Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mack Martin

New Dark Heresy Designer Diary: The New Knowledge... New Power

59 posts in this topic

N0-1_H3r3 said:

And even in situations where you've failed, often the only consequence is simply not succeeding, wasting the time spent attempting the test, but not precluding any further attempts (time permitting) or causing any other adverse affects.

Bearing these notions in mind - and they apply quite broadly to RPGs in general - can often alleviate feelings of character incompetence. Failing a test to pick a lock might not mean that the lock can't be picked, merely that it can't be done in the space of time represented by a single attempt... it might take two or three distinct attempts in game terms, while in narrative terms, it's simply taken longer than expected.

This is one thing I see plenty of gms handle perfectly fine during combat, but once combat is over they forget about it.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Actually, the 40kRP system only actually requires tests on tasks where failure is costly or significant to the narrative - in most cases, the GM is encouraged to simply let the character pass.

I wasn't implying otherwise. Maybe I should have add "when appropriate" to my initial sentence. Asking the players to test Ag for their character to pick up a glass of wine on the table would be ludicrous, of course (even if I fail routinely at similarly easy agility challenges...).

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Kyorou said:

Bearing these notions in mind - and they apply quite broadly to RPGs in general - can often alleviate feelings of character incompetence. Failing a test to pick a lock might not mean that the lock can't be picked, merely that it can't be done in the space of time represented by a single attempt... it might take two or three distinct attempts in game terms, while in narrative terms, it's simply taken longer than expected.

I figure that only a significant failure (3 or 5+ DoF) should mean that something can't be tried again. A lesser failure just means that the characters needs to try again or keep working on it and can take another roll. Of course then time becomes an issue, as you said.

Just a quick update for all of us who can't wait to hear more on the new Dark Heresy releases: our good old friend, Amazon.com has November 30 as the release date for "Blood of Martyrs". As we speculated earlier it will be a 144-page book of pure(itan) awesomeness. cool.gif

csabesz said:

Just a quick update for all of us who can't wait to hear more on the new Dark Heresy releases: our good old friend, Amazon.com has November 30 as the release date for "Blood of Martyrs". As we speculated earlier it will be a 144-page book of pure(itan) awesomeness. cool.gif

So that means Amazon will be getting it to us on Dec 15th or so given the normal state of things. It susually worth the wait for the price break we get.

For those who where wondering about psykers getting some love, the Daemon Hunter book sounds to me like it will hold a fair bit for our warp fueled acolytes.

I just really, really hope that the Daemon Hunters books will have Deathwatch Compatible rules for Grey Knights instead of just Dark Heresy square peg round hole sorts of stats.  Starting Template(s?) and all.  In essence almost a dual stat.

Sure they're completely different sorts of beasts, but the Space Marine rules are already there in Deathwatch, just add the Grey Knight specifics.

hey say they will have grey knight rule how they work i havn`t a clue yet

personaly would like too see how that would work. not sure i would ever what too play a grey knight game. then too be fair i`m having a hard time play 'norma' DW so uping DW too GK will make the over killing we are doing now seem like small scale i think! personaly more intresting in the lower class alternet classes

been reading deamon hunter for a bit now. intresting consepts and clue`s for future games

not sure how much if any of it i could get too use but the alternet ranks look intresting and the background / lore is worth the read

havn`t had the time too read but in passing the grey knight bit didn`t look that inpressive. but then the SM thing isnt realy my thing but my players seem too like it for now

now its waiting for the BOJ thats bound too have some intresting hooks too i bet