Sign in to follow this  
MRoxs

The Eye for an Eye dinner

A question for you guys. I have been reading the intro adventure of Eye for an Eye but I have a question about the dinner...

It's a bit unclear to me when the dinner actually starts, there doesn't seem to be a transition. You just get an explanation about the investigation, then there's a few pages about areas and NPCs and then they mention the dinner again.

So I was wondering what any of you would advice me as to when to hold the dinner?

My GM used a tracker with an event marker on 4th and 8th. Each action the pcs took (for example, when they investigate the blacksmith, that counts as an action), the tracker advanced 1 space. On the 4th marker, the dinner started.

According to the adventure itself, I believe you're supposed/advised to use a tracker with an event on the 5th and 10th space, and two tracking tokens. One advances when they uncover a clue, the other advances when they waste their time or accidentally alert the cultists. When the good tracker reaches the first event they discover something really important, and when it reaches the second, they discover the temple or something like that. When the bad tracker reaches the first event, dinner starts, and when it reaches the second event, the ritual starts.

This suggests that there's still time to investigate after dinner, but from the descriptions, I get the impression that after dinner, preparations for the ritual start right away, and the cultists actively try to keep the PCs away by having a few of their members having a drink and philosophical discussion with them.

When I ran the adventure, I played it by ear - judging how long it was taking the characters in their investigation. When I judged it was time for dinner (when the players had spent a days worth of time investigating), then that's when i held it.

Luckily by the time dinner came round the players had worked out that it was going to be poisoned. They tried warning the lord, and though he didn't believe the so didn't stop the dinner,  enough boons in their social efforts meant that a number of  the staff opted for the safe food at the last minute....

Thanks for the replies. I had overlooked the fact that the cultists were also a part of the tracker part. This requires another re-read on my part.

By the way, I only have one Beastman stand-up, is this correct? And when the Tome of adventure mentions the henchmen beastmen, does it imply that I have to use the Henchmen rules for them? To me that seems like relatively weak beastmen.

If you have the core game, it should have come with a couple Gor standups and one Wargor standup. If you get the GM's toolkit it comes with more Gor standups with a different picture, and actual Ungor standups. Also, henchmen are supposed to be weak, that is the point. They travel in groups that work together to do the same amount as a Villain type character. It is very much paying respects to the Brute squad in 7th Sea, if you have ever played that game. Having these lackeys that can put up a decent fight in a group, but die relatively quickly increases the pacing of the game, keeping players focused on the action rather than dice rolls.

greenlantern92 said:

If you have the core game, it should have come with a couple Gor standups and one Wargor standup. If you get the GM's toolkit it comes with more Gor standups with a different picture, and actual Ungor standups. Also, henchmen are supposed to be weak, that is the point. They travel in groups that work together to do the same amount as a Villain type character. It is very much paying respects to the Brute squad in 7th Sea, if you have ever played that game. Having these lackeys that can put up a decent fight in a group, but die relatively quickly increases the pacing of the game, keeping players focused on the action rather than dice rolls.

I'd better do an inventory check soon then...

And yes, the henchmen are supposed to be weak, I was just implying that I didn't understand why the henchmen rules come into play the first battle a player might ever enact. But it makes sense, we had a few trial combat runs to get in touch with the system and when I didn't use the henchmen rules the battles became a whole lot more deadlier.

Thanks for replying.

greenlantern92 said:

If you have the core game, it should have come with a couple Gor standups and one Wargor standup. If you get the GM's toolkit it comes with more Gor standups with a different picture, and actual Ungor standups.

Are you sure about that? As far as I recall, my core set had only a single beastman. Possibly two, but not more than that. I had to use other types of monster standups during 'A Day Late'.

Also, henchmen are supposed to be weak, that is the point. They travel in groups that work together to do the same amount as a Villain type character. It is very much paying respects to the Brute squad in 7th Sea, if you have ever played that game. Having these lackeys that can put up a decent fight in a group, but die relatively quickly increases the pacing of the game, keeping players focused on the action rather than dice rolls.

The thing is, beastmen are not supposed to be weak. An average beastman should be much stronger than an average human. Using henchmen rules can lead to players underestimating beastmen, and I don't want that. I want them to fear beastmen. I want them to **** their pants when they encounter a lot of beastmen, but now they'll think: Oh, they're just henchmen mostly. We can handle them.

A group of 5 inexperienced humans/dwarfs beating a group of 10 beastmen is very un-Warhammer. I don't like the henchmen rules, and I'd rather not use them. The problem is that replacing a group of with even two regular beastmen makes the encounter a lot harder. It's easy to accidentally kill everybody.

mcv said:

greenlantern92 said:

Are you sure about that? As far as I recall, my core set had only a single beastman. Possibly two, but not more than that. I had to use other types of monster standups during 'A Day Late'.

The thing is, beastmen are not supposed to be weak. An average beastman should be much stronger than an average human. Using henchmen rules can lead to players underestimating beastmen, and I don't want that. I want them to fear beastmen. I want them to **** their pants when they encounter a lot of beastmen, but now they'll think: Oh, they're just henchmen mostly. We can handle them.

A group of 5 inexperienced humans/dwarfs beating a group of 10 beastmen is very un-Warhammer. I don't like the henchmen rules, and I'd rather not use them. The problem is that replacing a group of with even two regular beastmen makes the encounter a lot harder. It's easy to accidentally kill everybody.

I currently only got one beastman stand-up as well. Now I might have misplaced one (or more) so I'll have to check it out. The list on the support page doesn't really list what kind of stand-ups there are. Just how much of a certain kind so I'll be counting.

I used a tracker to get to the dinner, it worked well timing wise.  The problem I had was the players found the note and already suspected a lot of the right people so dinner passed by fast an uneventful.