Sign in to follow this  
Emirikol

Re-released: Shadow of the Horned rat!

I have very fond memories of this game.  However, I played it on the PC.  Not sure how much it differed from the console version (didn't even know there was a console version).

Funny enough, I put this CD into my Core WFRP3E box as well. There were several audio tracks on it that had a very nice feel to it.

The game was very good as far as I remember, it even made it into the top 10 of a top 100 of best games ever (granted, this is a while ago)

The second release of it was a little less, but still fun.

Unfortunately, again on the PC here, never tried it on a console.

Dudes,

So the Shadow of the Horned Rat was first released on the PC and shortly afterwards had a modified version released on the Playstation. The PC version was by far the superior version with better graphics and controls but the Playstation version still did it justice. As i recall the game was quite unforgiving (in the good way) and required a good long term play strategy because as units died, you had to replace them between missions with the money you earned. Managing the income and expenses of your mercenary band was a key element because it was quite possible you would get near the end of the game and not have an army large enough or powerful enough to survive. But, either way, this is a large part of the charm.

Following Shadow of the Horned Rat was Dark Omen which i LOVED! It was also first released on the PC with a follow-up on Playstation (or possibly PS2). These two versions were identical and operated in a very similar style to the first game with a much sleeker interface and boosted graphics engine.

Both these games while a bit dated now hold a special place in my gaming library as they are the most true to life Warhammer games out there and are a blast.

If you want something a bit more modern, Warhammer: Mark of Chaos for the PC and XBox 360 is quite good. I've only played the PC version but i enjoyed it thoroughly. There is an expansion pack which adds two armies to it as well. The multiplayer is quite flawed but the single player campaign is well worth a play for any Warhammer fan.

Game on,

Gitzman