Sign in to follow this  
ExtremoPenguin

How does Medicae work?

The description for the Special Use: First Aid does not mention any sort of limit on Medicae tests. Can you keep using it until the character is fully healed? Can you use it ounce per day on a character? Can you only use it once per injury? I (and my group, I'm the GM) aren't fans of how slowly people heal so I may house rule this a bit differently, but I would like know how it is supposed to work.

You can use it once per set of wounds, so basicaly, you can use it once per combat. Or at least thats how it works in DH, which is what i've been running lately. I'd quote book,  but i don't have one around.

ExtremoPenguin said:

I (and my group, I'm the GM) aren't fans of how slowly people heal so I may house rule this a bit differently, but I would like know how it is supposed to work.

I would be careful about messing with the healing rules. I know it can be tempting to remove consequences and get your players back up to full power, but contrary to what most players think a lot of the fun of RPGs comes from doing awesome things in difficult circumstances, not easy ones. In removing the consequences of being wounded you are just robbing your players, not helping them. There will be no desperate battles while nursing broken arms, no tough choices on weather or not they should jump out a third floor window because they might break a leg, no vacations on paradise worlds with hidden cults, and no hard decisions where a wounded player can't keep up and heroically sacrifices his life in a holding action so that his comrades can escape.

This is something D&D did WRONG! Interesting and dangerous scenarios are a good thing. Having to deal with long term consequences adds drama and flavor.  Removing them leads to a shallower experience.

Besides, the players have weeks of downtime during warp travel, it isn't going to hurt things as much as you fear.

I tend to hand-wave healing during Warp Jumps, as a month long trips are the norm (1 week to jump point, 2 week jump, 1 week back to somewhere interesting).  And with a full medbay onboard, it's not unreasonable that almost any wound could be at least dealt with.  Even the reattachment of limbs, or cybernetic limbs.

As for in the field, I'd stick with the Medicae once per injury.