Sign in to follow this  
RenoDM

Just Curious...

Massachusetts, USA

Table top : necromunda, Battle fleet gothic, 40k

Role-playing since: 96

hates: white sneakers

favorite breakfest food:  red white an blue waffles - waffles with strawberries, blue berries whip cream 

Started Gaming with Star Fleet Battles around age 12  then got introduced to RP about a year later in AD&D.  Got into 40K in '95 while at my first unit in the army.

Age 35

Location England, Essex

Been roleplaying for the last 20 years started Warhammer 40K TT when i was about 14 and gave it up as it was too expensive when i was about 18 and love most roleplaying systems.

Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, D&D 3 & 3.5 cant stand 4.0, lots of other rifts, WFRP, shadowrun etc

Also have read most of the 40K novels over the years as well.

Can't wait for the Death Watch system so i can run a combination of all 3 systems.

Games workshop have tradtionally seen a larger European playerbase than US, though not by much. However the issue lies in FFG being US based, and despite their sales reps claiming "that the company has more overseas employees than inside the US" they only have a handful per country, meaning that distribution is lax outside of the US.

Another issue is that here in the England at least, there are very few FLGS where i live, to the point where me and my university RPG society buddies are forced to shop online for any FFG products and to compound the matter GW refuse to stock FFG merchandise. This last point is a particular kick in the nuts as i can clearly see from the lovely photos of the FFG convention centre that they stock GW merchandise there.

I'd say that ultimately it balances out to a roughly equal worldwide playerbase, though far larger in English speaking countries obviously.

Kasatka said:

Another issue is that here in the England at least, there are very few FLGS where i live, to the point where me and my university RPG society buddies are forced to shop online for any FFG products and to compound the matter GW refuse to stock FFG merchandise. This last point is a particular kick in the nuts as i can clearly see from the lovely photos of the FFG convention centre that they stock GW merchandise there.

That's not just a European/England issue... that is just a Depends Where You Are. Heck, I live in a rather large city (as ghettoriffic as it is) and there are no FLGS' anywhere near me or in this city at all as far as I know. The closest is approximately a 30-45 minute drive which is a hard drive to make if you don't have a car ;-). On the up-side, I just heard that one will be opening up a bit closer. On the down-side, it still won't be in New Orleans proper and about 50 blocks from the furthest reach of the buses... a bit too far to walk more then once perhaps. There are many others in the same boat you're in, a general sign of the effect internet commerce has had on local shops I guess.

I'm from Ireland. I've been playing tabletop RPGs most years since I set foot in college (I'm now 28) but I had been messing around with the Cyberpunk 2020 book before that. First campaigns I was in were AD&D and CP2020. I've been GMing DH and RT on and off for the last few years, only recently gotten to play in a campaign for the latter. My next campaign will either be DH: Ascension or Deathwatch.

Age: 54 (I win!) Started role playing with White Box D&D in '76.

Lake Oswego (near Portland), Oregon

There are a few FLGS in the Portland area. My favorite is Guardian Games: http://guardiangamesportland.com/

Never played 40k TT, love (and write) SF, love the insane grim darkness but can't stand cannon-lawyers. My games have a lot of dark humor, and attract players who enjoy that.

Came to DH after GMing two campaigns of WFRP 2.0, now GMing RT. I think of all three as one big game, and mix and match between DH and RT. And soon, DW.

My claim to infamy on the DW forums is I started the "RPG w/ no female characters" thread. I am so sorry.

Started with Roleplaying Games: 1999

Started with Warhammer & 40k: 2008, currently GM of a RT campaign with six players

Interested in: BL books, and FFG´s  WH40k role-playing books (kind of obvious)

Nojo509 said:

My claim to infamy on the DW forums is I started the "RPG w/ no female characters" thread. I am so sorry.

I don't blaim you, i blaim all the people like me who turned it into a circus

Aged 34 (35 next week!!!  llorando.gif ), East Yorkshire, England (UK)

Bought Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set from Toys R Us in '89 years ago thinking it was a board game sonrojado.gif . Then picked up the Dungeons & Dragons Encyclopedia in '92 and I've been collecting RPG rules systems ever since! Played and own so many I've lost count (on my never ending search for my 'perfect rules system').

Bought my first copy of White Dwarf magazine in '91 expecting it to be a computer games mag sonrojado.gif and got into GW from there. Owned Undead and Choas armies for Fantasy Battle, Space Wolf, Tyranid and Eldar armies for 40k Second Edition, along with Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, Necromunda, Mordheim (loved that game!), and Inquisitor.

Gave up on the GW hobby around 10 years ago due to two of my primary opponents on all the above mentioned games becoming unavailable. One moved to Sheffied, the other passed away...     Still I bought Lord of the Rings miniatures game but to this day I've never played it due to lack of opponents lengua.gif

Always loved everything 40k and was gutted when I didn't manage to get a copy of Space Hulk when they re-released it a little while back.

Excitedly waiting for Space Marine to come out on the PS3, Dark Millennium MMO to come out on the PC, and the Ultramarines Movie to come out....  on my...     erm....     TV (!?).

Been waiting for a GW-based RPG for almost 20 years so it's about bloody time someone got their finger out and provided! gran_risa.gif

I've loved what we've been given so far and thus I'm totally pulling my hair out waiting for the Deathwatch release!! So release the **** game already!!! gui%C3%B1o.gif 

34 years (effing horrible, but fortunately I feel like I'm 20, and 13 when I'm writing adventures for my group), from Helsinki, Finland.

I've been playing RPGs since 1987. Begun with the good old red D&D, switched to some appalling homebrews after that, and then started using MERP and Rolemaster. After surviving them, played 'Punk 2.0.2.0. and CORPS for five or six years. A smattering of systems since then - my interest seems to hold for about year or two per game these days. Never got interested in WH40K, though several of my friends played it for years in the late 80's - early 90's.

