Sign in to follow this  
Triangular

Overview spoiled Upgrade Cards

Thanks for this.

That new Engine Techs wording seems a little clunky. I get what they're trying to do (prevent double-ramming with Engine Techs), but for that shouldn't the second line be simply "While executing a maneuver, if you overlapped a ship..."? As it is, both parts have the same timing ("after you executive a maneuver") so you could choose to resolve the first part before the second part, and ETs anyway. Unless I am missing something.

Afterthought: is it too much to hope that we are getting some new timing rules on maneuvers? Something like "fully resolve anything to do with overlapping a ship or squadron first, then anything to do with overlapping an obstacle, then any other effects"?

Also, it seems Avenger also got nerfed: "While attacking, you may exhaust this card. if you do, the defender cannot spend more than 1 exhausted defense token during this attack."

Edited by Grumbleduke

Triangular already has lots of the goodies listed up above but as I was reading the Reddit post I was getting confused trying to keep track of them all.  I wrote most of them down (missed a couple that I'll go back in and edit later) but they are at the below link as well as some quick thoughts on each change.  Looking forward to seeing how they play out and if there are any more changes coming over the next year with another points balance/rework of the dead cards.

https://swasector47.blogspot.com/2020/11/armada-card-tweaks-from-early-pre-orders.html

7 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Thanks for this.

That new Engine Techs wording seems a little clunky. I get what they're trying to do (prevent double-ramming with Engine Techs), but for that shouldn't the second line be simply "When you overlap a ship..."? As it is, both parts have the same timing ("after you executive a maneuver") so you could choose to resolve the first part before the second part, and ETs anyway. Unless I am missing something.

Afterthought: is it too much to hope that we are getting some new timing rules on maneuvers? Something like "fully resolve anything to do with overlapping a ship or squadron first, then anything to do with overlapping an obstacle, then any other effects"?

Also, it seems Avenger also got nerfed: "While attacking, you may exhaust this card. if you do, the defender cannot spend more than 1 exhausted defense token during this attack."

For ET: Very good catch! I just saw the intention but didn't think about the details!

For Avenger: That's so. Just another slip ... I will add the card!

9 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Thanks for this.

That new Engine Techs wording seems a little clunky. I get what they're trying to do (prevent double-ramming with Engine Techs), but for that shouldn't the second line be simply "When you overlap a ship..."? As it is, both parts have the same timing ("after you executive a maneuver") so you could choose to resolve the first part before the second part, and ETs anyway. Unless I am missing something.

So I am taking this as an order of operations thing.  If at the end of your first move you overlap exhaust the card.  This is part of the first maneuver.  Now you get to the Second maneuver, card is exhausted can't do it.  I guess I see the point of confusion though.  I do think the intent is pretty clear, no double ramming.

36 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I think ffg really struck out with what they were attempting to do here.  I don’t know if many of the else changes make the game better. Demolisher and admonition don’t even sound playable to me anymore. I will wait and see once I actually play with the new cards.

Demolisher is a card that tweaks the core rules just too hard. It needed a hard nerf in my eyes. (Another thing would have been to allow all ships a second attack after moving, when this attack would target the rear hull zone. One of my favorite rules changes that never will come.) I think, the card is still playable and worth 10 points. But now you need to think a little bit harder for positioning.

Admonition is another card that could be very frustrating to play against. The possibility to spend and then discard the same card during one attack was overdone. Together with the point reduction, I think it's fair.

48 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Overall a lot of very good changes. 

But as a whole, utterly underwhelming. What a wasted opportunity. 

That's what I thought too. I like almost every change they did. Only Tagge is still bad. I don't get why there had to be MORE modification-cards. Mon Karren was a weired choice to change. There are still so many cards just not good enough for their points. Why Mon Karren? And then even make it CF-only?

Yavaris nerf seems unfair to me, if Col. Jendon stays as he is. Just my opinion.

Edited by Triangular
wrong card name

13 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Overlapping is resolved before any "after moving" effects, so not a problem. This is nothing new.

Yep, but the new wording on Engine Techs (if correct) is also an "after moving" thing, not a "while moving" thing. It is phrased not as something to do when you actually overlap (which obviously comes first) but something to do when you've finished your maneuver if you overlapped.

The Demolisher change doesn't feel too bad. It is a little bit of a nerf, but it also helps with in-game decision-making; you no longer have to worry about whether you'll get your post-maneuver shot and so whether to take a second attack first. The big nerf is to last-firsting with a Demolisher, getting 3 solid attacks in and then running. Instead you'll have to get 2 attacks and either run, hoping to get a shot on the other side, or ram and stay.

Admonition also doesn't feel like too much of a nerf given the changes to Evades - letting you discard them for extra effects.

Mostly it does feel that black dice ships took a big hit (See, how do you like it, black-dice ships?!); APTs, ACMs, External Racks, Ordnance Experts, Demolisher, Admonition, even Avenger all getting nerfed, plus the boost to close-range defence via evades (although I guess that also helps MC30s and non-Iden GSDs a bit).

Redundant shields is the same as before... why!?! Modification and 8 points for 5 shields over 6 rounds at most? So bad. At least let us move 1 shield as well. Jesus. Did they decide not to change cards no one ever used?

Did they buff Heavy turbolaser turret? Such a staple upgrade, but so underwhelming in armada.

Edited by Sybreed

>Konstantine

The much-anticipated rework seems pretty good, but good lord is that messy to read. Considering you can't zero-speed (understandably), you'll still need to find a way to leverage speed changes into winning.

>Ozzel

Pretty good buff, IMO the only thing he was really good with was Raiders and sometimes Arquitens and Gozantis since most ships want to stay at speed 2 and cap out at 3. And with nav commands you basically still get his old effect.

