Sign in to follow this  
abcdzyxw

Dodging bullets in W40k? (while any ranged dodge is not allowed in wfrp)

Hi,

I'm a beginner to the warhammer rpg systems and just reading through the rules. The dodge rule in DH and RT struck me very strange. You can dodge bullets? Really? Even multiple hits from auto fire? All the while in WFRP (e2) you can't even dodge a thrown object...

Does this make any sence to you guys? The two not only contradict reality, imo, but also each other... How do you guys deal with it?

abcdzyxw said:

Hi,

I'm a beginner to the warhammer rpg systems and just reading through the rules. The dodge rule in DH and RT struck me very strange. You can dodge bullets? Really? Even multiple hits from auto fire? All the while in WFRP (e2) you can't even dodge a thrown object...

Does this make any sence to you guys? The two not only contradict reality, imo, but also each other... How do you guys deal with it?

You know what else contradicts reality?  Psykers.  Oh, and wizards, Elves, Dwarves, Orks, Dæmons, and Ratmen.

The systems are similar, but not the same.  Career mechanics differ, combat round duration, how one gains multiple attack actions aren't the same.  In WFRP2 you have to sacrifice an attack for a defensive action; or be using a second "weapon" to get a free parry.  In Dark Heresy everyone gets an automatic reaction to actively defend themselves, can use an off-hand weapon to actually attack with, but must pick up talents to increase the number of melee attacks they can make.

When you dodge a ranged attack, you're not dodging the bullet or las shot, so much as trying to avoid the focal point of the attack.

Combat is an abstraction.  The dodging of a ranged attack in Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch isn't a matter of "Bam! Oh, I'll move out of the way now."  It's more a matter of angling your body to present a narrower target profile, or simply diving out of line of sight when you see someone beading in on you.  Even if you don't actively defend yourself, you are still considered to be trying to not get hit.

Honestly; and not to sound elitist or smug or mean, but, if you're looking for realism,  why are you even playing an RPG?

-=Brother Praetus=-

Brother Praetus said:

Honestly; and not to sound elitist or smug or mean, but, if you're looking for realism,  why are you even playing an RPG?

-=Brother Praetus=-

Well, that's easy. I am always looking for realism inside the laws of physics a certain world/setting has. In W40k for example the laws of physics (or nature if you will) allow the existance of psyckers and elves in space and whatnot. But no where does it state that creatures are so fast and (and have all the other attributes needed to dodge), they can dodge bullets...

On the other hand, your explanation about positioning yourself in a way that makes you less likely to be hit is fine and was exactly what I was looking for (although dodge can pretty much halve the chances of hitting you and I find it a bit high). Kinda like in Equilibrium cool.gif.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, and for not sounding elitist or smug gui%C3%B1o.gif.

abcdzyxw said:

But no where does it state that creatures are so fast and (and have all the other attributes needed to dodge), they can dodge bullets...

Actually, if you want to take temple assassins into account, yeah it does.
Also I think parrying bullets with a sword is around there somewhere..

I've always believed that 40k was ment to be more cinematic then Fantasy. You know, be closer to an action film then a fantasy epic. One where trained gunmen dance in deadly duels to the Death, dodging eachother's bullets by meer hair lengths. One where the hero runs barely in front of the stream of bullets the autocannon is putting out at high speeds, attempting to catch up to him. One where the blade is just as, if not more deadly in the right hands, as the gun.