Sign in to follow this  
Doc, the Weasel

Itching for a new product announcement

commoner said:

Honestly, I'd rather see bestiaries printed like they did in Winds of Magic.  I love how they threw them in.  It was a fantastic surprise.  Also, instead of creating generic monsters, this created specific monsters, with specific flavor, tailored to the expansion.  It also gave them a way better treatment than a stand-alone expansion full of hundreds of monsters could ever do.  The Mark, the monsters, the magic cards, all really expanded them fantastically and I think all the monsters would suffer a little  if they tried to cram them all in one box.  Just my two cents.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I do like that the NPCs in WoM were customized and made to fit perfectly for that expansion and its content.  But if they went with a different format for NPCs, say a card in similar size to a party or nemesis card, plus perhaps some supporting action cards, they could still release NPCs with new expansions and customize them to fit the content better. 

I think there is plenty of demand to release a general bestiary with basic NPCs to serve as a core.  Then as new modules and expansions come out, more specific NPCs could be released to better match the content and incorporate new mechanics, etc.

I like your idea of having targeted sets of related monsters released though.  A skaven box that really delves into the skaven lore while providing a lot of skaven NPC options would be really neat, then a greenskin box, then a khorne box, etc.

I should add, my main issue with the current presentation of NPCs is just that it's not modular enough.  If I want to mix NPCs from multiple books, well, I've got multiple books open at once.  And what if I want to use NPCs that are on different pages of the same book?  It's just not terribly convenient right now.

It's starting to look like the next expansion is going to be a Dwarf expansion from the current demo adventure.  I'm guessing it will center more around the history of the dwarfs, their keeps and maybe include more info, NPC's, etc. on the Greenskins.  Of coarse this is only a guess on my part.

I would really like to see more for the Elves as they seem to be the most lacking of the player races, especially the Wood Elves.  But any new content is good content.

I also like the adventures.  Even if I do not use them or have my players play the campaign there is enough extra content be it item cards, places, NPC's, Monsters or even area background to justify the purchase itself.

Jeffeoff I too like the idea of having NPC/Monster cards but I've found that because most of the important information, aside from actions, is on one line it is easy enought to right down all the stats or put it into a spreadsheet for quick referrence.  And even copying down the actions isn't too hard of a book keeping task.   All and all FFG seems to have made it easier to keep track of NPC/Monsters compared to a lot of systems albiet it's not what most would consider perfect.

LOL.  So much for my guess.  But it is a welcome supplement and adding another of the Chaos gods to the mix will be great. happy.gif

Now how about the Dwarf/Greenskin, High Elf/Dark Elves and Wood Elves/? expansions?

I'm pleased with the product announcement. I must say though, I'm starting to tire of the Chaos-based adventures a bit... I'd love to see some of the other enemy types expanded. Undead expansion, perhaps?

Awesome.  Love that cover.  I guess whoever said they wanted Disease rules will be happy.  I know I am.  I wonder how we're going to get Khorne and Slaanesh now?  Included in some other juicy releases?

I guess this means that Khorne will come with a set on Marital Careers (Knights and what not) and Slaanesh  with a set on Social Careers (Innkeeper?).

If they continue that idea with race sets: Dwarf + Greenskins and Elfs + Dark Elfs. Is there a region of the Empire that has more undead? Perhaps a book on a new part of the empire and info on the Undead.

I am excitted buy this book. How many products are FFG aiming for next year?

Well, Sylvania is filled with undead of the Vampire Count variety. You'd have to go south into the far reaches of the Border Princes and eventually into the Land of the Dead (Nekehara) before you ran into the Tomb Kings.

A Border Princes supplement with Tomb Kings in it would be nice; it could also include a lot of Greenskin rules.

It seems like they're shying away from introducing supplements with locations in it so far, but eventually I hope to get a book similar to Heirs of Sigmar of Realms of the Ice Queen for each location.

Seeing as how Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader have both recently received roadmap announcements, I wonder if we'll be seeing something similar for WFRP anytime soon?