Sign in to follow this  
mdh

Gear recommendations for new Psyker

Hello everyone,

I have been recruited to play a Dark Heresy Psyker in the service of an Inquisitor to be sent as a long term loan to a Rogue Trader.  As such, I am creating a new character for DH using a 115 point buy, level 5 start rank plus normal gear and two +/- 0 acquisitions.  Anyone have suggestions for what gear I should take?

MDH

FORCE WEAPON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Er, I mean, a force weapon would probably be an excellent choice for a psyker; providing of course you can a) get your hands on one, and b) wield it effectively in combat. Of course, that is just my own bias speaking as I will admit to being partial to them.

If you're leaning toward a telekenetic focus, Kine blades are also a lovely little item (mind any psyker with spectral hands can wield them). Easily concealable and decently deadly.

In the none martial catagories I highly recommend taking a potent psy-focus (can't remember if you start with one or not), which honestly can be whatever you want.

On the whole there is an utter plethora of exceptional gear for the psy gifted - not to mention the other glorious items floating around out there which don't cater specifically to pyskers. A finely crafted bolt pistol never goes out of fashion after all.

For your free acquisitions I'd advise using them for defensive equipment, attack gear can come later. Since you have two, I'd advise:

- The best armour you can get, which would be a good quality set of storm trooper carapace (+30 scale modifier, -10 quality modifier, -20 availability modifier).

- A decent force field device. From Ascension you could get a good Refractor Field (30% chance to block, 5% to overload) or a common Rosirius (50% chance to block, 15% to overload, blinding flash whenever it blocks). Inquisitors Handbook also has force field devices, but the rules for using them are annoying.

For what you try to get through your acquisition tests, that depends on how often you get to make acquisition tests. For my game I let my players roll for as many items as they wanted (once per item) at the start of each endeavour. That way players tried for any item which sounded useful and quickly had a collection of stuff that never left the ship.

Good armour, so you dont stand out in the field as the squishy type, Autopistols, Force Weapon, Shotgun for when you really dont want to pin point shots but would like a decent multi target spread, Field of some sort.

Oh, and as many miles between you and them as you can get :)

If your GM lets you get away with Ultimate Super Cheese. you should get a force weapon.

If you will feel bad about making any other melee tanks look like little sissies (you will as a psyker with a force sword), dont bother with a melee weapon as you will only swing it when you are screwing around.

Otherwise, get the biggest best armor you can get away with walking around in.

If you are doing Rogue trader type missions... power armor I'd think, just b/c its more 'adventuring' than investigation

if its Dark heresy, Get The storm trooper armor as was mentioned above... if you want to be investigator bob, use best quality mesh armor instead.

buy a chain sword for show, and put an autogun on your back for when you have to kill gangers.(anything dangerous will be killed by your psychic powers, since you wont likely be holding back on them)

If you can find one, get a rosarius

In short:

• Power Armor / Storm trooper (if power armor weighs too much).... Best Mesh ARmor if you are walking around in Style
  • chain sword, so you dont suffer from Wizard auto targeting
  • Autogun for gangers, Maybe an auto-pistol... Auto gun is just sexier tho
  • Rosarius if you can get away with it
  • Force Sword for the Cheeeeeeeeeeese!

One silly simple thing.

An auspex. If you want to hide that you are a psyker with loads of nice sensing powers, and psyniscince, a auspex that been set to beep every now and then and display coded nonsense readings is the ****. If your undercover people are lot less likely to start burning you at the stake if you look concered and say "I'm getting a funny readning, we better move" rather then "I just got a funny feeling/I feel a disturbance in the warp"

w176 said:

One silly simple thing.

An auspex. If you want to hide that you are a psyker with loads of nice sensing powers, and psyniscince, a auspex that been set to beep every now and then and display coded nonsense readings is the ****. If your undercover people are lot less likely to start burning you at the stake if you look concered and say "I'm getting a funny readning, we better move" rather then "I just got a funny feeling/I feel a disturbance in the warp"

Unless you start to act on something before the next beep. I suggest trying to get an auspex linked via an MIU so that there is no display others might see.

Bilateralrope said:

w176 said:

One silly simple thing.

Unless you start to act on something before the next beep. I suggest trying to get an auspex linked via an MIU so that there is no display others might see.

Or one that beeps shortly after you press the button marked with the rune for "Scan". Psyker detects something. Psyker pushes button. Fake Auspex beeps and produces nonsense data. Psyker elaborates on findings.

Yea. How to roll with it isn't that important. Just got something to roll with. Even a really lame excuse gets you really far.

Psykana mercy melta bomb, if you do get possessed the knife isn't going to do ****, but your friends will appreciate just having a button to press.

I think the overall longevity of a psyker is to be prudent with warp fueled abilities and dont stand out anywhere, they do actually have a decent set of stat advances and skills that will let them get away with pretending to be anything but a psyker. Its best to approach it on the basis that you're a reviled piece of **** that is hated and loathed by the general population and amongst the slightly more educated, treated as a dangerous loaded gun... and will throw a round into the back of your head if you even so much as behave a bit weird(er) than normal. As a PC, other PC's will cut you a bit of slack, but I never let NPC's give an inch.

Buy a good gun and a disguise happy.gif