Sign in to follow this  
At Last Forgot

Resistance (Psychic Powers) and Perils of the Warp

This thread is to request or discuss clarification of the talent Resistance (Psychic Powers) and to a lesser extent Strong Minded, in relation to Perils of the Warp and other psychic phenomena. Sorry if this has already been discussed, a cursory examination of the forums revealed nothing and my own previous thread went uncommented on.

Would Resistance (Psychic Powers) apply on tests to avoid or resist certain Perils, considering that they are in every way thematically identical to Psychic Powers? I'm guessing it would. Primarily, my rationale is not based on RAW but more on theory. Perils of the Warp are in effect Psychic Powers, they simply lack a conscious psyker mind which manifests and directs them. They are still concentrated and focused intrusion of the Warp into realspace and as such I would imagine this talent affects them. The number of Perils which actually allow for a roll is quite small so this clarification would not unbalance this talent to a great degree.

For that matter, what about Possession attacks and Resistance (Psychic Powers) or Strong Minded? I could see Resistance not working on them, but I'd have to imagine something like Strong Minded would.

Or Psychic Phenomena and effects in general?

Thanks for input in advance.

At Last Forgot said:

This thread is to request or discuss clarification of the talent Resistance (Psychic Powers) and to a lesser extent Strong Minded, in relation to Perils of the Warp and other psychic phenomena. Sorry if this has already been discussed, a cursory examination of the forums revealed nothing and my own previous thread went uncommented on.

Would Resistance (Psychic Powers) apply on tests to avoid or resist certain Perils, considering that they are in every way thematically identical to Psychic Powers? I'm guessing it would. Primarily, my rationale is not based on RAW but more on theory. Perils of the Warp are in effect Psychic Powers, they simply lack a conscious psyker mind which manifests and directs them. They are still concentrated and focused intrusion of the Warp into realspace and as such I would imagine this talent affects them. The number of Perils which actually allow for a roll is quite small so this clarification would not unbalance this talent to a great degree.

For that matter, what about Possession attacks and Resistance (Psychic Powers) or Strong Minded? I could see Resistance not working on them, but I'd have to imagine something like Strong Minded would.

Or Psychic Phenomena and effects in general?

Thanks for input in advance.

I bolded the reason that it wouldn't work, this isn't just a psyker doing it, it is the warp itself, and short of being the emperor it's not likely you're going to be able to tell that to stay out of your head or shrug it off.

But obviously you -can- shrug it off, or at least some of them are avoidable, because they allow tests to avoid or resist them. You can make Willpower tests to avoid Corruption/Insanity points for a few, Psychic Mirror tells you to "resolve the power's effects as normal but the power targets the Psyker instead" so obviously that may allow Willpower/Dodge rolls in some cases depending on the power, and even a full-blown Warp intrusion into your mind a la Daemonhost allows for a Willpower roll to avoid it. Seems to suggest to me that these are treated similarly to Psychic Powers, or perhaps Sorcery (which is affected by and translates into Psychic Power in every case as per Radical's Handbook).

Resistances apply a bonus for defence against or avoidance of a given phenomenon. A Psyker is opening himself up to the Warp in order to shape its energies, he isn't actively resisting it at that point (or his power wouldn't work) and the whole point of Perils of The Warp is that he's actually lost control - the Warp is flowing freely and unfocussed through him.

So nope, I don't allow Resistance (Psychic Powers) or Strong Minded to apply because he isn't resisting a psychic power, he's resisting warp backlash.

Perils of the Warp are already relatively rare - you need to a roll a 9,then you need to roll 75 or more to trigger one.