Sign in to follow this  
Ni Fang

Rogue Terader & Stargate

Hi all, new to the forums. Yet not new to Rogue Trader or Stargate. A few friends of mine had devloped a Round Robin type of story based on both universes. I was curious if there are rules within RT that prevent such actions? Since it is a round robin type of game that is played online (right now myself and one other have both DH and RT core rule books, and I only have the SG1 rulebook from Alderac Entertainment) I was wondering mostly of limits to things, such as

Characters, just how far is too far?

Technology, what is the norm for the Warhammer universe compaired to the modernday world (for example vox comm systems and computers of the modern world?) what cabn be added, removed, etc.

Lastly ships, just how big is too big exactly? mostly confused really of a ship's overall size.

Also are there any weblink ready maps to be linked to of the Kronus Expanse, and also the galaxy as a whole perhap?

thanks all.
Fang

Are there any rules to prevent such actions? Um, well the DM can do whatever he/she wants, so no. Your free to introduce new tech/species/universes at will. Really the rules system would work for just about any setting.

Characters, just how far is too far? That sentence...needs to be clarified. What do you mean "too far"? Too powerful? Most RT characters are easily more powerful than anyone but some of the Goa'uld in stargate, so you're going to have balance issues. Dark Heresy characters would match up well. Throw a Space Marine in there and there is no contest.

Technology: Well weapon systems are just rediculous compared to...well anything modern. Most weapons in Stargate are going to be 'stubber' equivalent. One you bring in Plasma and Bolt weapons though...you are just in another world. Your bolter for instance is a fully automatic, armor piercing rocket propelled grenade launcher standard. Start throwing in special ammunition and, well... Plasma guns shoot miniature suns. Computer systems are both much more advanced and less used. AI is totally illegal. They prefer to use a lobotomized human or animal brain whenever they need an AI, or just replace pieces of their own brain with computers.

Ships: what do you mean by too big? Warhammer ships are anywhere from 1-10km long, so the largest Warhammer ships are pushing 5 miles long with over 100,000 crew onboard. They fire shells the size of skyscrapers and beam weapons that can crack continental crusts. They engage each other from tens of thousands of kilometers away. StarGate ships...just no.

There is a map of the koronos expanse and the imperium in the Rogue Trader book. You can also find a map of the Koronos Expanse on the Rogue Trader page on this website. There are Numerous maps of the Imperium online.

However, StarGates are something the Imperium doesn't have an answer for. They have teleporters, but they don't work at those ranges.

This...is going to be a bit difficult. Warhammer doesn't mix well with most other sci-fi genres because it is to monsterously overpowered compared to almost everything else out there. 

riplikash said:

Technology: Well weapon systems are just rediculous compared to...well anything modern. Most weapons in Stargate are going to be 'stubber' equivalent. One you bring in Plasma and Bolt weapons though...you are just in another world. Your bolter for instance is a fully automatic, armor piercing rocket propelled grenade launcher standard. Start throwing in special ammunition and, well... Plasma guns shoot miniature suns. Computer systems are both much more advanced and less used. AI is totally illegal. They prefer to use a lobotomized human or animal brain whenever they need an AI, or just replace pieces of their own brain with computers.

Ships: what do you mean by too big? Warhammer ships are anywhere from 1-10km long, so the largest Warhammer ships are pushing 5 miles long with over 100,000 crew onboard. They fire shells the size of skyscrapers and beam weapons that can crack continental crusts. They engage each other from tens of thousands of kilometers away. StarGate ships...just no.

This...is going to be a bit difficult. Warhammer doesn't mix well with most other sci-fi genres because it is to monsterously overpowered compared to almost everything else out there. 

Or to take another view... not easy but do-able.

I did some conversions for DH/RT weapons for another game system and it turned up some interesting results - an Astartes bolter: a true monster of a gun that can do enough damage to kill 3 three normal men; but a Lasgun blast has "only" the damage of an M16. So a Gouald staff weapon might give even a power armoured foe a nasty shock (works out at about 2/3 the damage of a bolter with equal armour piercing); and a Zat can disintegrate with 3 shots! And there are a lot more Jaffa than there are Space Marines...

