Sign in to follow this  
Tarkand

What minis/models do you use?

With groups that are as unconventional as Rogue Traders are... what models do you use?

I have all those D&D mini which certainly work to convey scale and distance on the map, but it is kinda dinky to have people with bows and chain mail represent Astropath and Explorator...

Reaper has a bunch of nice Sci-Fi minis when the GW minis won't do. For example, a female Void Master. I'm using Rosie Johnson, Chronotech. The Female Nova Corp Officer is nice for a female in armor w/ a big gun. Most male minis can be found in the GW Guardsmen or Witchhunter minis. There are some nice GW female minis, but they don't look much like what I picture Rogue Trader characters to be.

And yes, the Battlefleet Gothic minis are great for ship to ship.

I am a model *****. I have set purchased from nearly every company that builds decent Sci-fi miniatures. From the Pre painted AT-43 (All factions, because you never know when you might need Evil robots, Power armoured Guerrillas, lanky gene-freak aliens, Neo-soviets, and capitalistic space forces), to independent manufacturers like Pig Iron Productions (Love their heavy infantry and Rebel/feral line for gangers and cultists, and eventually the out of print stuff like the mongoose publishing's Starship troopers and other stuff you have to fish for on ebay and the like.

My most recent fix came from Wargames Factory, where I have bought their super deal of 126 trench coat shock troopers for a complete and utter steal of 118 plus tax.

Here are the cooler Indi games companies and their amazing models ready for mass purchase.

www.pig-iron-productions.com/

wargamesfactory.com/

www.urbanmammoth.com/

Ive just ordered some Necromunda Van Sarr gangers from the GW range, Their armoured bodygloves kind of fit in with the tone of the the rogue trader's 'best kit he can afford' look, as the Van Saar have a thing for the very best technology. Ive also ordered a female vampire from the mordheim range to represent our Seneshal (ll have to swap the sword for a lasgun and file down her teeth)

Of interest was the new empire minatures in the collectors range which I have found in the new white dwarf magazine. There are a pair of duellists which if youre willing to convert them will fit nicely in as rakish rogue traders. 

Military braids and epaulettes seem almost mandatory though for rogue traders, at least from the atwork so far!

I think that you could make almost any human mini into a rogue trader by giving it a gun, a sword and epaultees and braids. Time to surf the web and find how to create military braids and epaulettes using green stuff !

I use a mixture of old VOID, AT-43 UNA, Imperial Guard, and the cheap plastic D&D minis

My players use a Kasrkin and Malifaux miniatures

There are also some great-looking WarMachine figures as well (my personal favorite rogue trader-looking guy is a Arcane Tempest Gun Mage that I've been using as my group's Rogue Trader's nemesis).

The nice thing about the 40k setting is that just about anything can fit, from feudal swordsman and rogues up to sci-fi starship troopers.

I think the real question would be, what minis are you using if you are using Hordes from DW in your Rogue Trader game, since they are considered to be Enormous in size?

For that matter, how many spaces does an Enormous unit consist of on a square grid?

Using 1 model for a horde seems a bit odd... surely use several? I would go 1 per point of magnitude, if you have the necessary number of figures, or more points per figure if you don't (and probably no more than 40 figures of a horde on the board at any one time either).

I kitbashed an Anima head,  a Warmachine body and armor, and a Reaper set of wings, to make my character. She cost me $30 to make but I find that for PCs kitbashing is the way to go.

For npcs/hordes/etc, I just bust out my rather large collection of minis and use whats available.

Alexis

*smiles*

What's being used for my Psyker

My Dual Autopistol wielding Carapace wearing bundle of "Patrick Jane meets Lyta Alexander meets the guy who doesn't exist on a plane that doesn't fly between america and the uk and doesnt take joy in his job that is not at all denied by all sides" joy to play demonio.gif

Will be trimming off the blades however..

borithan said:

Using 1 model for a horde seems a bit odd... surely use several? I would go 1 per point of magnitude, if you have the necessary number of figures, or more points per figure if you don't (and probably no more than 40 figures of a horde on the board at any one time either).

While that would make sense, it would make everyone think that a magnitude 30 group was just 30 guys when it could be hundreds.

The only rule stated is that a Horde is considered Enormous in size, which grants a +20 to hit... however, it doesn't say how many spaces that takes up or even if it does take up more spaces.

It should... but how much more?