Sign in to follow this  
guest455987

The return of the AH minis...

I've paid a ton more for unpainted, unassembled figures that these look great at $4. I hope to get them all eventually, but I do have a few favorites that I really want. At this price I imagine FFG got someone to paint them for about $1 apiece. I don't see how they could make it any cheaper.

They look like cheap toys from a fisher-price play set ages 3 and up. I would be embarrassed to use these minis for a board game as classy as arkham horror.

I would consider buying a much cheaper set-pack provided they were unpainted. If i were to paint them myself i would use a much darker color scheme, all these bright colors make them look silly.

IMHO not worth 4$ a piece in their current state. however, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Other FFG games such as Descent are packaged with as many as 80 minis including all heroes and monsters, and although they arent of the highest quality and are unpainted, I would prefer this approach if it meant i didnt have to pay 64$ just to have the 16 core investigator minis and turn my game board into this... www.annastoydepot.com/dollhouse-families-and-people/community-helpers

Back row left to right: Harvey Walters , Amanda Sharpe, Tommy Muldoon, Zoey Samaras(Chef), Carolyn Fern, Vincent Lee

Front row left to right: Luke Robinson (cuz hes wearing yellow), Mandy Thompson , Monterey Jack(sweet mustache lol!), Jim Culver, Rita Young, Wilson Richards

I already posted that I wished they were unpainted and had an overall better appearance but I think why they disappoint me so much is the way they're painted.  I never think of people in those bright colors when reading Lovecraft.  None of the cards make me feel like these characters should look like this.  The initial paintings of the characters are all pretty dark, yet when deciding to color the mini's they seemed to go an entirely different approach. 

And the reason that I wish they were unpainted... I assume that my friend and I, who I play with 90% of the time would actually sit down to paint them together.  We went back to playing board games as a way to 'turn off' everything else.  So it would be awesome to use the game as an extension of that.  Paint the characters as close as we could to the cards and add that dark element they seem to be missing.

Steve-O said:

Maybe a bit lower quality, I don't know about "a lot worse."  Of course, the high price of the original figs was one of the main complaints that caused them to abandon the idea, so obviously FFG has gone looking for a cheaper way to produce them so they can bring the final sale price down.  Cheaper production will necessarily equate to lower quality.

Do you want cheap minis that don't kill your wallet or do you want exquisite craftsmanship that costs a pretty penny?  You can't have it both ways, the world doesn't work like that.  Of course, it sounds like they're still too expensive for your blood, which means that lowering the bar to meet your price point will also lower the quality even further.

Right now I'm thinking I might buy 7 or 8 of these figs to use as pieces on the board.  The cardboard markers are annoyingly easy to mix up during play, I find.  But I don't think I want to shell out for like 40 different figs, so I'll look for my 8 favourites and we'll use substitutes for the ones I don't own.  There's also the issue of fitting everything in the box.  I've managed to pack up all the AH stuff I own in the base box, but it's pretty tight.

I really do think I would be more inclined to pay the $4 or more if they were exquisite... but then there's the problem of numbers. There are so many of them! 
Steve-O, I think you must have more more selfcontrol than I do if you're able to just buy a few of your favs. That would definately be the smart thing to do. But for me, if the qaulity is there I would want all of them.

And as Dave99 (no relation lengua.gif) said these mini's really don't match the quality of the rest of the game.

Dave99 said:

I would be embarrassed to use these minis for a board game as classy as arkham horror.

The minis look better in hand then the pictures on FFG's site. Hopefully when they go on sale there will be larger, more detailed pictures of the minis.

The quality of the minis are generally better than the rares and very rares from WotC's Star Wars and D&D lines - and at a lower price. Quality is also better than the clix games. There aren't any non-random pre-painted minis that look as good for this price. There's no precedent for expecting better quality than this for $4.