Sign in to follow this  
CaribbeanNinja

New rules...

"If players have exhausted cards with a non-recur icon, they take turns, starting with the first player, choosing one card to ready and paying that card’s cost, until one player has no more cards to ready."

So if you have more exhausted cards than your opponent, you can't ready any cards you have left in excess of their readied cards?  Interesting...

7 minutes ago, joespahr said:

"If players have exhausted cards with a non-recur icon, they take turns, starting with the first player, choosing one card to ready and paying that card’s cost, until one player has no more cards to ready."

So if you have more exhausted cards than your opponent, you can't ready any cards you have left in excess of their readied cards?  Interesting...

I think that just means you won't be taking turns anymore, i.e. just ready all your cards in any order (while paying the cost).

" or taking specific upgrades (such as Strategic Adviser) that assist large ships in delaying their activations."

That was literally the reason why that card was created...

Pass Tokens being one-off only reintroduces the idea (and, I dare say, necessity for some archetypes) of including "trash" activations, like naked Torpedo Hammerheads.

"Pass Tokens

This is the single biggest change to the core Armada game experience. We've repurposed the pass token mechanic introduced with the Super Star Destroyer to provide more parity to fleets with lower activations than their opponents. Tokens are now expendable and spent during the Ship Phase to pass an activation turn."

Does this mean the SSD loses it's ability to pass each turn in favour of getting an unknown number of one-off Pass Tokens?

34 minutes ago, Petersaber said:

Does this mean the SSD loses it's ability to pass each turn in favour of getting an unknown number of one-off Pass Tokens?

Yes, this is mentioned in the full Rules Reference, page 14:

"Note: These rules replace the pass token rules previously published in the Super Star Destroyer expansion. A huge ship no longer receives an additional pass token as described in those rules."

59 minutes ago, joespahr said:

I suspect most players won't worry about this new rule, particularly in casual games, but it is there as now players make a choice when readying some of their cards, and that choice can give their opponent some extra information.

Also, looks like we're getting larger Damage Deck cards as well. That's potentially a lot more table space covered up, particularly in team games or high-point games.

Oooh, Game Crash with Engine Techs! New Engine Techs says:

"After you execute a maneuver, if you overlapped a ship, exhaust this card."

But the new Overlapping rule says:

"If a ship overlaps another ship while moving, it has not executed its maneuver until it resolves the effects of overlapping that other ship, including being dealt damage cards."

So if you overlap a ship, you haven't executed its maneuver until you've resolved all the effects of overlapping the ship. Engine Techs has an effect when you overlap a ship. But you don't resolve the Engine Techs effect until "after" you execute a maneuver. But you can't get to after executing the maneuver until you've resolved the effects...

Don't interpret Engine Techs this way. Pretend that "after" is a "while".

Edited by Grumbleduke

2 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Yes, this is mentioned in the full Rules Reference, page 14:

"Note: These rules replace the pass token rules previously published in the Super Star Destroyer expansion. A huge ship no longer receives an additional pass token as described in those rules."

As someone who won a tournament (including a W against a continental vice-champ) using the SSD and owes a lot to that recurring Pass Token...

RIP.

Edited by Petersaber

22 minutes ago, clontroper5 said:

not the purpose of the article, and it was likely done/mostly done before the change was known about

In such articles in the past they have ('heres Brooks to talk about .... '). Moreover it would have been a good opportunity to thank and acknowledge all the previous dev team for bringing the game to this point of handover.

Can someone double check this please - I think the wording for the maximum number of flotillas has been removed. I don't think running more than 2 flotillas is fantastic, especially with the new pass rules, but it opens up the design space for more different flotillas.  

9 minutes ago, Rayster said:

Can someone double check this please - I think the wording for the maximum number of flotillas has been removed. I don't think running more than 2 flotillas is fantastic, especially with the new pass rules, but it opens up the design space for more different flotillas.  

Tournament regs. 

2 hours ago, Triangular said:

I can‘t find the „Engine Techs“ in the Errata section. Am I blind, did they forget or did they decide to take the double-ram-barrier back?

That double ram is not back, that it's mentioned in the FAQ section. Apparently they just forgot to put Engine Techs in the errata section.