Sign in to follow this  
Colon Calculator

Gaming boycott until Daedalus

So I'm thinking we should all boycott FFG until they drop everything else and put out Daedalus.  Its so behind schedule it makes SEPTA look efficient (Philly joke).  I loved Tannhauser before and I like it better now that the new rules are out but it still feels like an 80% done game.  It desperately needs neew maps and new characters and figures.  The troop packs are announced but I'm a Matriarchy player and we need troops too. I've said this before but I'll be irritated if the troop pack is more voivodes.  They are cool and all but I can't see any reason to use more then two of them ever.  The Matriarchy needs human troops like everyone else.  Tannhauser is essentially a miniatures game with very few miniatures.  FFG needs to crank up Tannhauser production.  I want to see three different troop packs, Daedalus and a new faction in a box expansion complete with two more maps (like Novgorod) as well as a few new mercenaries and a few more characters for each faction.  Then it would feel playable and complete and I would be inclined to pull it out more.

AND RE-RELEASE WOLF ALREADY!!!!!

with the new rules, I think Daedalos rules are heavily revamped before released, so it may take Time. Producing a Boardgame is heavy work after all, especially when reworking the Rules.

I remember, that ToY had planes, and maybe even annonced a Human Soldier for the Matriachy, I remember some concept art, from the Time their site was still up.

What I am wonderd about is, that there is no Miniature in the Daedalus Box-Contents so far, since there should be a Minotaur Miniature with it as far as I remember.

I am not sure if it still wil come this year, I don't really belive it, but a boycott would lead to nothing, of that I am sure, for at least I am nor buying board games like bread or butter ;)

I know where you are coming from CC. Tannhauser has suffered a bit of  a drought. One of the things I think FFG could change about the Daedalus expansion is to actually include the Minotaur in the box release. It always striked me as weird and annoying that you would have to buy each part seperately.

There was also new miniatures planned for release by TOY for each faction from memory and there was even pictures of them. From memory the Union one was Hoax, the Reich was Hass Hosbringer (may have spelt wrong and I cannot remember the Matriarchy one. In view of these minis were already designed/sculpted. It is a real annoyance they haven't been released yet.

FFG need to get a move on or they will start to lose momentum as the honeymoon period is definitely over. FFG also need to get some new map releases scheduled and some more Mercenaries. Personally I would like to see the Golden Globe Social CLub move up the FFG agenda. They remind me of the Extraordinary League of Gentlemen and could be very interesting/fun for the game. Especially if you had characters that could transform and they supplied the minis to represent this on the board. They are also mentioned in the game fluff already.

Come on FFG pull your finger out!

I suspect the main reason Daedalus is so far behind schedule is because they wanted to release it with V2 rules, and the production of the V2 rules ended up taking a few months longer than expected.  Now that those are out, Daedalus hopefully won't be too far behind.

Boycotting FFG - in particular boycotting any other Tannhauser products that get released prior to Daedalus - is not going to get it out faster.  Products that don't make money tend to get dropped, not rushed out the door.  Threatening the company about not giving them your money makes them care less about your interests, not more.  Boycotts are only really effective if a truly sizable percentage of the market base speaks in unison.  Enough to threaten putting FFG out of business if they don't listen to your demands.  Enough to make local news stations pay attention and spread bad PR about FFG.  Frankly, I doubt there are enough people following this one game line to make that kind of threat credible, even if everyone who follows the Tannhauser forum got on board.

If you want to make sure Daedalus and other Tannhauser products get out the door faster, a more effective method would be to start an online petition and gather a list of names of people who are ready and willing to spend money on this game line.  You get more flies with honey, after all.

Since I own all the current Tannhauser material, I'm not sure what I could boycott if I wanted to... I agree that a boycott of this game would not accomplish anything except further reduce interest and make FFG less likely to spend time developing the game further.

The Sundance Kid said:

FFG now publishing a few new big name games is bad news for Tannhauser.

I, too, have to wonder about FFG taking on Dust Tactics and City of Thieves.  They already have a ton of titles that I'm sure people are craving additional content for, why take on more work?  AEG did an interesting thing by admitting that they do not have the production/development capacity to support all their games so instead of delaying the support for all their games (as they work on each one in rotation), they sold some of the new and riskier products to FFG.  Does FFG really have the capacity to support these new titles as well as their current product lines?  Time will tell I guess. 

The similarity between Dust Tactics setting (and the Dust universe in general) and the Tannhauser setting has me concerned about which title will get supported and which will languish on the sidelines.  The same anxiety exists in my other favorite franchise, BattleLore.

Granted, I see hiring posts on FFG's news feed all the time but how much real game talent exists in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for $27k a year?

Um......you guys realize I was being sarcastic right? I have no desire to actually boycott FFG. I just bought Mists of Zanaga. Guess it didnt come across in print.

Anyway I am also concerned about the whole dust/tannhauser thing as well. My first reaction when I read the description was thinking they are way to similar.

At the very least the fans deserve t he three troop packs daedalus and the figures that TOY already had desighned and slated for release.

I don't think anyone took you too seriously regarding the boycott CC. It's the principle of no product for quite a while that is starting to become the issue. The French players of Tannhauser must be really annoyed because they had quite an established scene going on and were happy with the rules. The fact TOY had product on the cusp of being released must reallly grate on them aswell as me. Why did FFG buy the Tannhauser IP off TOY if it wasn't going to pick up the ball and run with it quickly?

FFG is a release partner on Dust - Dust Games is the designer. Paolo Parente has been working on Dust for years, I don't see him selling out now. FFG wil be designing Tannhauser and Dust Games, Dust. Just coordinating the publicity and the manufacturing and release of a game the size (and PRICE - $100) of Dust was probably overwhelming the AEG operation. I respect the crew there and they did what they needed to, to survive.

docsavagepu8-2.png