Sign in to follow this  
Belirahc

Is it worth my time to max out my cards?

Hi everyone.

I am just getting into W:I and I am asking a simple question.  I've seen people talking about going in with friends to buy Ulthuan in order to get three of each card for your self, but is it worth the effort?  Looking at the list for the Core Set and the mini expansions, there would be no way to purchase sets to evenly distribute cards between friends without someone coming out on the short end of the fire stick.  Is it really worth all the trouble to go through that to get a third card, or is it just as easy to play with what is in a single box and not worry about it so much?

Im a bit confused by your question, your actual post seems to differ from the question posed in the thread title.

If you ask wether theres any point buying anything else other than 1 core set to play with your freinds  then I would say yes, deckbuilding and making a deck your own is a nice part of the warhammer process. Just dont feel you have to buy each set deckbox is a great spoiler site so you can see what you are getting in each pack, so if you are set with one race just buy the sets that appeal to you for that race. If you are short on cash then of course you will be able to find much enjoyment just with the core set, however I would advice switching decks every so often if you do, both to lessen any imbalances the core mnay have and to also keep the game fresh.

If you ask the question in your thread title then I would say no imo.Spending £260 instead of £81 just so you can get 3 of each cards just doesnt strike me as being worth it unless you are an extremely competitive player who is playing in regionals. Buying multiples of sets in your local meta can on occasion bring more harm than good, forcing other people to have to buy multiples just to compete.

Actually, I think you answered the question(s), David.  My question basically is, is it worth having three of every card, or will what comes in the sets really all you need?  I know that you can have no more than three cards in your deck, but are the singles in the sets really worth spending all the money to get three sets?  Do they really add that much to your game.

For now, I'm playing with friends, but if there is enough interest, I'm considering trying to get my FLGS to start a league. 

I'm mainly a CoC player, but this question comes up a lot over there too.  What I usually suggest to new players is to shoot for 2 copies of each card.  Once your playing regular, and you develop your favorite deck/style, you'll know what card you need three copies of for your deck. 

Start with one core box. Then depending on how many players you plan on sharing cards with get more after a few plays.

For the record if you buy 3 of everything off of cool stuff then it only cost 263 bucks. No shipping for orders over 100 bucks. That would give you roughly 1700 cards.

There are cards that you will want more than one of, otherwise drawing and playing one will happen rarely. Like the relics. Epic Tactics you can get away with only needing one of since they are more end game cards. 

It depends on your local group. If you are playing where other people do have 3 of everything, there is a chance you won't be able to compete. For example, most of the mass removal spells are only in as a 1x in the sets. Judgement of Verena, Master Rune of Valaya, Gifts of Aenarion are all one-ofs, and Flames of the Phoenix is a 2x in its BP. So if you want to play the Bolt Thrower deck, which is also a 1x, you won't be able to with just one of each set.

Orc rush does very well with only one of each set. This may also cause a problem though as with only one of each set, orc rush is far and away the best deck. With 3 of every card, there is a decent environment for many decks.

*note to FFG, it would be nice if there were a way to buy singles for a set price. Maybe a quarter ($0.25) each? I would like to pick up another 3 Clan Moulder Elites and Greyseer Thanquols and some other cards so that I can make more than one deck that uses those neutral cards.

Some friends of mine and me have purchased the core set three times already and we  have each BP the Assault on Ulthuan two times. We've built some decks together and now we are switching these decks and rebuilding them from time to time.

You can do the same with two of your friends. Everone of you has each product once and you borrow your cards, so that everyone of you will be able to play two races with three cards each.

greez,

Deagal

If you want to play with the Skaven decks competitively then yes x3 is needed. If not my suggestion is to buy everything x1 because with the introduction of the new cycle everything is x3.

I got one box of everything (1 core set, and 1 battlepack of every kind) and for me it's very good for a friendly play. But if You would like to play it the hard way and have 3 the same cards (for example of Trolls Vomit) then You need to buy 3 copies of the core set. It's good for tournaments and such things. But for a friendly play the one piece of all is just fine.

It would be great if you could buy singles, I can see contested village selling like hotcakes, being such a staple... And it's not like selling individual cards would go against the spirit of LCG's if FFG made singles at a cheap, fixed price. Perhaps they'll just release retro BP of the cards only available x1 in earlier packs, but again that doesn't help for popular neutral cards.

Every1 is telling you the same, 1x for a friendly gaming 3x for a competitive one.

Anyway if you rly can afford the 3x, I suggest you to get all of them. With the upcoming cycle of enemy and new deluxe expansion, it's rly worth to max out your cards.

Thanks everyone for the information.  Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions, and for now I think I will go with the single sets until we decide if we are going to start up a league at my FLGS.  After that, we'll look at other options.