Sign in to follow this  
traitorer

healer

ok most of the rpg's i play with my friends there is a healer class.  I have one person that wants to play a healer class but there isn't from what i can tell a dedicated healer class in rogue trader.  The closest i can think would be the seneschal because he deals with all the money, profits, loss, and whatnot on the ship.  What does everyone else think

Well most of the characters can learn basic first aid.

The explorator is the closest thing you are going to find to a "doctor", since they can build the prosthetics.

But if you are looking for a traditional healer you are playing the wrong game. Being wounded often involves losing limbs, and many wounds take weeks to heal. There is no "healer".

The senchal...I suppose if you mean "support" character I could see it, but if you are trying to compare to traditional D&D classes the senchal is closer to a rogue.

Overall, you are going to have a hard time trying to pidgeon hole RT careers into D&D classes. Just accept it is a different system with a different paradigm and roll with it.

Medicae would be best when used with a character with a high Intelligence bonus, so a character with cheap int that learns medicae* would work well. So an Explorator could work well as they are the only ones to get access to the medicae mechadendrite.

*The press ganged option from trials and travels would let you take it.

But any class should be able to do very well with all the medicae gear:

- Medikit: +20 to medicae rolls

- Diagnostor: +20 again, but only in specific circumstances.

- Good Cortex Implant: Unnatural Intelligence x2. Since the IB only matters on lightly wounded characters, once you get your IB above their TB then any time the IB applies you will heal them to full health (unless they have hardy or autosanguine).

So ask your player what else he wants to do with his character, because anyone can make a good healer.

Unless the gm allows Dark Heresy characters. If he does, then a biomancer with seal wounds is simply the best healer around. Especially if the gm allows them to use the unfettered, fettered, push rules before they ascend.

Really early on the best healer is a servor-skull with an advanced medkit.  Once your group gets a few level just an advanced medkit is fine.  Also remember that your group is very rich.  So you could just hire a personal healer.  A major help is if members of your party get the hardy talent. Below are the best healer routes. But keep in mind

Cleric- Take a close look at the faith based talents.  Clerics have okay combat, and good social skills/talents.

Tech priest- Good int advances, good cybernetics as well.  A tech priest is by far the best tank in the game, and can be a horror in melee.

Something to think about is looking at your own conceptual definition of the "healer".  Most genres that feature some sort of healer-type usually feature damage systems that assume the removal of injuries with "the wave of a wand", without lasting effect or the need for long-term care.  In Rogue Trader you're probally better served thinking in terms like "surgeon", "medic", or "ship's medical officer".  The intention is still the same (removing PC damage) but the concept is more in keeping with the 40k setting.  The "ship's doctor" is the guy with the skills, training, and equipment that can stop Blood Loss, patch up a couple of wounds, and maximize the explorer's own natural healing.  There are also great roleplaying and narrative opportunities with replacing lost limbs and eyes, performing emergency surgery, and installing cybernetic gear in fellow explorers.

I am pretty much with RenoDM on this one - a great example are for instance the Eisenhorn books, which feature the chief protagonist through many battles, and after each battle he generally is worse off in mind and body. The world of Warhammer 40k is a place where scars, replacement limbs and permanent injuries are part and parcel of the experience. D&D Cleric Style healers need not apply...

My group started as Dark Heresy acolytes and the groups psyker is a biomancer. While he can't chuck out healing willy-nilly, if you survive the fight, you are likely to be on your feet and fighting fit shortly thereafter, Seal wounds and what ever the other power is are VERY strong.

I found a Missionary to be a good choice of Chief Medicae Officer (surprisingly). Given a reasonable starting Intelligence, and an origin path that gains you more and offers you the option of +10 to Medicae, it is solid, being the only (?) class with Medicae in the first rank.

Granted, Intelligence increases are expensive, but our medic has around 60 Intelligence after a couple of buy-ups, +10 Medicae from his origins and a Diagnosticator for an additional +10 (or 20; I don't have the book to hand). He is extremely competent, and also well able to tend to patients' spiritual needs.