ordinarily that distinction is not too important: it's the Dark Pharaoh encounter that bends the norm and changes everything. It is odd, after all.

What happens is that you kind of go into a "sub-time" with the investigator who is involved in the battle. S/he and the AO duke it out exactly as though you were performing a final combat (except you don't use Epic Battle cards from Kingsport), which is done over a series of "rounds" or "turns," both words are mostly interchangeable. Since the other investigators are not involved in the combat, they don't experience multiple turns. Therefore, if Mandy Thompson is not in the battle, she can't allow you to use her re-roll ability for each individual battle turn: just for one check (if she hasn't used it yet that is).

Anything I can do to prevent you from marking your cards, I will do!

Warding Statue is worded so that you prevent one attack. For 6 out of the 7 AOs you can battle, the defense checks get more difficult each time they attack: this is dependent on the number of turns that have passed. Note that canceling the AO's attack does not prevent the defense check you would have had to make from getting a -1. Also note that maximum sanity/stamina lost against Cthulhu is permanent!