Sign in to follow this  
CaribbeanNinja

Hardcell article

"The ship could be an unconventional pick to fend off incoming enemy squadrons with some Reactive Gunnery, for example, making its defense tokens even more versatile."

Great idea, take an upgrade that will be useful *only* against squadrons (Hardcell can't Salvo against ships. All lists have ships, not all lists have squadrons). No thanks, I'd rather have literally any other upgrade of that slot. Yes, even Cluster Bombs.

Edited by Petersaber

35 minutes ago, Petersaber said:

"The ship could be an unconventional pick to fend off incoming enemy squadrons with some Reactive Gunnery, for example, making its defense tokens even more versatile."

Great idea, take an upgrade that will be useful *only* against squadrons (Hardcell can't Salvo against ships. All lists have ships, not all lists have squadrons). No thanks, I'd rather have literally any other upgrade of that slot. Yes, even Cluster Bombs.

To be fair, they did say "unconventional." 😄

I suspect the best way to run a Hardcell will be near naked.  Maybe Comms Net, or an offensive retro for carriers.

BoB doesn't look half bad either.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

30 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

To be fair, they did say "unconventional." 😄

I suspect the best way to run a Hardcell will be near naked.  Maybe Comms Net, or an offensive retro for carriers.

BoB doesn't look half bad either.

IMHO the cheaper version is a better carrier - 2 squadrons, but it can't field Expanded Hangars. The more expensive version *can* field Expanded Hangars... in order to also have 2 Squadron Value.

I don't see the more expensive version to be anything other than a battle ship. It's almost literally a Nebulon-B Support... which IMHO is the worst ship in the game.

The cheaper version, while it has schizophrenia, will be a pretty good support ship.

swm35_card_rune-haako.png

Ugh... I've this card at least a dozen times and I'm still not sure I understand how it works.

Rune Haako is given a Supply of 2 command tokens of any type at the start of the game.

Does only the ship equipped with Rune Haako get the matching command token(s) that were discarded. Or do both ships? 🤔

I think Run Haako's card works like this example:

The player chooses to place 2 ConFire tokens in Rune Haako's Supply at the start of the game. During the game, a friendly ship acquires 1 Nav token.

Rune Haako can take 1 of the following actions:

1. Discard the friendly ship's Nav token and add 1 Nav token to Rune Haako's ship (basically a token transfer, similar to Comms Net);
  2. Discard 1 ConFire token from Rune Haako's Supply and add 1 ConFire token to Rune Haako's ship;
  3. Both #1 and #2.

I think that's how it works. 🤨 ???

4 minutes ago, Captain Corvid said:

Rune Haako can take 1 of the following actions:

1. Discard the friendly ship's Nav token and add 1 Nav token to Rune Haako's ship (basically a token transfer, similar to Comms Net);
  2. Discard 1 ConFire token from Rune Haako's Supply and add 1 ConFire token to Rune Haako's ship;
  3. Both #1 and #2.

I think that's how it works. 🤨 ???

That's how I interpret it as well.

24 minutes ago, Captain Corvid said:

Discard 1 ConFire token from Rune Haako's Supply and add 1 ConFire token to Rune Haako's ship;

I think you need a friendly ship at distance 1-5 to do this part too. "...you may choose another friendly ship at distance 1-5. If you do..." then the three options you've listed. So if all your friendly ships have died and Haako still has tokens, I don't think his ability will work.

Rune Haako is a reverse Comms Net, that works on multiple tokens at once, and has its own supply.

You start with 2 tokens of any type on the card. When you (the ship) reveals a command dial, you pick any other friendly ship at distance 1-5 of your ship (so it doesn't work when the ship is on its own).

You then grab any number of tokens from that other ship and/or the card and move them to the ship you are currently activating.

If you put him on the Hardcell obviously you'd only be grabbing one token at once, presumably to fuel your Fleet Support, or for an emergency. He might be better on a higher Command ship as then you'd be able to benefit from grabbing multiple tokens.