Ships - well, the W40K ones are bigger, better armoured and shielded but slower; the Stargate ships will have the advantage of manoeuvrability (being small can be good) and they are much, much faster in hyperspace; no 40K ship can make an intergalactic journey while the humans, Ancients, Replicators, Asgard and Wraith have all done it in SG1.

Computers - 40K is a real mish-mash here; some worlds will have very advanced systems, others (maybe even in the same system) will be just glorified Babbage engines. Of course if your SG1 players have access to Asgard technology then they may even have an edge.

In short you must decide what your version of the W40K universe is going to be like - massively uber in everything or a decaying corpse with a few vestiges of its former glory hanging on in the darkness, or something in between; then match your SG1 players to it.

Good luck!!

DW

The hand weapons of Stargate are similar in scale to RT weapons. Maybe not the top tier RT weapons but the rest can be matched. Ships are on a completely different scale though. Consider that most human ships have a crew of around 200 while even RT raiders have 20K+ crew. Small RT ships may match up with the largest Stargate ships. Perhaps Ori motherships would be a bit smaller than raiders and may match up. Somethings from Stargate, such as replicators, could provide a challenge to any party.

A have returned! and with words of thanks to all of you eho took the time to reply to my questions, I took your advice, all of it fronm everyone of you guys to heart and did some work, then all but tossed my players into the mixing bowl and then let them slog it out.

It worked wonders, the technology worked good, the ships, still had some troubles and disputes between players over size and crew numbers. But things still worked out great.

The replicators were a good thing to add to the mix. It was actually fun. though many of the ork craft didn't surviove if at all, poor things. All in all, it is a very fun game and every one of my players want to continue, And i'm stuck,

What exactly makes a good villian, or bad guy in RT? Is it too much of a good thing, wanting more of something, ewhat exactly shapes a RT villian?

Thanks again guys! you've really helped me out of a tough spot.

With RT, villains are those who stand between you and profit. Or old rivals.

In the W40K universe however, anything Xenos is a good villain. Any advanced human civilisation with heretical ideas (they don't belief in the God Emperor) makes a good villain. Those who commit Heresy and follow the ruins powers make a good villain. The Empire of Humanity basically hates everything that is not human and does not follow the God Emperor.

Meaning that Goa'lds make excellent enemies, as do the Wraith or the Ori. A good idea of a campaign could be to try to stop any of these powers from gaining much of a foothold in the sector. Failing that, a crusade is needed to exterminate them. Huge fleets, weapons that can destroy contaminated planets and armies numbering in the millions. If there is one thing the Empire of Man had. It is manpower. With millions of world to recruit from they have essential limitless numbers to throw at the enemy.

The best villain or enemy is the one who was once a friend. And the best friend is one that was once an enemy or villain.

Stargate and RT? What would be the reason to combine those two settings? This reminds me of a long-time player I had who no matter what the game was or setting, he just had to have a special weapon called "demon- X". His character was always the same, just a jerk who was basically the weapon bearer since all he did was answer ever issue with violence. I can't believe I tolerated his play as long as I did, since all the other players hated him and he was useless. Since his leaving, my games are always run as close to canon as possible, with no deviation for those who want to play a Farscape of Stargate character in a setting which is completely unrelated.

Stargate is based on humans with our level of technology plus a tiny bit of alien tech. They build tiny ships and muppet around the universe causing trouble and despite accumulating vast numbers of alien nick-nacks utterly failing to improve life on Earth. It's set now or 10-20 years in our future.

Warhammer 40,000 is set a little bit further from now than that... humans have conquered the galaxy with their amazing technology, created a race of AI's that warred against them, fallen into disarray and become luddites, been reunited by the Emperor in a grand crusade to bring together all human colonies, had a massive civil war which almost destroyed the Imperium of Man and left all that 10,000 years behind them, regressing technologically and philosophically to become everything the Emperor was struggling against.

Weapons in WH40K are completely different to Stargate weapons. A stubber is equivalent to an assault rifle but a bolter isn't, a lasgun would be amazing to us, plasma and meltas are incredible. Despite their regression to older tech the humans of 40 K are still our technological superiors in every way (except the belief in the machine spirit and the lack of originality/imagination).

I just can't see how or why you could mix the universe - the humans are pretty key to either and earth is completely different in both - thankfully 'cause Stargate is pretty dull compare to 40 K.