Sign in to follow this  
Herne

"It is the 41st Millenium. For more than....." Text question

So, The Text goes:

"He is the Master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies"

Um, what gods? 

i.e. is this and in-setting, or out-of-setting claim, ind if the former, what does it mean?

I think the line "by will of the gods" is a leftover from 2nd Edition Warhammer 40k, where, as I recall, one of the possible origin stories of the Emperor involved him being the collective reincarnation of all of humanity's past shamans. I also recall, though I don't remember from where, the notion that the one of the forms of the Creed preaches that all the old gods of Earth stepped aside and made way for the Emperor, declaring him their official replacement.

Attila-IV said:

one of the forms of the Creed preaches that all the old gods of Earth stepped aside and made way for the Emperor, declaring him their official replacement.

Makes sense.

Thinking of introuducing a little cult that still worships them, seeing what the PCs do.

Gregorius21778 said:

Hi Herne,

"back in the days, when all this was still teaming and steaming" there where some people called "Sensei". Look them up on "tha internetz", you might find them inspiring

Careful with this.  You might stumble onto the Ordo Hydra heresy! 

Thought for the day:  "An open mind is an invitation for corruption and subversion."

Gregorius21778 said:

Hi Herne,

"back in the days, when all this was still teaming and steaming" there where some people called "Sensei". Look them up on "tha internetz", you might find them inspiring

Hush you fool, the High Lords of Terra brook no discussion of the Sensei, especially in such a public forum.

Besides, everyone within the Inquisition knows the Ordo Chronos have taken anything useful from the past into the future to help the God-Emperor in the final battle against the forces of Chaos.

Herne said:

Attila-IV said:

one of the forms of the Creed preaches that all the old gods of Earth stepped aside and made way for the Emperor, declaring him their official replacement.

Makes sense.

Thinking of introuducing a little cult that still worships them, seeing what the PCs do.

I could be completely imagining this, but I seem to recall that Frank Herbert did this in the later Dune books: although set waaaaaay in the future, one of the Bene Gesserit Mother Superiors encounters a Jewish Spice user, a "Reverend Mother" who continues to practice the Jewish faith in secret. You're right, Attila, it makes for an interesting concept. The Imperium of man, while broadly tolerant of different regional interpretations of the Cult Imperialis would have no truck at all with older religions, forcing them to operate in secret, underground. 

And with 38,000-odd years of history, one would imagine that any remaining religions from "Old Terra" would have changed beyond imagining. Look at the changes Christianity has gone through in the past 2,000! 

You could even have death cults that are based on tragic misreadigs of ancient scriptures from old Terran religions...  They'd make for interesting antagonists, just as Attila says.    

Herne said:

So, The Text goes:

"He is the Master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies"

Um, what gods?

The Chaos Gods of course !

DarkLoic said:

Herne said:

So, The Text goes:

Um, what gods?

The Chaos Gods of course !

I'm pretty sure that whole Horus heresy thing was them gently informing the empra that they in fact did not want a 5th person in their super duper club.

LOL

Gregorius21778 said:

Hi Herne,

I looked up the Sensei recently, whilst thinking about using them in a DH game... here is a link to the Lexacanum page...

javascript:void(0);/*1284929535360*/ 

Velvetears said:

Yup, probably the best one to date on the matter as it's not devolved in to arguements or the like :)

wahoo... i was involved in a thread that didnt end up in an arguement... a first 4 forums everywhere lol