Sign in to follow this  
guest455987

The return of the AH minis...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1518

Well, I'm glad they're offering these again. I can't see committing to get all 48... sheesh, I've spent enough as it is on AH. But I'll probably get 15-20 of my favorites. Yeah, the idea is usually to draw randomly from among all 48, but I always use the draw 2 and choose 1 method, and to be honest there are certain characters that I would either never or always choose among those drawn. That should make it easy to choose some favorites, at which point, for some games at least, I would just draw randomly from among those I have the figures for.

This would be something I'd be more likely to buy as an impulse at a store... Eh, I'm already buying a game here, might as well throw in 2 or 3 of the AH minis I don't already have... I'm assuming shipping from FFG is combined, but it would be nice if there were some kind of a discount for buying at least 10 or 20 or more.

Yes, these minis look neat, but I agree I would probably buy the main ones I am interested in myself. Since I always seem to fight the monsters (and they find me) I would pick those kinds of investigators. My wife just strolls around and pick up clues or draw cards and gets clues and stolls thru the outer worlds, no problem and closes gates no problem. I sure this will all change when my expansions orders comes in. (just have base game now).

I guess having some extra minis sitting around the train station or depot might look ok. Would seem like a model train setting.

BTW thanks Grundunza, I watched your videos so much on you tube that is how I learned and what got me interested in Arkham Horror in the first place.

Drakson said:

BTW thanks Grundunza, I watched your videos so much on you tube that is how I learned and what got me interested in Arkham Horror in the first place.

I'm glad they were helpful!

Heh, no wonder I wasn't seeing any posts about the minis in the main forum here... they have their own forum??

Yes a premium price on sets by core game, and expansion, would be logical and also make it easier for those wanting all.

I posted in the announcement as well that there's looks like a mistake with Rita Young, she looks caucasion as a mini but is african american according to her card and backstory.

Rob

valvorik said:

Yes a premium price on sets by core game, and expansion, would be logical and also make it easier for those wanting all.

I posted in the announcement as well that there's looks like a mistake with Rita Young, she looks caucasion as a mini but is african american according to her card and backstory.

Rob

She looks brown to me (light brown but definitely brown) and roughly a match for her investigator picture.

Grudunza said:

valvorik said:

Rob

She looks brown to me (light brown but definitely brown) and roughly a match for her investigator picture.

Ehhh...  Her skin's much darker than the mini.  Take another look at the picture.  Also, I just watched your tutorial video, did you know you're not supposed to put monsters in the stands?  Just leave them flat on the board (less set up and wear and tear on your parts).  (I made that mistake when I first started the game).

valvorik said:

I posted in the announcement as well that there's looks like a mistake with Rita Young, she looks caucasion as a mini but is african american

Okay, so I'm not the only one who thought that. Everybody else told me she was Asian.

Avi_dreader said:

Grudunza said:

valvorik said:

Rob

Ehhh...  Her skin's much darker than the mini.  Take another look at the picture.  Also, I just watched your tutorial video, did you know you're not supposed to put monsters in the stands?  Just leave them flat on the board (less set up and wear and tear on your parts).  (I made that mistake when I first started the game).

She really looks brown enough to me... not exact, but not dissimilar to her investigator sheet picture.

It may not have been the intention to put the monsters in the stands, but I think it should have been.  I don't care about wear and tear on the monsters... you don't see any minimal scoring when they're in the stands, anyway, and it's much easier to move them and see them in the stands.  Also, the stands can be used to count the monster limit.

Grudunza said:

It may not have been the intention to put the monsters in the stands, but I think it should have been.

Which is why I bought a few dozen of the OLD FFG stands when Coltsfan offered to buy thousands of them in bulk and distribute them on his own.  These stands open and close with minimal effort (plastic's a bit more malleable than the ones FFG packaged) and don't leave PERMANENT DIVOTS in my cardboard.  Plus, the old stands have a teeny bit more weight to them.  Sorry, FFG.  Your current stands SUCK.

On topic...well, I already posted in the weird Promotional Sticky Thread FFG Billboard...but I'm glad FFG decided to go ahead with the miniatures.  I will do my part and buy them all eventually.

I was very pleased to see them come back. I was prepared to purchase them the first time around. The price is good and I'll be happy to help support this game and collect some sweet pre-painted minis.

Looks like the first ones will be Akachi, Carolyn Fern, Mike McGlen, Silas Marsh and Sister Mary. The upcoming page didn't have an expected date.

I was told at Gen Con by FF staff (I forget who it was) that these should be available on-line in September or October.

