Sign in to follow this  
Maggoth

Warp Gates

Some older 40k sourcebooks mention warp gates as areas in the void, which grant entrance to the warp an often lead to strange places in the warp or void.

As far as I know warp gates aren´t mentioned in the RT book because most ships use a warp drive to enter the warp - so I don´t know if warp gates are still "canon" (I for myself don´t care very much).

I think warp gates offer fantastic opportunites for adventures in a RT campaign. Especially if the explorers disover a lost warp gate and nobody knows where it leads to.

One could even think about an ancient ciphered text which supposedly contains information about how to open a collapsed warp gate. The text might describe it as a warp route to endless fortunes - but in realitiy it´s the instruction to open a warp gate to some demon world... and as soon as it is opend demons and chaos ships pour into reality...do the explorers put enough research effort in this endeavour to realize the truth or are they blinded by greed and become (unwilling) helpers for the dark powers..

Sounds like a great idea - so go for it! As long as your players are willing to skirt damnation and you are able to create that 'profit vs sharp pointy stuff coming to eat our brains' tension the sessions should be real nailbiters.

ExtremoPenguin said:

It is in the book, pages 312-313. There is 3 paragraphs on them. Easy to miss though as it is in the section on the Imperium.

Thanks! I´ll take a look....

Hmmm, I think in the third Blood Angels novel, Fabius Bile summons a warp gate in order to escape from Baal and in the Bloodquest graphic novel, the Daemon summons a large warp portal to take his vessel straight to the Eye of Terror. So they come in all sizes, from personal 'doors' to humongous gates that allow for entire spaceships to travel through. So I think you could be quite liberal in using them in your campaigns. Seem like the perfect excusable Deus Ex Machine to keep your main antagonists alive a bit longer... :)