Sign in to follow this  
HearMeRoar

Question on leadership cards

Such an awesome game, but we ran into a small dispute when dealing with Order cards that read along the lines of "order 3 units" and such.  If a commander only has 1 unit near him, or no units near him...he is still able to use these cards...and affect up to 3 units (in this case, 1 or 2 units)?  Or is the the card only useable when there are exactly 3 units to affect?  Thanks for any help...it seems so basic but just wanted some clarification on it.

We've been playing "Up to" as well.  And even if the answer is that you can only play them when you have the required number of troops to command, I will likely continue to play it "Up to".  Largely because that would make the game incredibly restrictive, especially late game where you've lost most of your troops.  The freedom it offers you in the order cards and command tokens is one of the reasons I really enjoy this game, and I'd hate to lose that.

I agree that 'up to' is the most logical use.  As was noted, in the end game it would be too restrictive to have to order full number, and many cards would become redundant.  Cheers!

Sounds good..but I have to wonder then about the cards that say "order leader and adjacent units" or just "order two adjacent units"  and even the ones where it says to "order two units, one gets +1 die, other +1 movement"  it seems that those atleast would be restricted to the exact wording on the cards...but then if the first cards in question are the "order (up to) 3 units"...I'm not so sure what makes it different.  We've tried the game both ways...and they are both enjoyable...although obviously more difficult and restrictive if you have to follow the cards exactly by the printed orders.  anyway glad to hear some opinons on the matter.

HearMeRoar said:

Sounds good..but I have to wonder then about the cards that say "order leader and adjacent units" or just "order two adjacent units"  and even the ones where it says to "order two units, one gets +1 die, other +1 movement"  it seems that those atleast would be restricted to the exact wording on the cards...but then if the first cards in question are the "order (up to) 3 units"...I'm not so sure what makes it different.  We've tried the game both ways...and they are both enjoyable...although obviously more difficult and restrictive if you have to follow the cards exactly by the printed orders.  anyway glad to hear some opinons on the matter.

Would really love a clarification on this from Robb or someone else since it pretty much makes it 2 different games depending on how you play it. Which cards are up to and which are not?

We made all cards say up to, even the order 2 adjacent units and order 2 units with +1 atk and +1mov where we could choose which bonus we wanted if we ordered 1 unit. But some cards feel just wrong that way while the order 3 units card is rpetty much useless lategame instead of being good always.

The more I think about it, it really is still balanced completing as much of an order card as the situation allows.  Because you are still using precious command points on a commander who only has so many, as well as giving up advantage.  If your best command only allows you to order 1 unit because of whatever restrictions, you are already getting screwed enough.  I see no need to take a player who is already in that bad of a situation, and saying to them "No, you can't even do that.  Now just sit still while I continue to beat you down."

From the rulebook: "a Leadership card can potentially order several units." 

It's not clear wording, but it sounds much more like "up to" than "exactly".

Guess it certainly can be viewed different ways....I really hope we get an official ruling though.   My group has actually had more fun with making the cards restrictive...makes it very important to hold onto the right card each turn and when to use the right token.