We started our Dark Heresy campaign last August, before that we played modern horror/monster hunt game called Code:Black, using EABA as the system. This was an elegant piece of work, a very workable generic system. However, Dark Heresy won our hearts by being so blatantly gamist, with completely artificial class-based system and rules that said that characters cannot fire two weapons at once unless they have a suitable Talent. Not to mention it uses a %-based skill system. Plus the gameworld's crazy mashup of Spanish inquisition, "magical" technology and cyberpunkish dystopia is seriously appealing.

Waiting for Deathwatch with keen interest - our Acolytes will have some serious firepower to call upon when excrement hits the airflow adjuster.

City/State: Tempe, Arizona
Region/Country: Southwestern U.S.A.

I am 33 years of age.  The first game I was introduced to was Chainmail, at age 5.  Moved on to ElfQuest and the D&D red box at about 8.  From there went to AD&D and numerous other games.  I still have a particular fondness for the old WEG d6 Star Wars.

I've followed the storyline and setting material for 40K avidly almost from its inception, though have never really played the miniatures game.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Sandepande said:

34 years (effing horrible, but fortunately I feel like I'm 20, and 13 when I'm writing adventures for my group), from Helsinki, Finland.

If it means anything, as someone whose wife is younger than them I live by the phrase: "You're only as old as the person you feel." gran_risa.gif

Well, in a non-disturbing kind of way anyway. 

Kage

Interesting to observe that the average age is higher then I expected. Not that that is a bad thing, mind you - it prevents most troll-fests.

20 years old, from San Antonio, Texas. U.S.

Hadn't played a WH40k RPG before, though I have a Tyranid and small Tau army for table top. I had always been pretty intimidated by the idea of the 40k RPGs because I knew that out of the people I knew, I would have to be the one to run it, but when Deathwatch came out, I realized I had no choice but to dive right in. Been having fun ever since!

29 years young.  Enjoy tinkering with my DSLR, and computer games.  Started playing D&D since I was 17 (3rd Ed), went onto 3.5.  Was also into Battletech, but gave that up. Am an Asian and I'm really proud of my heritage.

Was infected with 40k by my two gaming friends and long time school mates Smoking Bear and DeadGhoul (who's my current DM for DW).  My first model was a librarian, I always loved the psykers.  And I'm playing a DW Librarian (See the connection?  No?)

Since then I have been collecting.  My two gaming guys and I have been trying to get our armies up but for some reason we never get to even start painting / assembly.

Have collected 2 Landraiders, 2 Predators, 2 Drop Pods, 1 Vindicator, 2 Rhinos/ Razorbacks, 5 tactical squads, 4 librarians, 5 chaplains (I don't know how I bought them cos I seem to have no recollection), 2 full terminator squads, 1 full scout squad, 1 land speeder storm, 2 assault squads, 5 devastators.  So far I only finished 2 tact squads and a librarian with a Force Axe.  We've been at it since 4th Ed and its halfway through 5th ed.  Sad....

I love the Ultramarines and I recently graduated from elementary marines to Salamanders and Raven Guard.  Have been borrowing and following the fluff (as my two friends do buy the novels, I read for free).  Graham McNeill recently stopped by Singapore (yes that's where I live) and signed my copy of the Chapter's Due.

Recently completed Space Marine and have unlocked half of the weapon challenges.  So yeah, that's my life in a nutshell.  For Courage, Honour, Glory and the Ultramarine way!

I am 31 years old and from Antwerp, Belgium. I am a business consultant in my real life happy.gif

I started with Warhammer 40.000 second edition when I was 14. My first army was a Space Wolf army. After that I started a Scythes of the Emperor space marine army. I got into Warhammer Fantasy Battle at age 17 with a Brettonian army. Due to lack of players amongst my friends (I played against my brother and two friends mostly) I lost interest in the tabletop gaming at age 20. I still would like it very much to paint and assemble the minis, because I thought I was rather good at it. My wife is pushing me in the same direction, so perhaps I will pick up a few minis in the nearby future...

I still followed the new products that Games Workshop and Forgeworld produced after I left the hobby. Later on I discovered nice things on the internet like the Lexicanum and the Bolter and Chainsword forums. When the Horus Heresy novella's came out, I started reading those and got hooked again. I have been brooding for years to introduce my friends into role-playing games and when Deathwatch came out, I finally decided to do it. Now I am running Deathwatch campaigns for a group of five players (who all have never played RPGs before!)

I'm 34, originally from Copenhagen, but I live in Amsterdam (just moved here) and have spent a lot of time in London, Paris and Berlin.

I started playing role-playing games in 88 or 89 with the D&D red box and by 92(ish?) had moved on to WFRP v1 and ICC's LotR, Castel Falkenstein, WoD, Exalted, Star Wars D6 and Cyberpunk 2020. 

Then got out of the hobby for a few years until 3.5 lured me back in, played that for a few years and then discovered a german game called Engel which sadly went the way of the Dodo (FFG pick up this title please), WFRP v2 and Star Wars D20.

Picked up Dark Heresy pretty much on the day it came out and was massively distraught when BI closed down, was hoping for Green Ronin to pick it up and was actually one of the "FFG are going to **** this up" crowd on the original BI forums, glad that I was proven wrong. 

There has been a ton of good idea since, but the execution has been lacking something in my opinion. That said I love Death Watch for all its silly glorious fun and how you can use portraying transhumance super soldiers exploring very human and humanist themes.

I also love the new version of WFRP for some strange reason considering how much of a grognard I can be.

I'm also looking for an English speaking group here in Amsterdam if anyone is interested.