>Iblis/Tagge

Getting to pick your rounds instead of two arbitrary rounds makes them more flexible. Garm will be helpful with all the token-refresh commands, though I still feel like Tagge is too situational.

>Tarkin

Much needed points reduction, I still wouldn't really run him without Sovereign

>Mothma

Points reduction, straight buff, and improvement to base Evades. My Mothma MC30 fleet is really happy with this, even with Admonition getting nerfed

>Demolisher

I don't think the nerf on its own is too bad, now you're just forced to actually use the ability it comes with. Coupled with the Engine Techs nerf, its much less cheesy.

>Avenger

This makes me feel... eh. Boarding Troopers/Sloane/Overload Pulse is basically mandatory to get any use out of this now.

>Admonition

RIP. I guess with the Evade buffs, Foresight's gonna be the new default MC30 title.

>Mon Karren

While I don't think the change itself is too bad, I really, really don't like them messing with the one actually-good LMC80 title.

>Yavaris

Can't say I'm too surprised about this one. No more instagibbing Star Destroyers with B-Wings. I think this might push Rebel Bomber lists more towards Y-Wings since they still effectively double their damage (no second BCC reroll though), but its probably not an auto-include anymore.

>Slicer Tools

Did Slicer Tools really need a nerf? I guess a Minister Tua ECM Gozanti with them can be annoying, but I doubt they get used that much otherwise.

>ACM/APT

The black crits are far and away the best crit effects in the game, so no surprise they got reined in. Coupled with the nerfs to Ordnance Experts, ExRax, and Demo/Admo, small shotgun brawlers really got hit hard. 

>ExRax

And given those nerfs, also not surprising External Racks got its cost doubled, otherwise it'd probably be the new 'default ordnance.' I think this'll be a lot more rare though- it was most best on the likes of Hammerheads or Raiders that really only get one good close-range shot per game so you didn't want the 5-7 points for the crits, but now that its the same cost as APTs you're probably better off aiming for the face-up card.

>ECM

Again, no surprise, hopefully this'll make taking other Defensive Retrofits feel like less of a handicap.

>Dual Turbolaser Turrets

Just a wording change, but seriously, there is literally no reason to use these over LTTs unless you haven't spent your Modification slot and don't have the 2 points. 

>H9 Turbolasers

Are a modification now. I can't think of too many other modifications you'd take with this one, maybe HCIT, or Quad Battery Turrets for long-range HIEs. A bit sad to see my favorite Turbolaser upgrade nerfed a bit though.

>Quad Turbolaser Cannons

Also a modification, but it almost feels like this was done specifically to nerf H9/QTCs granting 2 accuracies (or an accuracy after a Weapons Battery Tech crit). Given these were already 10 points for an effect that has a 1/8 chance per die of proccing, I think these will start seeing even less play.

>XI7s

Probably the most fair nerf of the bunch. On its own its pretty much the same, but it no longer completely hoses Foresight and Advanced Projectors, which in turn still aren't a hard counter to XI7s.

>Engine Techs

No more double ramming, RIP.

>Brunson

She was pretty strong already, so no surprise she was priced up. I feel like 9 points is a lot though.

>Grint

Wording change

>Gunnery Team

No more triple attacks from an SSD. It'll still be a large/huge staple, but maybe a bit less of a default weapons team if you don't have the token economy to constantly use it.

>Ordnance Experts

2 free rerolls (no exhaust or command required!) for 4 points is still good, it just no longer guarantees to fix your whiffed shots or lets you fish for crits haphazardly. I've only played with these a couple times, but I rarely even need to reroll more than 2 dice at a time.

Overall, I'm honestly a bit disappointed in the changes. The absolute top-tier upgrades were reined in as expected, and a few underwhelming commanders got a buff, but other than them they didn't do anything to bring up any underwhelming upgrades. Yavaris got the nerf bat, and Independence remains one of the worst titles in the game. DTTs are still worthless next to LTTs. Most slot-defining upgrades are still slot-defining, they're just somewhat less effective and usually need a way to be fed tokens, but its not like Flotillas are expensive (plus they now have the resupply upgrades so they don't need to burn their own commands for Comms Net)

Edited by Flyinpenguin117

4 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

Redundant shields is the same as before... why!?! Modification and 8 points for 5 shields over 6 rounds at most? So bad. At least let us move 1 shield as well. Jesus. Did they decide not to change cards no one ever used?

Did they buff Heavy turbolaser turret? Such a staple upgrade, but so underwhelming in armada.

Well most of the changes help low how high the dice can roll so that -1 damage at the end of the round does help a little. Also Redundant shields is 10 engineering points over 5 rounds so that is something. Long range ships like MC80 home one can use it high shields. But hopefully they see this and change it with the Living RRG.

24 minutes ago, Triangular said:

I don't get why there had to be MORE modification-cards

H9 and QTC modification change is most likely for Ravager. But this make a problem with all modification cards for turbolasers, as 6/13 are NOT modifications (LTT is one). Making 2 turbolaser slots limited in what can be taken with out a turbolaser modification being used which slightly limits other slots upgrade choices but nothing that is popular.

Admiral buffs look fun to try out! I was hoping for more buffs to other binder filler cards though.

Nerfs are less exciting but a lot of these cards either felt too much like auto-includes or were built also the focal point of entire lists (Yavaris, Demo, Avenger). 

I like the direction they went with gunnery team requiring confire to use and ECM required spending a token to ready. I would like to see that sort of design space explored more.

7 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Oh man, I didn't realize this. RIP my H9/Battery Tech/SCBT Sunder.

not really just no guaranteed  acc and with H9. Does a Conf dial a token work with Ignition? (don't have onager) And WBT does make 2 blue get a 75% crit chance.