They sold very quickly at Gen Con.  By Friday they had been picked through pretty well.

Does anyone have pictures from GenCon of these? I had a friend that went and said they were terrible.  I've only seen two preview pictures, one looking pretty close the the character and one not so close. 

He's a pretty huge gamer and loves mini's so I was a bit disappointed to hear this but he's also real picky. 

Anyone?

thexmonk said:

They should have left them unpainted and possibly gone with a better sculptor. 

Unpainted = I'm not interested.

It would surprise me if I was the only one thinking that way.

jhaelen said:

You're not.  Lord knows I have enough stuff to paint as it is.  If these were unpainted I wouldn't even consider buying them.  Even as they are, it's not guaranteed that I will buy them, especially if they're limited supply like it sounds - I may not get the chance.  But if they were unpainted there wouldn't even be hope.

As far as sculpts go, maybe I'm just not as picky, but they look fine to me.  Probably not the most detailed minis ever made, but as long as it's on par with stuff like DDM and the Clix games, I'm not complaining.

Steve-O said:

jhaelen said:

You're not.  Lord knows I have enough stuff to paint as it is.  If these were unpainted I wouldn't even consider buying them.  Even as they are, it's not guaranteed that I will buy them, especially if they're limited supply like it sounds - I may not get the chance.  But if they were unpainted there wouldn't even be hope.

As far as sculpts go, maybe I'm just not as picky, but they look fine to me.  Probably not the most detailed minis ever made, but as long as it's on par with stuff like DDM and the Clix games, I'm not complaining.

I agree I don't think these are billed as top-quality collector's items.  They're functional, and they're priced that way, which means you'll get decent-enough sculpting and painting to make the minis stand out on your game board, which is what they're for.  They are replacements for the too-similar-looking-to-one-another-to-easily-distinguish-different-Investigators pieces, intended to help people identify their Investigators on the board, and add a little more "fun" detail to the game.

I think they're an incredibly huge waste of time and money. Why bother with crappy looking miniatures, painted or otherwise, when I already have the cool little cardboard markers? What a stupid idea.

Magic Pink said:

Why bother with crappy looking miniatures, painted or otherwise, when I already have the cool little cardboard markers?

Why bother with crappy looking little cardboard markers when you can get cool looking, painted miniatures?

You're obviously not the target audience, but that doesn't make publishing these minis stupid. They're targeted at the same kind of people who would buy a 'War of the Ring Collector's edition', despite the, imho, insane price point. And, as you may have noticed, those sold out, IIRC.

Besides, since you can get them individually, the minis are of great use for CoC RPG players.

I think the mini's are a great idea. Of course not everyone will want them but I know I would pick them up if they ever decided to make them.
It's a completely optional add-on. Anyone who doesn't like them can skip them and still get the same great experience out of Arkham as those who would have gotten them.

Bring 'em back FFG! :)

Ok, I didn't realize the mini's were officially back.
I just had a look at them and I don't like them at all. Both the detail and paint quality are too poor for $4 each.
I will not be buying these mini's. The art on the cardboard stand-ups is much better.

In all honestly these mini's look they they should be sold in large sets and end up costing about $1 each. Like a 10 pack for $10.

I might have paid $4 if they were much much better.

Is it just me or do these new mini's look a lot worse than the ones that were canceled?

Check out this link. A quick google images search. Doesn't the old man look much much better than the lady in yellow? I know the old man was one of the first pair from the canceled set and the lady in yellow one of the new ones.

I think these are terrible and if even for $1 each I would not buy them because what I already have is much better.

Hein99 said:

Is it just me or do these new mini's look a lot worse than the ones that were canceled?

Maybe a bit lower quality, I don't know about "a lot worse."  Of course, the high price of the original figs was one of the main complaints that caused them to abandon the idea, so obviously FFG has gone looking for a cheaper way to produce them so they can bring the final sale price down.  Cheaper production will necessarily equate to lower quality.

Do you want cheap minis that don't kill your wallet or do you want exquisite craftsmanship that costs a pretty penny?  You can't have it both ways, the world doesn't work like that.  Of course, it sounds like they're still too expensive for your blood, which means that lowering the bar to meet your price point will also lower the quality even further.

Right now I'm thinking I might buy 7 or 8 of these figs to use as pieces on the board.  The cardboard markers are annoyingly easy to mix up during play, I find.  But I don't think I want to shell out for like 40 different figs, so I'll look for my 8 favourites and we'll use substitutes for the ones I don't own.  There's also the issue of fitting everything in the box.  I've managed to pack up all the AH stuff I own in the base box, but it's pretty tight.