Sign in to follow this  
Jamescuk

Tomorrow is my First time to GM WFRP 3rd

As it say right there yup, i have taken the plunge with wfrp 3rd, now I want to run A rough night at the Three feathers inn.

So is there any pit traps i need to watch out for, i am running it for 5 players so some are having to share cards, 

I am very worried about working out the results, of the dice, argh someone please settle my nerves please, 

James

You are gonna have an AWESOME time! I hadn't GMed in years when I picked this up. It's one of the easiest systems I've ever seen for both players and GMs.

Two quick tips I'd give you:

1. Once you've explained how the cards/rules work, make the players responsible for their own rulesets. They're right there in front of them.

2. Spend some time before you start revealing your expectations of gameplay. How much narration do you want them to do, and how much will you do? How do you want them to think about fights and social combat? Do you want them to tell YOU when they want to go into social combat, or will you tell them? Should they be reminded that often running is the best option? Do they need reminders about how to investigate/describe what they're looking for/ask questions of NPCs? This may have been your gaming group for years, so they may know what to expect from you and from the system, but it's always nice to do a quick reminder session when a new game begins.

Once you've reminded your players of your playstyle...just play! It'll go beautifully, believe me. And even if it doesn't, you can always correct rules mistakes later. Just have a good time, and your players will, too!

You sure didn't pick an easy adventure to start with :) Three Feathers is superb but notably hard to GM and, with a new system, you have the mechanics to worry about on top of that. If you're open to it, maybe consider starting with something that's very straighforward and acts as a mechanical tutorial - even if it's 'A Day Late'.

Regarding the dice, I can only suggest you let your player's help with the narration (if you're comfy with that). Let them interpret the results and reward them when they do in a cool fashion. ;)

On pitfalls.. I expect you'll end-up with the same queries many GMs have hit; including social encounters, kiting etc. etc... Be ready to just wing it with what makes sense, have a think, then possibly take a look at some of the recurring discussions on here and finalise something for the future further down the line.

Hope that's some help, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. Your players are going to be in the same boat!

So do you think I should not run a rough night then? Because I am quite an experienced GM, would you recommend running An eye for an eye?

I really want to run The Enemy within Campaign; I have all the books from Hogshead.

How do you work around the limited amount of dice, I only have the basics set, but two of my friends have  ipods touches and iphones so they have downloaded the app so that should reduce the amount of dice that will be needed.

James

If you're comfy running Three Feathers with a new system then absolutely go for it :) I was suggesting 'A Day Late', or 'Eye for an eye' as you say, to get an adventure that doesn't need converting, shows the typical three-act structure and the like.

The dice were definitely an issue aye, especially to begin with. Happily two of my players bought two sets of dice each - one set isn't really enough for one player it seems - and we're all set.

For Enemy Within, there's a conversion thread on these forums you've probably seen. Should be good :)

For dice we all share, I use the lid from the adventurers toolkit to roll in since the table gets rather filled.  Eye for an Eye is good, and easy to use as a simple jumping off point.

How did it go?

(And I agree with having something in which to roll the dice. One of my players has a lovely dice rolling "mat" with wooden edges. Helps a lot when you have to pick up a whole handful of dice at once!)