47 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Rune Haako is a reverse Comms Net, that works on multiple tokens at once, and has its own supply.

You start with 2 tokens of any type on the card. When you (the ship) reveals a command dial, you pick any other friendly ship at distance 1-5 of your ship (so it doesn't work when the ship is on its own).

You then grab any number of tokens from that other ship and/or the card and move them to the ship you are currently activating.

If you put him on the Hardcell obviously you'd only be grabbing one token at once, presumably to fuel your Fleet Support, or for an emergency. He might be better on a higher Command ship as then you'd be able to benefit from grabbing multiple tokens.

It is very thematic, he is always about saving his own skin.  I like the card but I don't like him on a Hardcell.

1 hour ago, Grumbleduke said:

The only thing is it does read, “any number of tokens”, so in theory you could take zero tokens from the other ship and 0-2 tokens from Rune Haako’s card.... in theory...

Which also means it’s not a one use card cause you don’t discard, and you can take zero tokens from Rune Haako and as many as you can (presumably no more than 4) from the other friendly ship. Probably would have been better at 2 points.

14 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

The only thing is it does read, “any number of tokens”, so in theory you could take zero tokens from the other ship and 0-2 tokens from Rune Haako’s card.... in theory...

Yes. So you can choose to take the tokens from another ship (reverse comms net), but you can also choose to take them from your own card supply (until you run out). Or you can do both. I guess you could take no tokens from either, but then the card would have no effect.

If you had a Command 4 ship in the list (if any turn up for Separatists) you could take 6 tokens in one round except you wouldn't have anywhere to put them.

However, a big thing to note is that even if you are only taking tokens from the card itself, you still need to choose another friendly ship to "steal" from. It is the choosing that triggers the card effects.

1 hour ago, Grumbleduke said:

Yes. So you can choose to take the tokens from another ship (reverse comms net), but you can also choose to take them from your own card supply (until you run out). Or you can do both. I guess you could take no tokens from either, but then the card would have no effect.

If you had a Command 4 ship in the list (if any turn up for Separatists) you could take 6 tokens in one round except you wouldn't have anywhere to put them.

However, a big thing to note is that even if you are only taking tokens from the card itself, you still need to choose another friendly ship to "steal" from. It is the choosing that triggers the card effects.

But at least it’s not a one use card (as long as you have other ships in your fleet).
Still I keep thinking the Rune Haako card would have been more appropriate at 2 points.

Comms Net can affect any ship (giving them a token) and this card only benefits 1 ship (the ship it’s on) and though both Comms Net and Rune Haako require a second ship (CN requires a “support” ship and RH requires a ship to steal from), Comms Net is also only 2 points. Perhaps it’s the fact that RH starts with and stores two tokens and that you can take multiple tokens that the devs thought it deserved an extra 2 points in cost.

Just looking at all the new cards, makes me think a new emphasis in 1.5 is being placed on command tokens, so this card will probably be worth its cost.🤷‍♀️

8 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

But at least it’s not a one use card (as long as you have other ships in your fleet).
Still I keep thinking the Rune Haako card would have been more appropriate at 2 points.

Comms Net can affect any ship (giving them a token) and this card only benefits 1 ship (the ship it’s on) and though both Comms Net and Rune Haako require a second ship (CN requires a “support” ship and RH requires a ship to steal from), Comms Net is also only 2 points. Perhaps it’s the fact that RH starts with and stores two tokens and that you can take multiple tokens that the devs thought it deserved an extra 2 points in cost.

Just looking at all the new cards, makes me think a new emphasis in 1.5 is being placed on command tokens, so this card will probably be worth its cost.🤷‍♀️

First off, Rune is more like Hondo (without the drawback) + reverse comms net so 4 points seems right to me. 

For separatists, the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many. The faction is all about treating frontline grunts as expendable to the benefit of the larger threat. Upgrades like Wat and Rune play into this theme. Hardcells are too expensive to simply be dedicated support ships, they need to be using their command dials to help out in combat. Instead, unique Separatist upgrades let your bigger threats turn all of them into potential resources to burn.