Sign in to follow this  
Doc, the Weasel

Itching for a new product announcement

I thought the final announcement (of the ones in Sifting through the shadows) was the Edge of Night adventure?

But otherwise I agree, it would be nice to know what is in store for the autumn/winter. 

Agreed.  Me, my players (and the second group we've spawned) are perplexed as to why there isn't news of anything on the horizon.  There's a lot of ground to cover, but it seems as if FFG is not exactly sure what to do next.  Or are they waiting for GenCon to make an official announcement?

RT and DH are in the same boat as far as future releases. Only one product on the docket between the two games "Into the Storm". FFG really likes the word storm by the way. THey have products named "The Gathering Storm", "Into the Storm", and a Marine chapter named the "Storm Wardens."

The Sci-Fi RPG crew have stated many things are in the works, but they can't talk about them now. I think the silence is to generate suspense, but frankly I think the message they're sending is we have no idea what we're doing next.

I'm not stating that's true, but that's what I'm seeing.

Also, FFG is looking to hire an assistant game developer that is supposed to be working directly with WFRP3. Maybe they're looking for  a fresh source of ideas on where to go next.

At the Journey to Blackfire Pass event announcement, there's the following bone:

"JtBP, apart from being a great entry-level adventure, is also a preview of an upcoming WFRP release, coming out later this year".

It seems this adventure is heavily centered on dwarfs, and it introduces a new dwarf career, the Miner.

I'd love that, a dwarf box would make sense as the first of the non human box sets. Total wishlist thinking, but I have an awesome dwarf in my party, complete with loud laughter, angry manners and the works, some times archetypes just work.

An Empire box would be good too, please FFG soon, basic careers like the squire and lay priest, advanced careers like the knight (having an order talent card like the wizard would imo work well here) and more about priests and religions so that you get to mix up the secular and sublime...

I would say it's more likely that they'll do a "non-human box" rather than a "dwarf box". It could include small booklets for each race, lots of cards and standups as well as signature careers for each race. But I think it won't be the Black Fire Pass box as it's more likely to be yet another campaign.

Personally I wish they'd stop with putting out more adventures and release more expansions to complete things like advanced careers, actions and so on properly. So that we'd have a complete game at last. Putting out more and more adventure packs is just sending me the message that it isn't a system for telling your own story, but for telling the stories that FFG want you to tell

Ahem, one of the reasons RPGs ain't doing great is because they are cumbersome to run when you have to do your own adventures.

I wouldn't be involved with WFRPG again if it hadn't been for the adventures.

Most of us don't have that time.

I agree.

I think it is very clever to realise information and add-ons combined with an adventure (even though I create my own scenarios).

It prolong the lifespan of the game by many many years.

Agree too...  Those adventurea are great and really fun.  They could continue as they publish it is now with one game supplement and one campaign adventure alternatively.  Works great for us !  Keep on with those great products !

LeBlanc13 said:

RT and DH are in the same boat as far as future releases. Only one product on the docket between the two games "Into the Storm". FFG really likes the word storm by the way. THey have products named "The Gathering Storm", "Into the Storm", and a Marine chapter named the "Storm Wardens."

The Sci-Fi RPG crew have stated many things are in the works, but they can't talk about them now. I think the silence is to generate suspense, but frankly I think the message they're sending is we have no idea what we're doing next.

I'm not stating that's true, but that's what I'm seeing.

Also, FFG is looking to hire an assistant game developer that is supposed to be working directly with WFRP3. Maybe they're looking for  a fresh source of ideas on where to go next.

Eh, no. RPG products are developed months in advance. If they were waiting for another game developer to come on board before starting on the next product after the adventure then you wouldn't see anything new before Christmas, though more likely until next year.

Trust me, they have plenty of stuff lined up. Coming up with good ideas for supplements for WFRP 3 isn't hard - there's so much to cover. It's just that FFG have a policy of keeping quiet about upcoming releases until a month or two before release. Seeing how close GenCon is it makes sense for them to hold off announcing new releases until then. I'd expect announcements for all 4 games.

UncleArkie said:

Well it looks like the next adventure box will have skaven in it, yay!

So shows the cover. Lets hope for a lot of good material not only for this adventure. I think FFG won't let us down.

I'm also interested in prewritten adventures (They're nice for when I want to take a break), but mainly I think we need an extensive Bestiary. There are just far too few enemies in the material we have to make things really interesting, and though I've been converting creatures from 2nd edition, I'd still like the Bestiary to be the top priority.

I'm sure we're going to hear something at Gencon.  That's what I've heard FFG folks suggesting for other lines too.  I think they are holding back right now to give the Gencon announcements more impact.  I have my fingers crossed that among any new products announced, we'll see a proper bestiary, hopefully with a new format for presenting NPCs and monsters (cards perhaps, maybe party-sized cards or something?).

Honestly, I'd rather see bestiaries printed like they did in Winds of Magic.  I love how they threw them in.  It was a fantastic surprise.  Also, instead of creating generic monsters, this created specific monsters, with specific flavor, tailored to the expansion.  It also gave them a way better treatment than a stand-alone expansion full of hundreds of monsters could ever do.  The Mark, the monsters, the magic cards, all really expanded them fantastically and I think all the monsters would suffer a little  if they tried to cram them all in one box.  Just my two cents. 

With that being said, I'd love to see specific expansions tailored to each monster group, like a Skaven expansion box set and a Vampire box set, etc.  I really loved Nights Dark Masters from 2e and I'd love to see something very similar rear its ugly head.  Following its format, you would have the following: 

1_ New Careers designed to deal/fight/challenge the specific race in the box. 

2_Racial specific careers for playing creatures/denizens on those paths. 

3_A GM magic deck tailored toward the specific threat's powers. 

4_A handful of party cards for that specific race (if necessary). 

5_A tailored module in the box for that race. 

6_Action cards/location cards/talent cards pertinent to that race and dealing with that race.  

It follows a similar approach they took with Winds and echoes the work on the old Skaven and Vampire books from 2e.  I just imagine being more interested not only in an Orc expansion, but an Orc expansion I can play.  I know some purists would crucify me for this (as it seems less grim/gritty/heroic, but I love running Nights and would love the chance to run a party of orcs; a party falling to chaos; a party of Skaven.  Grim and gritty has two sides and I'd really like to explore more of that other side (or at least have the option to do so). 

For the sake of wish listing though about the entire line, what I'd like to see most: 

1) Priest Expansion. 

2) Level 4 & Above expansion  

3) New Race boxes (like Fantasy Battle Army books, but tailored for the races.). 

4) The first of my creature expansions like I outlined above (hey, it is a wish list). 

5) One more module - I like the idea of them releasing one every other release.  Keeps the game fresh and gives new focus and little bits I can use as I wait for the next one. 

6) Another adventurer's toolkit to round out some of the stuff we're missing - like more party cards!

It would not be far off either to conjecture at least 3-4 more expansions by the end of the year.  Already in the first half we've had 4, 5 if you count the delayed release of the ATK.  At this rate we should see roughly 4 more, 2 modules, 2 expansions.  But that's just my guess. 

What I'm waiting for mostly, are the things that this game lacks in comparison with 2-nd ed rulebook:

- priests and religions

- diseases

- more advanced careers

- description of more than one empire region

- horses and other means of trasport

Oh, and what Commoner said: PLAYABLE baddies demonio.gif