Sign in to follow this  
Philip S

Rouge Trader (1987) era Sisters of Battle = Space Marines?

Darq said:

Sister Cat said:

For what it's worth ... here's my take on it.  When the Sororitas was first formed, they were intended to police the Ministorum ... for Heresy, Insurrection, and the same things that led to the whole Age of Apostasty.  I believe this because ... they were (by dint of our current understanding of their exceptional abilities [read: faith abilities]) exceptionally well-suited to ensure that no recurrence of Vandire's tyranny occurred again.  It was only after the fact that the Lords of Terra recognized the potential the Sisters represented ... and attached them to the Ordo Hereticus.  Just my humble opinion.  happy.gif

That said, I don't believe they were ever intended to police the Astartes.  If I am working on faulty information, then I apologize ... as I am relatively new to the 40K universe.  But that is my take, base on my current knowledge.

Sister, this is Old, old, old School being quoted here - 1987. In the original version of the game (Rogue Trader, Warhammer 40,000 - not the RPG), Space Marines were convicts that were enhanced and dropped on the field of battle and the Soritas policed them. This has since substantially changed - like from the first version called just "Warhammer 40,000" on.

I think both statements have been made before in fairly recent times.

Alex

Darq said:

Sister, this is Old, old, old School being quoted here - 1987. In the original version of the game (Rogue Trader, Warhammer 40,000 - not the RPG), Space Marines were convicts that were enhanced and dropped on the field of battle and the Soritas policed them. This has since substantially changed - like from the first version called just "Warhammer 40,000" on.

Ah, I see.  I stand corrected then.  I was wondering where that idea came from, as I've not heard it before.  lengua.gif

ItsUncertainWho said:

There is such a thing as Solid Rocket Fuel. Most, if not all, solid rocket fuel has it's own oxygen built in to the mix so as it burns it oxidizes and becomes an unstoppable reaction that can't be put out until it burns itself out. 

or

The Emperor says it does. gran_risa.gif

As to the movie, adding contrails wold be a huge amount of work, drastically increase the production and rendering time and be a huge drain on the studio to include. That and they probably don't care. 

Um, no.   After the 'Goto Debacle'  GW has ridden anything 40k the non-gaming public would see like a Harley.  It would (supposedly) be exaxt and true to fluff or not see the light of day.  Or would suddenly become fluff.  And, in all honesty, the animation of the marines responding to the recoil and the ejection of brass shells adds more to render times then adding a few dozen cone shaped partical effects.

I assume by 'solid rocket fuel' you're talking about a composite fuel like APCP or ALICE (which adds oxygen in the form of H2O).  The problem there is the size.  We're packing too much stuff into this bullet for it to work.  The more complex an explosive is, the better it's odds of simply blowing up in the barrel or being a dud.

Again you're assuming that they're stuck using current levels of technology just because of some cosmetic similarities between weapons.

That's like declaring the G11 isn't a more advanced and complexed rifle than the M16 just because it does the same thing (IE: shoot bullets at people you don't like). Despite that clearly not being the case.

Blood Pact said:

Again you're assuming that they're stuck using current levels of technology just because of some cosmetic similarities between weapons.

That's like declaring the G11 isn't a more advanced and complexed rifle than the M16 just because it does the same thing (IE: shoot bullets at people you don't like). Despite that clearly not being the case.

The problem is scale.  Chemistry has limits.  Now, I know we can argue that a gram of the super furture explosive unobtainex is fifty times more powerful then the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, but at this point it slides further down the sci-fi hardness scale then pychic powers and the warp put it.

As far as cosmetic similarities in weapons go: most weapons appear similar because they work on similar principles.  (To me, at least, a G11 doesn't look much like an M-16.  The G-11 is a bullpup, the M-16 is not.)  It's like modern pistols.  Most modern pistols look broadly similar because most of them work on similar principles.  (Usually blowback)  So when a grenade or a missile looks like a modern weapon of the same type, it probably works on the same principles.  Form follows function.  And, I'll say again, most 40k weapons seem to be actually less advanced.  For example, they have the chocolate bar on the outside of the grenade.  Most modern frags actually are scored on the inside, if at all.  The reason is that the grenade fragments more effectivly this way. 

The problem with 40k is that it has less sci-fi and more rule of cool.  Sort of like watching a wuxia film, some of it simply can't be done in real life.